eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old October 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

chacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond repute
Breakfast Options

As soon as I hit 30, my metabolism decided to bid adieu and totally went outta window for good. Previously, every Diwali I used to finish 2-3 kilo mithai easily. This time, I hardly ate 3-4 laddus and I am already 2 pounds heavier So now I have decided I'm gonna go lean and eat things that I really enjoy and not all sorts of junk any time of the day. Eat 2 laddus and skip the late night ice-creams or the weekend desi feast! And with holidays approaching, there is gonna be more eating and hibernation. It's gonna be cold too so less exercise as well.

I'm starting by fixing my breakfast. I eat corn flakes almost everyday of the week which I'm kinda bored to death by now. I used to make fresh cereal in the morning but hardly do I get any time anymore. Good old hot cereal with fruits, almonds and raisins. I'm gonna get back to that starting next week (my commute is about to get shorter by 30 mins). But I also want to know if there is anything interesting other than cereal and flakes that is tasty and healthy at the same time. One thing I really hate about cereal/flakes is the sweetness. As a kid, I was raised on desi nashta, which used to be mostly spicy. Totally outta options here

So what do you guys do for breakfast? Is desi stuff good after you're 30-35? Upma, dosa, poha, idli etc. (mostly starch)? For me, I'm gonna have to make this stuff over the weekend and maybe freeze it
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breakfast Options

Chacha, shaadi manaya ki nahi ... es suwaal ka juwaab de de
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

chacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond reputechacha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Chacha, shaadi manaya ki nahi ... es suwaal ka juwaab de de
haan ek biwi hai ghar mein . why but u asking?
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I have lost a ton of weight over last 6 months by simply changing my diet and doing regular exercise.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I have lost a ton of weight over last 6 months by simply changing my diet and doing regular exercise.

Sach? Ek ton kam ho gaya? Metric or British ton?

Ama .. tu aadmi hai ya blue whale?
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Me too I havent lost much weight but regular exercise helps anyways ... and yes I have split my lunch into two and I have it in parts ... The idea is to not have all at one go and eat only when you are hungry and only fill it up to 3/4ths full ...
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

Quote:
Exercise is not an issue at all. Until last month, I used to do bootcamps 5 days a week. Body finally gave in. Doctor advised PT for 4 weeks to let muscles adjust to the guerilla-style torture . Will be getting back to the camp routine Monday on. However, I really hate the fact that my weight fluctuates so much. One thing I have observed though is that whenever I don't drink, my weight stays put for longer.

I wanna know what kind of changes did you bring about in your diet? I dont wanna go through Atkins, South Beach kinda ordeal
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
As soon as I hit 30, my metabolism decided to bid adieu and totally went outta window for good.
metabolism to kam hota rahegaa age-key saath, bawaa ... kuch nahi kar sakta ...

Quote:
Previously, every Diwali I used to finish 2-3 kilo mithai easily.
maharaj, ek sitting mein 2-3 kilo zyaada nahi bahut zyaada hota hai ... unless you are dara singh competing on "Kaun Khayega Kilo Laddu", I dont think anyone can do it ...

Quote:
This time, I hardly ate 3-4 laddus and I am already 2 pounds heavier
I think after the second laddu, going for the third means that you were not concentrating on the taste and hence missed it the first two times ... dont eat in front of TV or anything that distracts your mind ... focus on eating and you will be surprised how much you enjoyed and how much the stomach really needs ...

Quote:
So now I have decided I'm gonna go lean and eat things that I really enjoy and not all sorts of junk any time of the day.
For this you need to be aware of what you are eating ... infact you need to be aware of your mind and that would be enough ... resolutions have never worked ...

