eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 27th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is God A State of Mind?

Okay we have had so many opinions on God especially in regards to the pledge of allegiance and our Jana Gana Mana.

I wanted to ask you - Is God a State of Mind?

What I personally think is that God is a state of mind and everyone conceives him differently.

Please think a bit and answer... not the usual derailment..

Atheists too can answer ..
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Junior eCharchan

mumbai_gal is on a distinguished road
God does exists!!

agar God sirf state of mind hain to phir Ramayan, Mahabharat, Gr8 Saibaba woh sab sach nahi hain. bas serialshi hain kya
Old June 27th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
What is a state of mind? I don't understand.

Is it the imotional status you are talking about ... like anger, love/affection, joyous and happy, etc..? If not, I still don't understand what you mean by state of mind. Do you by chance mean "Figment of imagination" ??!!?? And everyone imagines differently ??
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
For me

God is a state of mind means that God is in my mind. I believe that God exists and He created all that is around us and beyond us.

State of mind means I believe in God at all times and in all states of mind.

Maybe I was not too clear in my one line statement.
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Mere favourite topic chipka diya Sunit ne.

I believe that God is a creation of human beings. Reasons for this creation could be various most important of them being insecurity and a source of instilling fear. In order to show the goodness of God, the devil had to be created also.

In some other thread, Smelly had given his version of God which I thought was great.

My question has still remain unanswered "If God is perfect, why did he create and imperfect universe"? Another question is Why did God create the devil?
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Bush Supporter

tinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these partstinda is infamous around these parts
there is a supreme power, is this god? i don't know. is it fair and neutral - probably.

should someone have a right to impose it on u? absolutely not!
Old June 28th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
As per Hinduism (certain sects of the same), defines God as the soul with completely good qualities. All the categories of the gunas are Saatvik. In Hinduism the god (Ishwara) has infinite forms and qualities.

The other souls have different proportion of the three gunas (satv, rajo and tamo) in the three categories.

Kali is the evil soul with all the three catregories of the gunas are Tamasik in nature.

Souls existed with their qualities. Nobody created them. So God did not create me. I believe in this firmly. Yes, he did give me this body to perform my duties.
Old June 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
god is not a state of "mind". he is a state of the "soul". if the state of a man's soul is powerful enough spiritually then he will become god in mind, body and soul.
Old June 28th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
if no has ever told you about god.. whould u know about god... i guess not. god is not a State of Mind.. it was instilled in your mind by the people around you.

We are born on this earth, with the help of our parents(not god) we learn to speak and walk with the help of our family(not god).. we get educated by our teachers(not god).. if we work get paid by our employer(not god).. when we do good deeds.. we feel happy(not because of god).. if we do bad things we feel sad(not because of god)

god does not play a role in any of the activites.. and still there people who will give credit to him/her/it.

all i say is stop worring about god and go ahead with your life.. you will still be happy as you are now... maybe even happier(you will save all the money you spend on puja)
Old June 28th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Blrboy, I'll tell you a true story.

My BIL went down with Falciparum Malaria in June 2000. Since his condition was extremely critical he was moved to a hospital. The Doctor who is my cousin, put in all his efforts, tried out all possible medication in order to cure my BIL. He was indeed cured. Guess who the credit went to? My in-laws (incl. my hubby) who are devotees of some Swami, gave the credit to him. They still say that my BIL owes his life to the Swami. Not a single word of praise went to the Doctor, who had lost his sleep to give care to his patient.
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

SimpleHuman will become famous soon enough
For me God is a belief and if I believe in it? The existence of God is there for sure!!! Same goes to the Muslim holy scripture it says very clearly that “this book is for the believer, non-believer will not make any sense out of it!”

Ever wonder why most of the scientist end up crazy??? Here is my reason I may be totally wrong but this is what I think… after going through tons of information from real work they come to a dead end, “WHO MADE GOD?” that’s it they cant go beyond this and its over…

For me whatever is happening in present time is from God so I really don’t care if God doesn’t want Kashmir or Palestine problem to be solved then it wont no matter who comes forward and what one can do to calm the situation.

Disclaimer… This is my personal opinion no one has to completely agree on this with me

---Not Me!
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:56 AM
eCharchan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
Blrboy, I'll tell you a true story.

My BIL went down with Falciparum Malaria in June 2000. Since his condition was extremely critical he was moved to a hospital. The Doctor who is my cousin, put in all his efforts, tried out all possible medication in order to cure my BIL. He was indeed cured. Guess who the credit went to? My in-laws (incl. my hubby) who are devotees of some Swami, gave the credit to him. They still say that my BIL owes his life to the Swami. Not a single word of praise went to the Doctor, who had lost his sleep to give care to his patient.
You shd have asked that question to that doctor .. Did he cure his patient?

