eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Visitor visas

Notices

Visitor visas So you want to visit the USA for a social/business visit?

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Bad news for aliens(Indians) in US

Called the Real ID act, it has already sailed through the House of Representatives and is well on the fast track to clearance in the Senate, where it is attached to the Iraq funds request, which will ensure it gets passed pronto to became law.
"Real ID act, if enacted, would give the Secretary of Homeland Security unlimited powers. Immigrants will no longer be able to obtain driver's licenses or car insurance. Police can randomly stop an immigrant and ask him to prove his status and can arbitrarily detain him."
The bad part of this is that when they detain an immigrant, I don't think the family of the immigrant is informed even about his whereabouts/status. I mean, what can the family of the immigrant do, except pray for his safe-return. Are they supposed to think, some serial-killer / psycho killed their family member/ report to Cops ? Already there are so many laws allowing the Homeland Security to question immigrants and now more.
"In the name of national security, the immigrants are being stripped of their basic rights," says Aarti Shahani of Families for Freedom, a multi-ethnic defence network for immigrants fighting deportation.
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstor...r~aliens~in~US
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad news for aliens(Indians) in US

When a cop stops you for speeding, he does ask you for a driver's license as form of identification. In the post 9/11 world, I would support a cop asking for identification like a driver's license, green card or passport copy (for H1B visa holders) to verify the legal status of a person in the USA. When I was a contractor on H1B visa, our company had specifically asked us to carry our passport and H1 visa or copies atleast when we travelled out of station to, say, Vegas or for work.

However, I dont support detaining a person without identification and not allowing the person to contact his family or friends who might help in getting the identity papers.

As long as anyone here is on a H1B visa, B1 Visitor Visa or even a Permanent Resident Visa (Green Card), they are still 'legal aliens' in USA. So it should not be a problem to show your driver's license or state id which is issued to all H1B and Green Card holders. Visitors can carry a copy of their passport with them.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
However, I dont support detaining a person without identification and not allowing the person to contact his family or friends who might help in getting the identity papers.
Actually, this is what I was trying to point out through my post. You helped me out...lol. 9/11 has changed a lot of things. I have not yet experienced anything yet like this, but I do feel bad for those people, who based on their unusual "names" or nationalities get detained for no fault of theirs for "further investigation / questioning", even after having the necessary identification papers. (Once inside, I don't think they are allowed to contact anyone till their investigation is over)
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

I think article writer is jumping at conclusions ... Terminatorbhai, even before 9/11 Immigration and Naturalization agents went around apprehending illegal aliens ... off the streets, homes and work places.

Just as you carry drivers license at all times, as a proof of your proficiency behind the wheels ... so is pink colored card called green card, which identifies you, a legal migrant.

Only God and Kaangress party knows ... how India can afford to have millions of Baggerdeshis and Pukes roam around freely. Most developed countries can ill-afford enemies living within its own borders ... not when brain dead di(kheads have audacity to declare war, hell-bent upon turning the clock back to the dark ages. This is not about Indians ... this is about protecting once citizens ... America has every right. Donít you wish Indian government had the guts?

Gher kaa Vibishan lanka daay ...
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

UMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these parts
Talking Re: Bad news for aliens(Indians) in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
When a cop stops you for speeding, he does ask you for a driver's license as form of identification. In the post 9/11 world, I would support a cop asking for identification like a driver's license, green card or passport copy (for H1B visa holders) to verify the legal status of a person in the USA.
Do you carry your GC and passport with you all the time?

I don't think that this can happen. A traffic cop asking for immigration papers? that's ridiculous - how can a traffic cop be expected to understand dozens of different types of visas and verify if the passport is fake or not. With DL, they have a system to radio it in and check all info including unpaid tickets and expired registration. Will the cop call the migrant's home country to validate the passport? Even integrating immigration's system for visa validity into a traffic cop's system will take forever - with no guarantee that it will work. In a country where visas were sent by mail to 9/11 hijackers after 9/11, this is just too far fetched. They should first seal the border with mexico and all 9/11 hijackers were leaglly in the US.

I don't know why they need this new bill. The patriot act provides enough amunition to after any immigrant - not just immigrant anyone including a citizen. Does anyone know what's ACLU's stand on this? If you do, please post.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMA
Do you carry your GC and passport with you all the time?

I don't think that this can happen. A traffic cop asking for immigration papers? that's ridiculous - how can a traffic cop be expected to understand dozens of different types of visas and verify if the passport is fake or not. With DL, they have a system to radio it in and check all info including unpaid tickets and expired registration. Will the cop call the migrant's home country to validate the passport? Even integrating immigration's system for visa validity into a traffic cop's system will take forever - with no guarantee that it will work. In a country where visas were sent by mail to 9/11 hijackers after 9/11, this is just too far fetched. They should first seal the border with mexico and all 9/11 hijackers were leaglly in the US.

I don't know why they need this new bill. The patriot act provides enough amunition to after any immigrant - not just immigrant anyone including a citizen. Does anyone know what's ACLU's stand on this? If you do, please post.
Yes, my dear ... you are right.

Yaar kabhee to sense likha ker ... in most countries you are required to carry with you original or photocopy of documents, which verify your legal status in the country. Lawfully authorized personal do have variety of means at their disposal to check your status ... which includes contacting Immigration to verify your document and status ... on da phone.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Yes, my dear ... you are right.

Yaar kabhee to sense likha ker ... in most countries you are required to carry with you original or photocopy of documents, which verify your legal status in the country. Lawfully authorized personal do have variety of means at their disposal to check your status ... which includes contacting Immigration to verify your document and status ... on da phone.
Have mercy on Umabai....she's pregnant and anaemic...so less bloodflow in her brains
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute
Are these guys crazy....

Hey guys,
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstor...r~aliens~in~US
I read this article and was wondering...if these laws are enacted, how it would affect a lot of things in general...
Is BUsh goin crazier by the day...the other day i read this article abt banning h1-bs coz it seems companies r recruiting ppl r india/china etc and they r ready to work for lower wages.
ok...so isnt there a labour certification thats necessary that makes sure u get paid as much as the amaerican chewtiya. no...they cant fix that loophole..so they come back n say Ban work visas...
even better is what abt the corproate american bastard who is happy makin money for himself by recruiting underpaid (if that is true) foreign workers...so is he a traitor...i think he is...if u think it is harmonig american intersts n layin them off jobs...so shudnt justice begin with them...shudnt the ceo's of the intel's/cisco's/microcraps be sent to prison first for harmin american interests....
no they cant do that....so they coe back n say...Ban immigrants...
mofos....i say...these laws shud pass..every indian and chinese here shud go back home....companies like...pepsi...coke..levi...tommy..every american bran d in india shud be stopped from sellin...lets get back to makin our own stuff n enrich our country....
and i say it wunt be far when these amrus start applyin for our Visas/ration cards....and i say we make them carry a bag full of papres whever they go....and check them at every nook n corner....and then i say...we deport em all...

accha..chill...i was readin that article and jo bhi mann mein aaya..put it down...dunno how much of this i mean..or wud do...but the state of affiars is gettin stupid by the day...
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...ews+immigrants

Merging this with the above thread.