eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > View - Counter View

Notices

View - Counter View Topics which have two differing view points

Old September 15th, 2018, 03:05 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Is Chivalry outdated?

Couple of experiences-
1. At workplace 2 ladies (one of whom is my client manager) are moving some furniture. I offer to help, but they decline saying 'We are strong'.
2. One desi lady is to load some stiff in my car. I offer help, but get the response "I go to a gym and can lift this much". Well and good for me.

But sometime back, wasnt watching ladies do some physical work supposed to be bad manners, if not unmanly.
Old September 15th, 2018, 07:31 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Chivalry outdated?

I observed old people tend to welcome help.. have helped some older people pick heavy stuff in parking lot of Sam's/Kroger or whatever.. offered helping a desi co-worker to get her stuff to the car.. who got a H-1B denial.. was asked to leave company premises within an hour.. but she refused saying I can do it myself. At least she said thank you.

I realized better not to offer help myself unless asked for..
Old September 15th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Couple of experiences-
1. At workplace 2 ladies (one of whom is my client manager) are moving some furniture. I offer to help, but they decline saying 'We are strong'.
2. One desi lady is to load some stiff in my car. I offer help, but get the response "I go to a gym and can lift this much". Well and good for me.

But sometime back, wasnt watching ladies do some physical work supposed to be bad manners, if not unmanly.
You missed an opportunity to retort. You should say that I could use a strong arm to move a couch from my apartment.

But first - what were they carrying? Hope it wasn’t some tutchu weight.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Couple of experiences-

It is not bad manners to offer help; it is to decline it with a retort. The could have politely declined. Hope they were not moving something very small?

I noticed something; it seems like a lot of women want to prove they are equally or more (physically) capable of men.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:42 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
It is not bad manners to offer help; it is to decline it with a retort. The could have politely declined. Hope they were not moving something very small?
The way i described it here sounds curt, but they did not sound impolite.
The firang managers were moving a table (a bit large one). The desi lady was moving a box of water bottles. I now think she said 'i can lift this' and not 'i can lift this much'. make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I noticed something; it seems like a lot of women want to prove they are equally or more (physically) capable of men.
Reminds me of another instance. Another Desi lady was caught in a new door system. She said she was not much hurt because she does weights in the gym.