eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Traditions and Festivals

Notices

Traditions and Festivals India's vibrant festivals and unique traditions..

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Indians not care about Diwali anymore?

Ha ha....random to some, predictable to others.

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
It sure is.. it does not have a fixed date.. sometimes oct.. sometimes nov..sometimes first weak sometimes last.. sometimes on 3rd and then on 17th or you choose a date and there is every chance it falls on that date (or not)..

Is that not the very definition of Random?
Hindus follow a lunar calendar. Diwali is always on new moon.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Hindus follow a lunar calendar. Diwali is always on new moon.
Sorry Indians DO NOT follow lunar calender.. check your facts. Yes Indians do give specific value to poornima and amavasya but only muslims follow lunar calender. The proof lies in ASTROLOGY.. their predictions are garbage but their thithis are accurate and positions of planets are accurate mathematically.. doh.. They will not be able to calculate accurate solar eclipses using lunar calender alone for instance. Have you seen a panchang and ever wondered? solar eclipses, solstices etc are accurate to the time (minutes) onset etc.. how? Lunar calender?
Old November 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have several hundred 'friends' on facebook; probably like most of you. I've noticed that several US-based friends have posted colorful Diwali pics of their family dressed in Indian outfits and bursting fireworks. Almost all of the active US-based fb users posted Happy Diwali wishes in their status update.

Only 3 India-based Indians posted Diwali pics. Out of the 3, one is a Parsi and one is Christian. Very few Diwali status updates from India. If I look at some of the folks fb profile, they have several pics of themselves, but none with their family or kids or home. Did nobody in India care about Diwali anymore?

Questions for folks in India:
Did you do anything special and memorable during Diwali?
Did you put up Diwali decorations around the house?
How many spend time with children and family?
Did you create a rangoli around the house?
Did you prepare special sweets and meals?

Just curious if it was just another day for most Indians.
Diwali is still a big festival in India.
your experience on FB only means that you need to enlarge your circle of friends.
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

On a related note, peeps no longer seem to mourn the death of a loved one any more.. I have seen almost zero postings on Fb about them mournning let alone pics...
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:29 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to say that Diwali in Wisconsin is very festive ..
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Pelu Pelu

To answer your questions...

Did you do anything special and memorable during Diwali?

I no.. I let my kids have as much fun as they want as long as they respect fire.. my first advise to them when ever they go near fire is always "Remember, Fire is bad Master, but a very good slave".. These days I don't have to complete it..I Just say remember and they finish the rest.
Did you put up Diwali decorations around the house?
I don't have a house.

How many spend time with children and family?
I spend all of my available time with my children. The rest of the world out there, friends/family/relatives are just there like trees, cows..etc.. not important. Only these matter to me.. my 2 children and then me for their sakes.. rest can go where ever they please.
Did you create a rangoli around the house?
Not me.. but my elder one yes but she does that all the time.. diwali or no diwali.. it is just a timepass for her and can happen at any time of the day.. no reasons required.

Did you prepare special sweets and meals?
No.. I mean I make it a point to make food that children love.. I am not cooking karela and force them to eat it with the silly advise.. you outta eat veggis and shit.. My opinion on that is very clear.. you eat what you enjoy and like no holds barred.. (just make sure it is not poisonous or harmful.. petrol smells good does not mean you can drink it.. see but children know that anyway) and I know enough to keep dangerous stuff under lock and key IF AT ALL any around me..
Old November 6th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Pratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
My parents sent me a picture of their neighbor kids in Delhi celebrating Halloween.. now who will celebrate Diwali over Halloween.. Hindu culture and India are doomed, I say.. American culture is taking over India slowly but surely. Speaking Hindi in public places is strict no-no and almost a crime, especially in North India, people speak broken and incorrect grammar but speaking in English and showing off is a matter of paramount importance.

Desis abroad (married family folks) celebrate most festivals with fervor as it requires effort, and you have to create an environment for your kids.
Quote:
Halloween in India?? Why? Next thing you know, Indians will be celebrating Thanksgiving and July 4th.
They are the neuvo rich folks who do all that stuff here. Who speak only in money and dollars.

But yes in places like pune you find normal folks like we maharashtrians who celebrate all Indian festivities in equal fervor.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have noticed, the shor-sharaba and usage (wastage?) of money has steeply increased during Diwali & other festivals. The genuine feeling behind celebrating the festival may have reduced (was it there b4?) but not the pomp & show.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
From what I have noticed, the shor-sharaba and usage (wastage?) of money has steeply increased during Diwali & other festivals. The genuine feeling behind celebrating the festival may have reduced (was it there b4?) but not the pomp & show.
Peaceseeker, please tell why you think its a waste....?
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Peaceseeker, please tell why you think its a waste....?
just like celebrating republic day of india and spending so much money, fuel, time is a wastage.. similarly fireworks on Diwali is a waste.

also, most of what peaceseeker says is a waste in terms of disk space used to store it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
just like celebrating republic day of india and spending so much money, fuel, time is a wastage.. similarly fireworks on Diwali is a waste.

also, most of what peaceseeker says is a waste in terms of disk space used to store it.
Sarvi, its not at all waste. Don't look at it from an outsider perspective, look at it from the inside. A LOT of people make their livelihood based out of selling crackers. I can understand if you say its useless for the environment but not for the economy.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:47 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Sarvi, its not at all waste. Don't look at it from an outsider perspective, look at it from the inside. A LOT of people make their livelihood based out of selling crackers. I can understand if you say its useless for the environment but not for the economy.
I was being sarcastic.. didnt you notice the ?

I burst quite a few crackers last Sunday .. my LO was watching with amazement and wasn't scared of the noise ..
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Super eCharchan

Soorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is Diwali a random event?
I said Festivals AND Random day /events ..Diwali is not random but I think people abroad have a higher online presence tendency ..
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma Bhopali View Post
I said Festivals AND Random day /events ..Diwali is not random but I think people abroad have a higher online presence tendency ..
I would tend to agree with you. People abroad are more likely to post family pics and celebrations than Indians. Why do you suppose that is?