eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Traditions and Festivals

Notices

Traditions and Festivals India's vibrant festivals and unique traditions..

Old November 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Indians not care about Diwali anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
Sagu is powdered root (dried in sun first boiled I think but not sure).. root like sweet potato or something of that variety. It is sort of brownish red and folks from UP/BIHAR/ORRISA/MP use it for various sweets and as "vrath" dish a. la. sabodana khichidi and things like that.
I am not sure if I understood the context but I have not say no, hubby is not sagu-influenced.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Sagu influenced means UP/Bihar influence.. like being a student or grown up in those parts.. say allahabad, patna etc.

Hmm interesting then the fusion is misplaced perhaps a coincidence. Never mind.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sagu influenced means UP/Bihar influence.. like being a student or grown up in those parts.. say allahabad, patna etc.

Hmm interesting then the fusion is misplaced perhaps a coincidence. Never mind.
Oh he is certainly not sagu-influeneced. Now i get it. You got me thinking though, what made you ask?
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

That platform/uunjal/jhoola between the two velli kuttivilaku.. on which you have (assumption) lakshmi or ganesh or whatever god/idol for puja is typically north east influence.. i.e not as northeast as assam but up/bihar/orrisa it is NOT sambar variety.. dunno if pollution of art has spread as far south but that thing is typical of the zones I mentioned.

And which einstein incarnate who gave you the brilliant idea of keeping sparklers with that parupu tenga poodu.. a strange thing that!!
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
That platform/uunjal/jhoola between the two velli kuttivilaku.. on which you have (assumption) lakshmi or ganesh or whatever god/idol for puja is typically north east influence.. i.e not as northeast as assam but up/bihar/orrisa it is NOT sambar variety.. dunno if pollution of art has spread as far south but that thing is typical of the zones I mentioned.

And which einstein incarnate who gave you the brilliant idea of keeping sparklers with that parupu tenga poodu.. a strange thing that!!
oh that platform...It was given to me by my mother-in-law when I got married and entered their home for the first time. Actually in our culture, my mom gives me a Ganesha made out of black stone before leaving the maternal home. But my mother in law took what my mom gave me and told me on her side its the mother-in-law who gives the Ganesha to me.
It was given to her by her mother-in-law. So thats how I have this. I am supposed to pass this on to my daughter-in-law, if I have one or to my daughter.

I only got that idea of sparklers and podi...nice no?
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Pelu Pelu

Looks nice that platform but how come it is not of sambar origin then?

Looks nice that podi but NEVER keep fireworks with food items EVER.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Looks nice that platform but how come it is not of sambar origin then?

Looks nice that podi but NEVER keep fireworks with food items EVER.
I have no idea why my mother-in-law had this platform thingy Gpel. I am not going to ask her either; I have a feeling she will get defensive even if I mention it.

All men think alike or what? my husband removed the fireworks off the table the moment he saw it. But really, I was being careful not to let it touch food items.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Pelu Pelu

Never seen dust from those thingys just fly in air while removing it from the dozen box it is in? And it contains sulphur, phophorous and such...
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Never seen dust from those thingys just fly in air while removing it from the dozen box it is in? And it contains sulphur, phophorous and such...
i guess it was a big bummer! I wont do it again.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Pelu Pelu

Yaa not worth that info that is useless anyway..My guess, she might have gone on pilgrimage.. kashi and such and picked it up there. They are beautiful no doubt about that.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Pelu Pelu

Always keep in mind Sulphur and phospates are carcinogens and carcinogens are WORSE THAN POISON.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Always keep in mind Sulphur and phospates are carcinogens and carcinogens are WORSE THAN POISON.
Ok ok I GET it! Its too late now; we ate all the food
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Pelu Pelu

no issues.. just keep it mind and pls.. don't again for your own sake. i have seen what it can give and the effects of what it can give first hand it raises my hairs end to end just thinking about it..
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no issues.. just keep it mind and pls.. don't again for your own sake. i have seen what it can give and the effects of what it can give first hand it raises my hairs end to end just thinking about it..
Oye ... khud sutta peeta hai, doosron ko gyaan baantta hai?

Yeh kya zamana aa gaya hai pelu? Pull out your holy book of pelunics .. better advise there.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Now you are scaring me. Should I get checked?