eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > How to

Notices

How to Stuck for an answer to "How to do .."?

Old March 10th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Standard Chartered Bank: Question

I had been a customer of Standard Chartered Bank when i was working in India. I have some 4 lacks + in that account right now. I never really used that account in ages (at least 7 years) now. Now, I wanted to order a check book (Need to pay for something in India) so that I can write a check.
Regularly I get the statements generated to my email and every year, tax receipts arrive at my door step.

Since i havent been using the account itself, I had not kept track of my T-pin (telephone pin i think) or my bank card.

i called the customer services requesting them to send me a new checkbook. They wanted my old registered phone number as identification. Its been close 10 years ago that account was registered and I dont have that old number.

They are now saying they cant help me if I dont get the number. How do I get around this? Of course I don't want to lose 4 + lacks. They claim they have no other way to verify my identity. Seriously?

I asked how come they are sending emails/ mails regularly without knowing whom I am. But the customer service guy is adamantly maintaining he cant go through the call without me naming my old registered India number.

What should I do? I really need the check book. I told them I need to talk to the manager, who, of course is never available. How do I get around this?
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Chartered Bank: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I had been a customer of Standard Chartered Bank when i was working in India. I have some 4 lacks + in that account right now. I never really used that account in ages (at least 7 years) now. Now, I wanted to order a check book (Need to pay for something in India) so that I can write a check.
Regularly I get the statements generated to my email and every year, tax receipts arrive at my door step.

Since i havent been using the account itself, I had not kept track of my T-pin (telephone pin i think) or my bank card.

i called the customer services requesting them to send me a new checkbook. They wanted my old registered phone number as identification. Its been close 10 years ago that account was registered and I dont have that old number.

They are now saying they cant help me if I dont get the number. How do I get around this? Of course I don't want to lose 4 + lacks. They claim they have no other way to verify my identity. Seriously?

I asked how come they are sending emails/ mails regularly without knowing whom I am. But the customer service guy is adamantly maintaining he cant go through the call without me naming my old registered India number.

What should I do? I really need the check book. I told them I need to talk to the manager, who, of course is never available. How do I get around this?
Go to a branch in person with your passport etc. YOu may get help. Address below for Stan Chart Canada.

Last edited by Aashika; March 11th, 2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Removed city identification details
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=smellyfinger;662523]Go to a branch in person with your passport etc. YOu may get help. Address below for Stan Chart Canada.

Anyway, thats not a retail branch melly; they dont provide any banking services I believe. they are just a subsidiary. I had called them last night. They told me my best bet is to contact someone from india itself. Calling someone from india seems to be like a dead end.

I have written in detail about the problem to the customer services hoping someone checks and calls back. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Last edited by Aashika; March 11th, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who told you I live close by?

Anyway, thats not a retail branch melly; they dont provide any banking services I believe. they are just a subsidiary. I had called them last night. They told me my best bet is to contact someone from india itself. Calling someone from india seems to be like a dead end.

I have written in detail about the problem to the customer services hoping someone checks and calls back. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Ok, you already tried that. Book a flight to India then good excuse.
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:01 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

You are supposed to update your phone numbers and such stuff. Inactive accounts are prone to forgery and scams. Meanwhile, if you have the online login you can transfer to a reliable relative/friend and have them issue a check.

ICICI is even worse.. So when my account relationship guy calls, I ask him to do things I can't figure out in their website and give him the satisfaction of transferring some of my money to India, he gives me preferential transfer conversion rate. Win-win for both.
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:10 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than the call way, try if you can email any 'Relationship Manager' worked for my HDFC Securities where i had never accessed the account.

I used to keep getting the emails from my 'Relationship manager' and finally shot one reply asking how to access my Securities account. It is another matter nothing is at stake. There is Zilch balance there.

So, you could pick up a few emails and try replying to them for help with on line access. And once you get an on line access, EFT some amounts to your folks and ask them to pay it.

You could also try calling an NRI service center for SCB in Canada and ask them that you want to convert your Indian account to an NRI account.

Again, all these are just shots. Not sure if it will work.
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

As per RBI guidelines any account not used for a period of two years (?) is termed inactive and to reactivate it you have to go in person to the branch or any branch in India with your identity proof and fill a form to reactivate your account.
If your signature is same you can send someone along with verified/certified copies of your id and update details,most banks have forms which I think can be found online.
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
You are supposed to update your phone numbers and such stuff. Inactive accounts are prone to forgery and scams. Meanwhile, if you have the online login you can transfer to a reliable relative/friend and have them issue a check.
I know, i should have updated my contact details. My fault. Its just that, I nevere really even think about that account as i dont use it. Lesson learned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Rather than the call way, try if you can email any 'Relationship Manager' worked for my HDFC Securities where i had never accessed the account.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did email one of the relationship managers and he responded saying he will look into this matter and will provide me with a course of action in 24 hours time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
As per RBI guidelines any account not used for a period of two years (?) is termed inactive and to reactivate it you have to go in person to the branch or any branch in India with your identity proof and fill a form to reactivate your account.
The account is not dormant. I have lots of equity in it and small money does gets deposited into that account periodically.
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The account is not dormant. I have lots of equity in it and small money does gets deposited into that account periodically.
From my experience , deposits don't help keep an account active. It can still be dormant.
Withdrawals help keep an account active for sure.
Unless your bank has told you otherwise.

Get their debit card and use it periodically.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Some banks let customers generate TPIN on phone itself. And I think that for the account to become 'dormant', it should be completely inactive (i.e. no credit, debit, equity-trading, whatever) for stipulated period.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
From my experience , deposits don't help keep an account active. It can still be dormant.
Withdrawals help keep an account active for sure.
Unless your bank has told you otherwise.

Get their debit card and use it periodically.
From what I know any transaction happening will prevent the account to go dormant. I know my account isnt dormant; I got that confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
Some banks let customers generate TPIN on phone itself. And I think that for the account to become 'dormant', it should be completely inactive (i.e. no credit, debit, equity-trading, whatever) for stipulated period.
See thats the problem, I dont have TPIN. I dont remember with what number my account was registered under.

But the relationship manager said he will find a solution soon. I am going to wait for further direction.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From what I know any transaction happening will prevent the account to go dormant. I know my account isnt dormant; I got that confirmed.
Then it is different from my Indian bank. It always goes dormant due to lack of withdrawals. I had started using their debit card to keep the account active but that expired and they sent new one to my Indian address. Again on verge of being dormant.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:35 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

See thats the problem, I dont have TPIN. I dont remember with what number my account was registered under.

But the relationship manager said he will find a solution soon. I am going to wait for further direction.
I meant, they let you generate TPIN (for future purposes) when you do not have TPIN presently.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:54 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Now it might sound really lame and you may have already tried that. But could you try locating any old cheque book with remaining cheque leaves or any Debit card. And one more shot left is to convert it into an NRO account.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
I meant, they let you generate TPIN (for future purposes) when you do not have TPIN presently.
But they sent the TPIN or OTP (one time passwword) to the registered cell phone via SMS.