eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Economy

Notices

Economy Fiscally fit?

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bihar shows the way - again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma View Post
That's what is a laughing point...... Computer Based Tests for CAT werent like landing a man on moon...... Something that was happening for the first time...... Even the state secondary board results are put on internet since last ten years now, as you rightly pointed out......!!! And here you have these guys doing this time tested thing and not getting even one right thing after the world had been doing it for more than ten years by then...... More pathetic were their comments that came later on......
Oh...tell Prometric to arrange CBT for 1000000 aspirants at the same time around the country with assurance that no cheating would take place... and let's see if all goes well. It was not easy to pull off... but that does not mean that they failed forever.

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
Oh...tell Prometric to arrange CBT for 1000000 aspirants at the same time around the country with assurance that no cheating would take place... and let's see if all goes well. It was not easy to pull off... but that does not mean that they failed forever.
The Question is NOT technology, the question is Management...... If the current technology was not capable of taking care of so many candidates appearing at the same time, then what did the Management gurus do to make sure that contingency plans are drawn well in advance.....!!!! Why werent the tests conducted in a phased manner..... Why didnt they have distributed servers...... Or whatever.......
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Rahul, results being declared using just one input - the roll number - is one thing, having lakhs of students taking an interactive test is quite another. Also, the tests were conducted by Prometric (as far as I remember) and maybe they didn't appreciate the scale of the project. Teething troubles.. will clear out within a year or so, and in another decade every village will have interactive online classes
Again the same reply, RR...... The question is NOT technology...... The question is Management...... Where were the contingency plans.....?? Why did the tests have to go all in one go...... etc etc.... Why didnt they 'survey' the markets to find out if so many students taking part in a test is possible or not...... ..... That's what we learn in Management Jargons, right....??? Back up plans.... Redundancy plans..... contingencies....... Market surveys..... Feasibility studies.....
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma View Post
The Question is NOT technology, the question is Management...... If the current technology was not capable of taking care of so many candidates appearing at the same time, then what did the Management gurus do to make sure that contingency plans are drawn well in advance.....!!!! Why werent the tests conducted in a phased manner..... Why didnt they have distributed servers...... Or whatever.......
Frankly, you're nitpicking brother.... no one is saying that they did not mess it up... at least they gave it a shot... We are a vast country and sometimes logistics problems are unforeseen... hope they've learnt something from it and hope they do a better job next time.

Last edited by chitrala; February 4th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Rahul, again drawing from the earlier experiences - when the computers were new, everybody thought that the computer did your accounts and payrolls and inventories. It was supposed to be the magic box. This led to a lot of disappointments and then to more reasoned expectations. The management then weren't stupid. They were progressive enough to try the new technology, they were convincing enough to get a budget of about 1 lakh rupees per computer (yes, computers were really costly earlier). But then slowly they learnt to use the technology to derive the maximum benefit from it.

The screwups happen, some heads roll, and then the use of technology is polished and optimised.

Even with the SSC results, first 2-3 years they subcontracted the work to the outsiders, and then slowly the Board's computer department took up the work themselves .. and the things are real smooth now. It will be the same. Put down 1-2 years as learning experience.. give them some leeway to make mistakes - this too, is a part of management.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Rahul, again drawing from the earlier experiences - when the computers were new, everybody thought that the computer did your accounts and payrolls and inventories. It was supposed to be the magic box. This led to a lot of disappointments and then to more reasoned expectations. The management then weren't stupid. They were progressive enough to try the new technology, they were convincing enough to get a budget of about 1 lakh rupees per computer (yes, computers were really costly earlier). But then slowly they learnt to use the technology to derive the maximum benefit from it.

The screwups happen, some heads roll, and then the use of technology is polished and optimised.

