eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 5th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Beauty Contests

There has been a spurt in Beauty contests with women parading before audience in skimpy dresses. I am against them becos:

1. It is degradation of womanhood.
2. It concentrates on outer beuty as against inner beauty (Mother Theresa)
3. It destroys the morals of society
4. It is against Indian Culture (both Hindu and Muslim )
5. It is a ploy by Westerners at cultural domination as these contests are of multi-national making.

Is all this right? Must we for a few rupees destroy thye very fabric of our culture?

Shring
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
In beauty contests. we have women strutting around in skimpy dresses because men would look funny doing the same.
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:19 AM
eFriend

awara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of light
What this beauty contest is doing in Indian Politics forum

Awara Hawa ka Jhonka Hoon, aa Nikla Hoon Pal do Pal ke Liye.
When you meet a man, you know his face but not his heart
Apni apni dhapli aur apna apna raag, eCharcha me apne baato ke gole daag
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Proud Hindusthani

chirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
In beauty contests. we have women strutting around in skimpy dresses because men would look funny doing the same.
@LOL

Imagining ... ... enri walking on stage in skimpy dressess......

Old June 5th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
I do not find anything wrong with them.

Period.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
chonglee... gadaar.. mardjaat ke dushman.. abe saal me ek baar oogle karne ka maukaa miltaa hai aur tujh ko is par bhi objection.. are ladkiyon ka pared nahi hogaa to kyaa gaay bhainson ka parade karvaayega..

Mard jaat se gadaari bahut mahangi padegi.. you will soon hear war cries.. I warn you..
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
there is a fine line between admiring beauty and vulgarity.

Whenever a contest or a contestant crosses that, it causes all sorts of problems for everybody.

Old June 5th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Beauty Contests are essentially a Western construct. Do we need it? Is it not Western hegemony?? Do we say the Star-spangled banner instead of Janaganamana? Then why beauty contests?? THINK!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Banned

SlyBoots is on a distinguished road
CAll me a broad minded dude ,but I am a great admirer of beauty shows both for men as well as for men .

I might not have had the same views had I been born before Christ .
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I am THINK!!!ing.

As long as women are not being forced into it, why should anyone object? If they want to win fame and money by showing of their bodies, more power to them. They are exercising a freedom of choice. As long as it is not against the law, it is fine. If you are asking that this be outlawed, then you obviously belong with the Taliban or something.

Why stop with women .. then we outlaw the Mr. Universe contest, all sports contests (after all they are only showing off their basketball skills, not their "internal beauty")?

What culture are you talking about anyway? The one where its ok to kill a person because he is not of your religion/caste/mindset but its not ok to have beauty contests? That is the culture you want to protect?
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Banned

SlyBoots is on a distinguished road
Myrating for this thread

Old June 5th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Shringarey
Beauty Contests are essentially a Western construct. Do we need it? Is it not Western hegemony?? Do we say the Star-spangled banner instead of Janaganamana? Then why beauty contests?? THINK!!!!!
chingaree, ever been to gujarat?
heard of Navaratri?

one of the purposes of Navratri(I believe) was to provide a platform for the females to "show off" in order to attract the best male for her. So is it a bad idea?

To "show off" is the prerogative of the females.....to Woo is the duty of the male.

Old June 5th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Diplu yaar,

you reminded me of those good old days
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Smelli,

As long as women are not being forced into it, why should anyone object? If they want to win fame and money by showing of their bodies, more power to them. They are exercising a freedom of choice. As long as it is not against the law, it is fine.

1. Why dont we permit ppl to go nude? Its against morality - right? Everything cannot be a matter of choice. You see, Beauty contests are a ploy to sell us lipsticks and shampoo when what we need is food and education.

2. You say that "as long as it is not against the law" - I am asking that we pass a law banning them

3. You say "If they want to win fame and money by showing of their bodies, more power to them". Im not against women having fame and power. But do it a way that does not degrade womanhood - See Mo Theresa, M. Curies, etc

4. Beauty contests are discriminatory to Muslim women who have to wear the veil. Ever thought of their rights? Just for the sake of 2000 odd participants, you cannot ignore 200 mill Muslims and a majority of right thinking Hindus

5. Ideas have to be in consonance with thye culture. Tell me - are BCs in consonance with Indian culture??

6. Even most women are against BCs

7. Must we spend so much of national resources in a poor country like ours??

In sum - let women have power the proper way - not this shamagammy way plz.

Shr
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Pankhidaaaaaaaa oooo pankhidaaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat
one of the purposes of Navratri(I believe) was to provide a platform for the females to "show off" in order to attract the best male for her. So is it a bad idea?
I didn't know that I don't believe in that either...

She called u Diplu again...

Sent from my iPhone.