In my doctor's office I see a sign on his table " I treat , God Cures"
What you think abt it?

and Just to make it clear.. for me, All these Dhongi Swami's are ppl to make us (hutiya.. There can be no one between you and your GOD.. if u believe there is one..
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Banned

SlyBoots is on a distinguished road
Arrow Wheteher anyone believes it or not , BUT The fact remains -

God the way that it is understood and accepted today just doesn't exists outside the thought process.
Old June 28th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan

You shd have asked that question to that doctor .. Did he cure his patient?

In my doctor's office I see a sign on his table " I treat , God Cures"
What you think abt it?

and Just to make it clear.. for me, All these Dhongi Swami's are ppl to make us (hutiya.. There can be no one between you and your GOD.. if u believe there is one..
is that what they teach in medical school. you treat and god will cure patients.
Old June 28th, 2002, 08:11 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Family has been invited out and I find myself alone in hotel room and with time to kill ... I will take liberty with my opinions ...

Here is MY very safe version just right for any and most situations or times when you do not wish to stir emotions up ...

I will keep it simple. I believe God does not have a personality ... God does not have a gender ... God has neither the inclination nor the means to watch my every move and or punish me
according to some archaic karmic law ...

I think God is male so as not to offend other half of humanity I also believe GODDESS is female ... l call my GOD a Diety ...
I put it to you that Diety is not a thing that can be known, nor is it a separate thing that is apart from every one of us individuals ... as I see it, Divinity is something that each of us humans has a piece of, and as such, each of us contributes some energy into the making of the divine entity ...

It's much like weather ; everyone has some sort of weather at any given moment; the same is true for Divinity. Weather does not "punish" you for being bad, it's a matter of timing and placement ... whether you get rained on or have sunshine.

Diety comes and goes in our lives, is hot or cold in our lives, is pleasant or unpleasant, and has no hidden agenda. In yogi's humble opinion, if you can think of divinity as "internal weather", you come close to what I am thinking about here ... therefore it is safe for me to put it in a nutshell that God (Goddess, The IS, The Energy, whatever we choose to call it) is the whole, of which we and everything else is a part ... of course there is much more to it than that The total is more than the sum of it's parts... this is just my own take on it, of course ...

Because only way you can generate heat here at echarcha is by sticking your neck out ... here is my another take
or version written BIG JI style:

This is the God as I have come to understand His androgynous being ... God is one smart sexy dude who created all that there is and left his "mark" in and through all of it in the form of matter and energy (like gravity and centrifugal force) ... He has a definite
personality (how else could He have created ours?) ...

He has a terrific sense of humor and is overflowing with love ... he can laugh and he can cry ... He is a brilliant genius and an awesome artist ... and oh can He dance ... better than Aish or Tabbu or Salman Khan ...

He also knows a whole bunch of shit that I can't
even begin to comprehend ... His body might be the entire universe, but He is just as capable of becoming like us (incarnating) in order to help us to learn ... I believe that He is always incarnate somewhere in this world in order to help us to grow and to learn ...

It is my belief that this world is a school, only I am so ignorant that I don't even know what the curriculum is and that I am bloody flunking.

While in human form He is the best lay around and women adore him by the thousands as Lord Krishna and young ladies (Gopis) of an entire village ... Of course He would incarnate as a woman for US men sometimes.

I believe in life after death and a heaven of sorts, but definitely
not a hell ... I believe that reincarnation MIGHT be a reality, but I am uncertain about it at present ... God also has the capability of having a terrible temper and of possessing all of the emotions that He has created inside of us ... because He can love so He also can hate! Since we are capable of interpersonal
relationships, He has to have that same capacity,
but I have never been certain if He personally cares for me as an individual. How could he possibly keep track of all of us and of all of the things that He has created boggles my mind.

He can do absolutely anything His heart desires, but He usually
operates within the laws ("of nature") that he has created ...
unfortunately, it appear that he expects us to figure out what those laws are without His direct intervention.

I'm sure there is a lot more I could add, but the stress of thinking
so hard is tiring both my brain and fingers and family will be returning back to hotel anytime so I will shut up ...

To borrow SimpleHumans disclaimer: This is my personal opinion no one has to completely agree on this with me!

Need I add ... LLKC?

Last edited by tantric_yogi; June 28th, 2002 at 08:15 AM.