Even with the SSC results, first 2-3 years they subcontracted the work to the outsiders, and then slowly the Board's computer department took up the work themselves .. and the things are real smooth now. It will be the same. Put down 1-2 years as learning experience.. give them some leeway to make mistakes - this too, is a part of management.
Koi aur kare to chori, woh kare to leela..... You argument is on this theme..... I dont understand what was so much complicated in it, either from Technology point of view or Management point of view, that it would require multiple failures to learn....... RR, these things were time tested, proven and had been in market for more than a decade....... I'll tell you what happened...... The so-called Management Gurus, who drip words like contingency, risk-appetite, risk management etc etc, simply slept after giving the work to a welknown company - Prometric....... They simply didnt envisage that such a reputed company can also do blunders and especially in a country like India, where there are too many unforseens...... From a Dog in the server room to a surprise power failure...... Now these management gurus simply didnt do the correct risk analysis...... Had they done what they teach, they might NOT have gone for the tests in one go...... They might have phased it...... They might have conduted these tests over a period of one week or something like that..... So that the failure wouldnt 'appear' collosal and absolute.....

Plus you are giving an instance of early days of computers....... The two events are not comparable...... That's what I said in my first post even that EVEN from a Technological Standpoint, it wasnt something as new or unproven as landing a man on moon...... I am happy these Management Gurus are never entrusted with such high risk ventures...... Nahi to na man hoga na moon...... ..... Moreover, your comparison of early days of computers would have been valid if I were trying to fault Prometric Guys, which I am NOT doing..... (Being an engineer myself, I'll always carry a soft corner for technical guys.... ... )

Last edited by rahulpsharma; February 4th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
Frankly, you're nitpicking brother.... no one is saying that they did not mess it up... at least they gave it a shot... We are a vast country and sometimes logistics problems are unforeseen... hope they've learnt something from it and hope they do a better job next time.
You call it nitpicking, I call it 'samaalochnaa'..... 'They atleast gave it a shot'.... Bandhu, you are saying as if they have given a shot at building a new rocket technology...... Poor ISRO/DRDO guys take so much of flak for failed launches etc..... Reserve this statement for these guys, bro.... Cos that is a real venture into the unproven and unknown...... These morons didnt even have the courtesy to acknowledge that they had screwed it up...... I've dont remember exact words but I remember the kind of lame excuses they were coming up with in the aftermath of fiasco....... Using the same old 'twist the word' technique.....
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute

Rakhi,

Are you kidding me?! Who in their right mind would not consult the alumni? Even when I graduated, I had consulted mine and I am more than 100% sure that the students who has taken a drastic decision would know what they are doing. He is an IIMA, give him some credit.

And you keep saying poor chap, if that's what he wants to do, what is wrong in taking that path? Also, its the students responsibilty to think about what decisions he is making. Dont keep calling him bakra. He has a brain of his own.

I think you are missing the point. I am NOT cribbing against the iima grad. I am cribbing against the prof who seduces him. Who pumps air into him. You say that "give him credit because he is iima". I tell you this - An IIMA fresher is far lower in practical sense than a non-MBA who has worked in Industry for say 10 years. However, the moment the iima guy gets 5 years under his belt, he is far better than most with even 30 years experience. He is fresh, he has great dreams and ideals. The "guru" is supposed to guide him, not mis-guide him.

Your definition of responsibility could be different from mine. Just because you think getting a job, wife and family as responsibility, we cannot rub the same rules on everyone.He feels responsible towards his PATH. So be it. We dont have to expect everyone to have same rules.Also what makes you think that getting a job, wife/husband, family woud somehow improve his position?
Touche!! You got me there. Maybe I am putting my own ideas of "PATH" on others. My mistake. I have met many people who have done such things. Several of them regreted it and were bitter about it. Several LOVED it and are still LOVING it. There is a guy i know who is working (with wife) with Tribals in Naxal area. I have seen on his face something I have rarely seen - HAPPINESS.

So I take back that part of the argument. Maybe I shouldn't put/push my ideas on others and judge others by my values. Fair enough. However, I'm still bitter about these IIMA profs who take people for a jolly ride.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Be Original.

Duplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond reputeDuplicate has a reputation beyond repute

Abe, in ikke dukke $$^& ke sardard paal lene se kuchh bhi nahin hoga... we need revolution... and then evolution... chale hain social entrepreneurship dikhane... capital se zyada bada to word hai.