Quote:
I'm starting by fixing my breakfast. I eat corn flakes almost everyday of the week which I'm kinda bored to death by now. I used to make fresh cereal in the morning but hardly do I get any time anymore. Good old hot cereal with fruits, almonds and raisins. I'm gonna get back to that starting next week (my commute is about to get shorter by 30 mins). But I also want to know if there is anything interesting other than cereal and flakes that is tasty and healthy at the same time. One thing I really hate about cereal/flakes is the sweetness. As a kid, I was raised on desi nashta, which used to be mostly spicy. Totally outta options here
I think unless you are feeling hungry in the morning, a light breakfast (like with cereals) is good otherwise what is wrong with the desi option
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Exercise is not an issue at all. Until last month, I used to do bootcamps 5 days a week. Body finally gave in. Doctor advised PT for 4 weeks to let muscles adjust to the guerilla-style torture . Will be getting back to the camp routine Monday on. However, I really hate the fact that my weight fluctuates so much. One thing I have observed though is that whenever I don't drink, my weight stays put for longer.

I wanna know what kind of changes did you bring about in your diet? I dont wanna go through Atkins, South Beach kinda ordeal
You dont need to go through these diet ordeals ... I dont understand, why we cant just eat when we feel hungry ... I mean Yoga recommends ghee and what not but that recommendation applies for the kind of man that used to exist during the Yoga times ... we are not farmers anymore ... we dont do any strenous exercises (besides ofcourse you know , but still how many reps can one do in a day) ... So plan accordingly ...

and Yes get rid of booze ...
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

NO, nothing fancy in my diet.

Simple changes - elimination of all kinds of unhealthy carbohydrates or carbs which get used up quickly. For example, no white bread, no rice, no fried foods, etc. Replaced with better carbs like steamed veggies or very less oil used to cook veggies. Whole grain bread but no more than 2 slices at a time.

Higher protein intake - Grilled fish, grilled/tandoori chicken with steamed veggies or raw salads. Very filling and low in carbs and fats.

Basically I have a breakfast of two or three egg whites made into a omellette using a low fat canola oil spray. With this only two small slices of whole grain bread.

Then a protein shake around 10 - 10:30 AM. Then lunch is two small chapatis with either chicken (only 50 ml oil used for cooking 1 pound chicken breast) or grilled fish and salad.

Then at 3:30 or 4 I have one more protein shake. Simple protein powder mixed with water.

7:30 or 8:00PM dinner - grilled chicken/fish with salads or sprouts cooked desi style. 1 slice of bread or 2 small chapatis.

Trust me, this diet was approved by a proper dietician recommended by my primary care physician. Also my gym trainer recommended this '5 meals' a day diet.

I dont feel hungry, I feel energetic and never feel empty stomach. I am allowed half a medium size apple as late night snack if I get hungry.

And offcourse atleast 4 days of strenous exercise at the gym!

I dont want to brag about my weight loss, but I have gained a lot of lean muscle, lost double digit inches on the waist line and feel very 'Salman Khan' type
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

Quote:
metabolism to kam hota rahegaa age-key saath, bawaa ... kuch nahi kar sakta ...

maharaj, ek sitting mein 2-3 kilo zyaada nahi bahut zyaada hota hai ... unless you are dara singh competing on "Kaun Khayega Kilo Laddu", I dont think anyone can do it ...

I think after the second laddu, going for the third means that you were not concentrating on the taste and hence missed it the first two times ... dont eat in front of TV or anything that distracts your mind ... focus on eating and you will be surprised how much you enjoyed and how much the stomach really needs ...

For this you need to be aware of what you are eating ... infact you need to be aware of your mind and that would be enough ... resolutions have never worked ...

