eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Economy

Notices

Economy Fiscally fit?

Old December 1st, 2010, 04:16 AM
aam aurat

Parijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond repute
Maharashtra sliding into BIMARU slot?

Link
A new study by a University of Mumbai economics professor Mala Lalvani shows that Maharashtra, once seen as an epitome of growth, development and progress, fares quite poorly when compared to the country's four BIMARU states Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.

Lalvani's conclusion is echoed by many senior economists. ''Maharashtra is really two states. Mumbai and its environs make up one and then there is the rest of Maharashtra, which is in extremely bad shape. There has been a certain neglect there. One needs to critically look at Maharashtra from the district and the sub-district level and see that there is a stark reality of terrible deprivation,'' said Indira Rajaraman, member of the 13th Finance Commission of India.

Senior economists, like Abhay Pethe, blame the complete breakdown of governance. ''Whatever indicators one looks at, if you take the Mumbai Metropolitan Region out of Maharashtra, the situation is pretty bad. The number of electoral representatives from the backward districts is falling because of delimitation and the fast urbanization of the state is causing an imbalance in growth,'' added Pethe.
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maharashtra sliding into BIMARU slot?

Yeah.. and this lopsided development will one day cause the breakup of maharashtra - vidharbha and khandesh are almost ready for plucking.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old December 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

What? We have our great Mr Pawar He'll take care of everything!
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM
aam aurat

Parijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, report is not with proper perspective. Maharashtra cannot be compared to bimaru states - for literacy, HDI(human development index), electricity supply to % of households, malnutrition and poverty etc, even a quick look at wiki stats for Indian states shows that Maharashtra is among better states. In fact, the state that joins bimaru states is West Bengal, ruined by 30 years of commie rule and huge influx of Bangladeshis(encouraged/ignored by kaangrace & commies).

I think however, states like Punjab, Haryana, Maharashtra need a wake up call, for different reasons. Punjab, Haryana(more so Haryana) and Western UP though they have high income if we see the factors like civic sense and education seem to be backward (a report in India Today for state wise figures showed that more households in Punjab have TV but fewer number have toilets). Maharashtra has due to the huge income generated by Mumbai has gone down due to corruption - too much temptation I guess.

I think what Maharashtra needs is a respite from greedy (for power and $$) and arrogant leaders like Sharad Pawar and too many to name corrupts from kaangrace. I have some sympathy for Shiv Sena but their Marathi pride is counter productive I feel - seems to me it has turned from pride to chauvinism now! In Bangalore too we have a situation where locals are outnumbered by outsiders and we have outfits like Kannada Rakshana Vedike that go on rampage sometimes but not on the scale as SS, as the kannadiga is more laid back compared to marathi manoos and we have not had had the kind of influx like Mumbai as it is the IT industry that is booming. Just my 2 anna worth!