eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old September 5th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Question Breakfast

Me being from south india , i am well aware about the types of food we eat for every day Breakfast.
Typically a south indian breakfast comprises of Idli,Dosa, Vada, Upma , Poori . But still there are quite a lot of variations in south india itself. I would like to know the Breakfast delicasies of fellow echarchans here ..coming from various parts of India.

What does Maharashtra people eat for their breakfast , other than Bal Thackeray's early morning beer in samna ?

People , Please do post your Breakfast here.

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old September 5th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
My family ate (and I suppose they still do) bread and butter for breakfast (eggs on Sundays). Most of my relatives do the same thing.

My present family (myself, hubby and kids) don't take any breakfast. We just wake up in a hurry and go to school/work as soon as possible. I know it is not a good habit, but can't help it. We are just not hungry in the morning.
Old September 5th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Banned

karuna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
My family ate (and I suppose they still do) bread and butter for breakfast (eggs on Sundays). Most of my relatives do the same thing.

My present family (myself, hubby and kids) don't take any breakfast. We just wake up in a hurry and go to school/work as soon as possible. I know it is not a good habit, but can't help it. We are just not hungry in the morning.
I appreciate the candour with which you disclose your personal details.
Old September 5th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by karuna
I appreciate the candour with which you disclose your personal details.
It needs faith in fellow human beings rather than 'candour'.

BTW ..what do you take for your breakfast ?

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old September 5th, 2001, 04:32 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Back in Rajasthan during winter it was always CHOODI LADDU's
loaded with shud ghee and filled you for rest of the day. During summer Chappati soaked in butter (home made) and sugar sprinkled on it. During mangoe season Chappati with mangoe. We had many other breakfast specialities I can't emember the names.

In Mumbai being alone later part of teen years due to economic reasons and of course "value for money" dosas for breakfast. They filled and lasted you till afternoon .

A wonderful sindhi neighbor used to send me khichdi and sometime some very spicy chappati I can't remember the name.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old September 5th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Banned

karuna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Indian

It needs faith in fellow human beings rather than 'candour'.

BTW ..what do you take for your breakfast ?
I have not been having 'proper' breakfast eversince I started working.

What I consider as 'proper' breakfast is typical south indian items idli, dosa, upma etc. etc. much the same as Indian Bhai.

Here in Middle East, my office starts at 7.30, so really no time for breakfast. Brunch at 11/11.30 generally from Dairy Queen/KFC/McDonalds.
Old September 5th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Proud Hindusthani

chirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Breakfast

Quote:
Originally posted by Indian
Me being from south india , i am well aware about the types of food we eat for every day Breakfast.
Typically a south indian breakfast comprises of Idli,Dosa, Vada, Upma , Poori . But still there are quite a lot of variations in south india itself. I would like to know the Breakfast delicasies of fellow echarchans here ..coming from various parts of India.

What does Maharashtra people eat for their breakfast , other than Bal Thackeray's early morning beer in samna ?

People , Please do post your Breakfast here.

thats very rude of you indian ...bal thakrey`s beer for mahrashtrians...i think ure south indian brain must have leaked out of your ear after eating jayalalihas dosas cooked on her behind..lol

u call it upma we call it sanja..... ne batata poha lovers out there or
thalipeeth for nhyari...oh mahrashtrians have a lot of choice of foods for breakfast
Old September 5th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Pakka Desi

IA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really nice
now a days I just have a glass of milk as a part of breakfast. In India i used to eat Parotha with Aaloo or Aaloo Parotha or Poha or Kachori/Samosa or Fafda.
Old September 5th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
well, in India -

my dada used to have bhakri-shak, or bateta poha with hot masala tea.

My sister or me, never did have any. we would wake up and rush to school. Just had a glass of milk that too forcefully. We weren't allowed to step out till we had that.

Here - no time for breakfast for me. Hubby has milk and cereal with bananas or strawberries.

I am so busy getting a nutritious breakfast ready for my son, that in the end, have to make do with masala chai.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old September 5th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute
These days generally Bread and Eggs, with milk.

When I was at home in India, used to have paronthas most of the time (no wonder we Punjabis are fat).

Advice for all those who dont feel hungry in the morning. Try getting some exercise into ur lifestyle. U will definitely wake up hungry every morning, plus I think everyone knows the advantages of exercise.
Old September 5th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by IA
now a days I just have a glass of milk as a part of breakfast. In India i used to eat Parotha with Aaloo or Aaloo Parotha or Poha or Kachori/Samosa or Fafda.
Fafda?

Idreesbhai,

that is typically gujju. You from Gujarat? Just curious. You don't have to answer it, if you don't want to.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old September 5th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Usually cereal and juice. Then coffee in the office. But when I am on vacation I eat almost everything mentioned here for breakfast. When I was in Hyd. used to get idlli's on road side . Yummy. Also loved to eat fafda's & chutney . Arre yaar I am hugry already & it is not even lunch time. Kya karoon ?
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 5th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Pakka Desi

IA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really niceIA is just really nice
hu gujrat se nathi hun jo chay to Indore, MP se chun. And Indore is a part of malwa region which is highly famous for food. Mari mother tounge gujrati chay.
Old September 5th, 2001, 08:44 AM
X

Xandu is on a distinguished road
kya yaar....

opened this thread and read about people's mouthwatering prefs and no mood anymore for my English muffins...
Old September 5th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by tantric_yogi
Back in Rajasthan during winter it was always CHOODI LADDU's
loaded with shud ghee and filled you for rest of the day. During summer Chappati soaked in butter (home made) and sugar sprinkled on it. During mangoe season Chappati with mangoe.
slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppp!!! wooow...tantu...i envy ya..

bloody hell,have to rush in the mornin..gives me just enough time to eat oreo's cookies for breakfast here

when i waz back home in Bombay,i used to run in the mornin and get hot hot jalebi-fafdas along wih some cool pickles that they used to give...bosssssssssss....

life sux bigtime here wrt food