I think unless you are feeling hungry in the morning, a light breakfast (like with cereals) is good otherwise what is wrong with the desi option
landyaji, ek sitting mein nahie mere bhai. entire diwali 10-15 days mein 2-3 kilo khaata tha easily. iss saal poore diwali mein 4 laddu khaaya hoon main. there were 24 in the box, 20 are left now, so no cheating there.

watz wrong with desi option? no clue but according to me, first off, you start with ekdum raapchik tadka in garmagaram tel. then you put rava, poha, rice whatever it is you like which is 100% carbs. not sure how nutritious it is in other departments (proteins, fiber etc.) more than anything else, time is of essence in the AM
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
landyaji, ek sitting mein nahie mere bhai. entire diwali 10-15 days mein 2-3 kilo khaata tha easily. iss saal poore diwali mein 4 laddu khaaya hoon main. there were 24 in the box, 20 are left now, so no cheating there.

watz wrong with desi option? no clue but according to me, first off, you start with ekdum raapchik tadka in garmagaram tel. then you put rava, poha, rice whatever it is you like which is 100% carbs. not sure how nutritious it is in other departments (proteins, fiber etc.) more than anything else, time is of essence in the AM
But there are many healthier options for naastha in the Indian cuisine ... The idea is to plan a meal for the whole day not for a single serving ... We have become americanized ... We want to have it all in one serving whether AM, PM or in-between ...
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

Quote:
But there are many healthier options for naastha in the Indian cuisine ... The idea is to plan a meal for the whole day not for a single serving ... We have become americanized ... We want to have it all in one serving whether AM, PM or in-between ...
Aap symptom bataa rahe ho ilaaj nahie Pataa hai bachche ko bukhaar hai, but bachche ko bukhaar kyon hai? pls give me some alternate desi options than poha, upma, dosa, idli.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
En route Lal Mirchi...

Quote:
NO, nothing fancy in my diet.

Simple changes - elimination of all kinds of unhealthy carbohydrates or carbs which get used up quickly. For example, no white bread, no rice, no fried foods, etc. Replaced with better carbs like steamed veggies or very less oil used to cook veggies. Whole grain bread but no more than 2 slices at a time.

Higher protein intake - Grilled fish, grilled/tandoori chicken with steamed veggies or raw salads. Very filling and low in carbs and fats.

Basically I have a breakfast of two or three egg whites made into a omellette using a low fat canola oil spray. With this only two small slices of whole grain bread.

Then a protein shake around 10 - 10:30 AM. Then lunch is two small chapatis with either chicken (only 50 ml oil used for cooking 1 pound chicken breast) or grilled fish and salad.

Then at 3:30 or 4 I have one more protein shake. Simple protein powder mixed with water.

7:30 or 8:00PM dinner - grilled chicken/fish with salads or sprouts cooked desi style. 1 slice of bread or 2 small chapatis.

Trust me, this diet was approved by a proper dietician recommended by my primary care physician. Also my gym trainer recommended this '5 meals' a day diet.

I dont feel hungry, I feel energetic and never feel empty stomach. I am allowed half a medium size apple as late night snack if I get hungry.

And offcourse atleast 4 days of strenous exercise at the gym!

I dont want to brag about my weight loss, but I have gained a lot of lean muscle, lost double digit inches on the waist line and feel very 'Salman Khan' type
This is very interesting.

How do you go about cooking the grilled chicken/fish(desi style)? recipe pls. also, do you cook n store it or you'd advise cooking it the previous night?
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
This is very interesting.

How do you go about cooking the grilled chicken/fish(desi style)? recipe pls. also, do you cook n store it or you'd advise cooking it the previous night?
I marinate the chicken breasts just like you would marinate for a tandoori chicken i.e. with our desi masala and lemon juice, etc. So when I grill it turns out like tandoori chicken breast. I use that George Foreman grill.

Same with Salmon fish. Use desi masalas. There is no harm in eating desi masalas. Just that keep your oil intake in check. I can post recipes in the recipe section later.

Also when cooking chicken curry, dont use whole chicken but the lean white breast meat. Also buy the measuring cups you get. Use no more than 60 ml oil to cook, say one full chicken breast. Again with desi taste!

Basically people get sick of diets because the food tastes yucky, but my dietician said I can eat all desi masala as long as I eat non fried and avoid using too much oil.

It works. It worked for a fat slob like me. And hey, no crash diet, no fads, simple regular everyday food - just changed what I eat and how its cooked.