eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Visitor visas

Notices

Visitor visas So you want to visit the USA for a social/business visit?

Old April 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Renewing Indian passport in USA - Your opinions, experiences?

Folks,

Some time in the near future, next year, my Indian passport will expire. I have a 10 year passport and it will expire. However, I am here on Green Card and not eligible for applying for US citizenship till after the passport expires.

So, how do you go about renewing your passport or getting a new passport while in USA? Does Indian consulate (we have one in San Franciso) issue a new passport?

Any inputs will be really helpful.
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
eCharchan

santra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renewing Indian passport in USA - Your opinions, experiences?

Quote:
So, how do you go about renewing your passport or getting a new passport while in USA? Does Indian consulate (we have one in San Franciso) issue a new passport?
Yes you can renew passport at San Francisco Indian consulate. I got my renewed sometime back. typically it takes one week from the day of application. I will suggest you carry fees for renewal in cash. Drop it there personally and pick it up in person. Check the website http://www.cgisf.org/

For Passport size pictures COSTCO Zindabad fast and reasonable.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanka santra. Good information. Will use it when I have to go for it.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:08 AM
Banned

yrpude is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to New York at 5th Ave. there is a Indian consulate. Give passport at short notice. Fill the form on from down loading.
Meet me at 34th street mall at 7th Floor Indian cafe.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Folks,

Some time in the near future, next year, my Indian passport will expire. I have a 10 year passport and it will expire. However, I am here on Green Card and not eligible for applying for US citizenship till after the passport expires.

Any inputs will be really helpful.
Did this years ago. As it happens, I was in Arizona on a job during that week (and I needed to renew it fast, as I was going to India in a couple of months), so I merely filled out the paperwork, got it notarized by some bank employee and then dropped it off in the mail (after making a note of the passport # and xeroxing the first few pages first). New passport came in the mail a few weeks later. Oh and I sent it to the SF consulate. No mess, no fuss.

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Had mine renewed some years back. Couriered it (after making notarizing copies as Gunri pai has mentioned) and made sure that the return option was by courier too (just a few bucks extra). Got my new passport in about 10 days (NY consulate) Mail/courier is much more convenient than traveling to NYC

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Junior eCharchan

jimmyfatiano is on a distinguished road

hello everyone , i am living in the houston tx for over ten years and recently went to the indian consulate for renewing my indian passport which has expired for over 10 years and that passport was issued to me from india . the lady at the indian consulate in houston told me that it will take 6 to 7 months to renew the passport . i told her i need it for my green card as it is about to be approved any time , i gave her my work permit and all other stuff . then she told me that speak to the consulate officer , when i went there the receptionist told me to come back after a week , by then your case might have opened up so the officer knows what i am talking about . i just want some one to tell me is this normal that it might take this long to get my passport renewed in this kind of case, and is there anything i can do to fasten the process .
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfatiano View Post
hello everyone , i am living in the houston tx for over ten years and recently went to the indian consulate for renewing my indian passport which has expired for over 10 years and that passport was issued to me from india . the lady at the indian consulate in houston told me that it will take 6 to 7 months to renew the passport . i told her i need it for my green card as it is about to be approved any time , i gave her my work permit and all other stuff . then she told me that speak to the consulate officer , when i went there the receptionist told me to come back after a week , by then your case might have opened up so the officer knows what i am talking about . i just want some one to tell me is this normal that it might take this long to get my passport renewed in this kind of case, and is there anything i can do to fasten the process .
Yes when your passport is expired for more than 6 months it will take more time.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfatiano View Post
Considering present security measures, You got no choice. You were careless to not get it renewed. So now wait, unless you know someone working in the consulate.
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
Considering present security measures, You got no choice. You were careless to not get it renewed. So now wait, unless you know someone working in the consulate.
If you have a very genuine emergency reason like travel to India to visit an ailing relative or some such urgent reason, then the consulate might be a bit more lenient.

One more thing and I say this from actual observations of some desis in Bay Area visiting the Indian Consulate in San Francisco - dont act like a jerk with an air of superiority. I have seen desis who talk with such disdain of 'oh how slow and pathetic everything desi is' and such

Remember, those consulate employees are not under obligation to kiss your ass. If you dont like how desi system works, then tough luck.

But you will be surprised that most consulate workers are really good and efficient if you are nice and polite with them. A close friend realised his wife's passport was expiring in less than a month and she had to travel to India for more than a month. He went and spoke very nicely and made a sincere request in person. His wife was to travel within 72 hours. You wont believe it, but he got the new extended passport the same day evening!!

I am not assuming you are like this, but dont even think of yelling and shouting and protesting at the consulate. Just be nice nice and request and grin and get your work done.
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Junior eCharchan

JohnBenjamin is infamous around these partsJohnBenjamin is infamous around these partsJohnBenjamin is infamous around these partsJohnBenjamin is infamous around these partsJohnBenjamin is infamous around these partsJohnBenjamin is infamous around these parts

I am Spammer . Please help me get out of this profession

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; October 6th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Title: deleted 12:21 PM

amritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Yes you can renew passport at San Francisco Indian consulate. I got my renewed sometime back. typically it takes one week from the day of application. I will suggest you carry fees for renewal in cash. Drop it there personally and pick it up in person. Check the website http://www.cgisf.org/

For Passport size pictures COSTCO Zindabad fast and reasonable.
Just check it out first because it seems they outsourced some work to a company in SFO downtown.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritvani View Post
Just check it out first because it seems they outsourced some work to a company in SFO downtown.
For non Indian citizens who want a visa for India you need to go to travisa as per CGISF site. For passports and renewals you go straight to the consulate.

I am impressed by the people there, very very professional, very courteous and helpful! Its simply amazing. Feels like you are not visiting Indian office but some fantastic place!!
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adka3791 View Post
Why does one need a special website for 'Indian Passport Renewal in USA' when consulate website prints the same (and official) information in extra large fonts?