eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Writing a strong "I am dissappointed in you" letter to HR...

All these years, we had the best insurance coverage (through flex-benefits). This year, so many things have changed and even if you choose the basic coverage (medical+dental) which covers only up to 80%, its still costing close to $200 per month. I am outraged and I feel for so many of my colleagues.

It gets progressively worse as you add dependents to your list. So many employees are literally crying, not being able to afford these plans. So many of them have already written letters to the employer saying that they cannot manage with the expensive plan. I want to write a letter too. But I am not able to find any strong words (not rude, I just need strong lines).

My colleague, who is a clerk and making basic wages is planning on quitting. She is a single mother or 3 and she cannot afford this. This is the same case for sooooo many employees.

these plans are mandatory. You cannot choose out.

Any advises?

Last edited by Rakhi; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Writing a strong "I am dissappointed in you" letter to HR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
All these years, we had the best insurance coverage (through flex-benefits). This year, so many things have changed and even if you choose the basic coverage (medical+dental) which covers only up to 80%, its still costing close to $200 per month. I am outraged and I feel for so many of my colleagues.

It gets progressively worse as you add dependents to your list. So many employees are literally crying, not being able to afford these plans. So many of them have already written letters to the employer saying that they cannot manage with the expensive plan. I want to write a letter too. But I am not able to find any strong words (not rude, I just need strong lines).

My colleague, who is a clerk and making basic wages is planning on quitting. She is a single mother or 3 and she cannot afford this. This is the same case for sooooo many employees.

Any advises?
Wait, I thought you had government socialized healthcare in Canada??
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:32 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Any advises?
Honey, I am paying close to 350 a month. It used to be about 700 a month in my previous job.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Wait, I thought you had government socialized healthcare in Canada??
For ER services, walk-ins etc yes. We do have them.
For prescription drugs, dental care and other services, you need insurance.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Honey, I am paying close to 350 a month. It used to be about 700 a month in my previous job.
Zorro, how much tax do you pay in your state; I know there is a bracket you will fall under. I am talking about tax on other stuff you buy.

We pay 13% extra on EVERYTHING. On top of that, with my tax bracket, I get about 50% of what I make (net).

The insurance plan was so simple all these years. I dont know why they changed!!
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Zorro, how much tax do you pay in your state; I know there is a bracket you will fall under. I am talking about tax on other stuff you buy.

We pay 13% extra on EVERYTHING. On top of that, with my tax bracket, I get about 50% of what I make (net).

The insurance plan was so simple all these years. I dont know why they changed!!
To save money for the company .. duh!!!

And really, $200 per month is not bad. So quit whining.

We used to have free healthcare. Now we pay $500+ per month just for medical. Get used to it. The world is changing. You have to compete with workers in other countries where there is no healthcare provided. Its a global market.

In seriousness, if its that big a deal, start looking for another job.

BTW, last weekend I met someone from your company who knows you. Not personally, but has heard the name
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
To save money for the company .. duh!!!

And really, $200 per month is not bad. So quit whining.

We used to have free healthcare. Now we pay $500+ per month just for medical. Get used to it. The world is changing. You have to compete with workers in other countries where there is no healthcare provided. Its a global market.

In seriousness, if its that big a deal, start looking for another job.

BTW, last weekend I met someone from your company who knows you. Not personally, but has heard the name
That's the thing...HR claims that this plan is not going to save them money. They changed insurance companies but they keep maintaining that its costing the company almost the same as the previous one. Then, why change? I doubt they would lie. Being HR, they cannot. Or can they?

As management, I do not take that big a hit with paying $200 extra. I am more worried about everyone else who is here with me; I dont want to loose my team.

I keep raising all these issues with HR...which is falling on deaf ears.

P.S: Did I meet you and you didnt bother telling me? lol
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
That's the thing...HR claims that this plan is not going to save them money. They changed insurance companies but they keep maintaining that its costing the company almost the same as the previous one. Then, why change? I doubt they would lie. Being HR, they cannot. Or can they?

As management, I do not take that big a hit with paying $200 extra. I am more worried about everyone else who is here with me; I dont want to loose my team.

I keep raising all these issues with HR...which is falling on deaf ears.

P.S: Did I meet you and you didnt bother telling me? lol
lose ... lose .... lose ....

If they are loose, then you need to cut them loose and not worry about whether you will lose them.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
lose ... lose .... lose ....

If they are loose, then you need to cut them loose and not worry about whether you will lose them.

thanks...for lightening my mood. or should I say, ...what should I say?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with ya sista.. i'd write a strong letter too if it worked.. I'm footing close to 700 bucks a month.. Previous job i paid like 100 bucks a month for pretty much the same medical + dental.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

everyone of guys who have posted in this thread is paying lesser than what I pay.
I was happy till now.Now I have to do something about it.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I'm with ya sista.. i'd write a strong letter too if it worked.. I'm footing close to 700 bucks a month.. Previous job i paid like 100 bucks a month for pretty much the same medical + dental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
everyone of guys who have posted in this thread is paying lesser than what I pay.
I was happy till now.Now I have to do something about it.
There has to be a work around. This time LTD (long term disability) is made mandatory (50%). They are forcing us to pay for it. I already have LTD from outside as part of my life insurance. In the event I need it, the highest of the two would be paid to me; which is from outside.
So, why am I being forced for this?

I am not sure if going to legal aid woud help.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There has to be a work around. This time LTD (long term disability) is made mandatory (50%). They are forcing us to pay for it. I already have LTD from outside as part of my life insurance. In the event I need it, the highest of the two would be paid to me; which is from outside.
So, why am I being forced for this?

I am not sure if going to legal aid woud help.
In my professional career, Disability insurance has never been mandatory. I guess you have to find out if that is state policy or company policy. However, as far as your insurance premiums go, just for pharmacy and dental, it does look to be a little high. Do you know what your company participation in your premium is?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
In my professional career, Disability insurance has never been mandatory. I guess you have to find out if that is state policy or company policy. However, as far as your insurance premiums go, just for pharmacy and dental, it does look to be a little high. Do you know what your company participation in your premium is?
Disability insurance being mandatory is not the state policy. My husbands company doesnt ask them to pay.
I do not know how much the company contributes towards my premium. never really bothered. How would that help anyway?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Disability insurance being mandatory is not the state policy. My husbands company doesnt ask them to pay.
I do not know how much the company contributes towards my premium. never really bothered. How would that help anyway?
Nothing we are talking about here is going to help you in any way. Just wanted to know and compare to what happens here.

You should be able to opt out of the disability insurance. Show proof of coverage to your HR.