eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old August 16th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
(Almost) Tortuga Rum Cake

The last time we went to Jamaica, we stayed in a beautiful all inclusive resort where they served really good food. I mean really really really good food.
One evening I discovered that they also serve Tortuga Rum cakes! These are basically from Caribbean. The rum used to make is Tortuga Rum that is not for sale. So, if you want a piece of Tortuga Rum cake, you really have no choice but to buy that cake!

I had such a big slice of that cake that soon I was sporting a happy buzz, walking around the resort.

After coming home, I tried making the cake using Captain Morgan dark rum. The taste was "almost" close to the actual cake. Here is the recipe; as you can guess, I didnt make this up. I followed the recipe online.

Sorry about the presentation. That was the first time I made the cake when the picture was taken and I didnt realize that it doesnt transfer well after we glaze the cake! Now I know better. I am baking another one today for my dad...fingers crossed it comes as good as it tastes

Ingredients
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons + 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3.4oz box of store bought pudding mix
3/4 cup whole milk
4 large eggs
3/4 cup dark rum
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the Rum Syrup:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup dark rum

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan, and drop crushed walnuts into the bottom of the pan. Set aside.

2. In the base of a mixer, cream the 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and the 1/2 cup butter. Add the 3 tablespoons oil, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and kosher salt combining until evenly distributed. (Mixture will look like fine crumbs.) Mix in the pudding mix.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, rum, vanilla extract, and remaining vegetable oil. Add to the dry mixture and mix well until combined. The batter will be smooth, thin, and pour easily.

4. Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the cake comes up clean.

5. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.

6. While the cake cools, prepare the rum syrup: In a large saucepan with high sides, combine the butter, water, granulated sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat until the butter completely melts and the sugar dissolves. Let reduce slightly, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t boil over. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum (it will bubble).

7. Wash and dry the bundt pan, then place over the cool cake and invert the cake back into the pan. Pour the hot rum syrup all over the cake and let soak for 8 hours (overnight). In morning, invert the cake back onto a serving platter.

My Notes:
1. After one hour of baking, I tested to see if its completely baked. I needed to put that back in the oven for another 6 minutes before the insert came out clean.

2. I used Captain Morgan rum but any dark rum should be ok.

3. I was also told that if we soak the walnuts in rum overnight, it adds flavor but i never tried it.
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: (Almost) Tortuga Rum Cake

325F Thats a lower than normal temperature setting for a cake, some thing you arrived at by experience or is a recommended setting.

Not a fan of rum cakes, so will not be making this. btw, whats a bundt pan?
Old August 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
325F Thats a lower than normal temperature setting for a cake, some thing you arrived at by experience or is a recommended setting.

Not a fan of rum cakes, so will not be making this. btw, whats a bundt pan?
Ya, my oven's default setting is also 350. I also read it twice to make sure it indeed calls for 325. It's the recommended setting.
Bundt pan is the one that's a wide bottom deep dish with a little tube coming out in middle to distribute the heat evenly.
You will be able to find these in the same isle where you find muffin/cake pans.
Old August 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

Here is today's cake! just finished glazing it. I hope it holds together until this evening.
Once during Christmas it broke into half.

Old August 16th, 2015, 11:30 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
Bundt pan is the one that's a wide bottom deep dish with a little tube coming out in middle to distribute the heat evenly.
You will be able to find these in the same isle where you find muffin/cake pans.
The center part of the cake gets done last, kind of ruptures and sometimes causes the rest of the cake to burn a bit. I always thought this bundt pan was to enable cutting slices evenly. Never correlated the two for heat dissipation, guess this was never mentioned as an application in all the Thermodynamics classes I took.
Old August 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
The center part of the cake gets done last, kind of ruptures and sometimes causes the rest of the cake to burn a bit. I always thought this bundt pan was to enable cutting slices evenly. Never correlated the two for heat dissipation, guess this was never mentioned as an application in all the Thermodynamics classes I took.
Ooh! Thermodynamics! I don't know all that, I always assumed that for deep dish, wide bottom baking you need to distribute the heat evenly; else you will find raw spots and hence the bundt. I think you can also use some butterfly hooks (I forgot the actual name) to distribute the heat.

And you didn't comment on how the cake looks yet!
Old August 16th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Cake looks good, I mean very even and prolly with the dusting came out easily from the pan. Your father and family will enjoy.

The only cake we bake at home is an apple carrot eggless cake, comes out great, used for evening snack with tea or coffee.
Old August 16th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Cake looks good, I mean very even and prolly with the dusting came out easily from the pan. Your father and family will enjoy.

The only cake we bake at home is an apple carrot eggless cake, comes out great, used for evening snack with tea or coffee.
Oh dad and mom ate big pieces (yes i warned them) and now they are sporting a buzz

How about simple vanilla cake made by your sister? Lick the batter bowl clean?
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
How about simple vanilla cake made by your sister? Lick the batter bowl clean?
Yeah thats a classic, but I hardly ever have a craving for a cake. Ice cream is all the sweet I have other than kheer or basundi that once.