eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Traditions and Festivals

Notices

Traditions and Festivals India's vibrant festivals and unique traditions..

Old April 30th, 2015, 03:01 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TOP 10 Hindu religious festivals.

We were not ranking festivals .. Just numbering. You people in bay area can still enjoy Holi .. I haven't played in last few years. So Diwali would rank higher now. But then one enjoys festivals much more in childhood than adulthood.
Old April 30th, 2015, 04:15 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
We were not ranking festivals .. Just numbering. You people in bay area can still enjoy Holi .. I haven't played in last few years. So Diwali would rank higher now. But then one enjoys festivals much more in childhood than adulthood.
The last time i celebrated holi was almost 9 years back in Londonstan. i do not remember any Holi celebration in Bang or Hyd. In fact, the last time i burst crackers in Diwali was in 2007 or so. We still do some sweets and Pooja in Diwali. I would still love to burst some crackers.

So, right now the top 5 celebrations would go as

1. Sankranti
2. Ugadi
3. Diwali
4. Vinayak Chaturthi
5. Haloween!
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:48 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I get fooljhadi, anar and chakri every year for Diwali.. and save a few for New Year's eve.
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
The last time i celebrated holi was almost 9 years back in Londonstan. i do not remember any Holi celebration in Bang or Hyd. In fact, the last time i burst crackers in Diwali was in 2007 or so. We still do some sweets and Pooja in Diwali. I would still love to burst some crackers.

So, right now the top 5 celebrations would go as

1. Sankranti
2. Ugadi
3. Diwali
4. Vinayak Chaturthi
5. Haloween!
Oh ya! I forgot Halloween!
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I am surprised that everybody has ranked Diwali before Holi.
Both are great festivals but for me , Holi scores over any other festival in a BIG way.
Wake up , put colors on everybody distantly known ,take bath, go to all of your friends' houses and eat their food if you are still hungry., and then have a fun talk with friends till late evening.

What can be more fun than that?
Somehow I never really enjoyed Holi. Too much touching and too much color and the skin would go dry for days after that! And to get the color out of the hair was a nightmare.
Old April 30th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Diwali is the central and main-frame festival in the sense that, it comes in the set of 5-7 festivals-days altogether, and
Since
ekadashi agiyarash, then vaagh baaras, then dhan teras, kaali chaudah, Diwali, New year, Bhaai beej , Labh paanchan,.. all the waaaaaay till Dev-Diwaali,….etc
so it’s a lots of activities and series of festivity days together in the group going on,… going on,.. such as,..

Chopada poojan, Books and account clearing for all businesses,..
Laxmi’s b-day,.
Dhan ki pooja,..
Good and new clothes to wear,..
Kaali pooja,.. sweets making, Kaag-maakadi,..
Meeting friends relatives,..
Cleaning homes and bartans,..
Lighting the homes,..
Sabaras,..
Enjoying fire crackers, even 1 months before the diwali starts,..

And tons of other set activity goes on,… ( Though, this enthusiasm has dissolved a lot in last 2+ decades, but when it ws “ Days of our lives” , it was having its unique charm,.. ) in this set of festivals,.. Shikhs and Jains also have their religious story related on the same days,. So they also join,... with the same spirits,.

-------

Holi is the last day in certain calendar ( Bihar/UP ? ) and communities, so they have their Diwali ( Last day of calendar ) as Holi.,.. So it also has its own importance.

Holi ki pooja, Bor and small mango eating,… donation and charity to poors and lower cast,.. cow and Brahmin pooja and feeding,.. Playing with colors and water and coming together forgetting all grudges and prejudices,..

Rest, the sets of festivals occur during Janmasthami,..

Such as,..
Naag paanchum ( Kuler laddo and Naag pooja in al shiv mandeers )
Raandhan chatth ( you cook the whole day nad next day eat cold,.. )
Sheetla saatan, ( You beg the cold from seven homes and eat,. )
Gokul ashthami, ( 12 night festivals in temples, gambling, alcohol, bhang, taas, rami,.. )
Paarna / sanvatasri,.. ( you eat 32 kinds vegetable cooked together,.. )

Rest,.. I would say,..
Ramnavmi, Hanuman jayanti, Budhdha, Nannka jayanti,. is lying low,..

Shiavratri has its fun part for gambling, Faraari eating of raaj-gara’s flour,.. bhang and other clubies/ alcoholic acts,…. Shiv-mandeer festivals,..

Ganesh chaturthi has became a hugh especially in last 1.5 decade,
Before in was limited to Maharastra for its grand celebration, ( ganesh visrarjan ) but now it has overcome the B-days of Rama, Shiva , Mahaveer, Buddha, Nanak, Asho Jarthrustra and many’s b-day,… in terms of grand festival and term sof enjoyment, Ganesh idol sthaapana in every home,.. etc

Kite flying day has its own fever and flavor. PPL fly kites and prepares dhaaga, kina, 3 mos earlier.. rest fun eating of Bor, Tal-laddu, sweets, donation and charity to cow, poors, Brahmins,….. etc. The whole world come son roof and terrace and a great fun for 2-3 months,..

Tell ya,… Those were the day, what we enjoyed,.. today’s tech-age generation never even know s what fun-festivals, sweets, street games, aam-season,.. and many many more they have missed, behind those Nintendo, ataari, compu games, sega cell, play-station, Ipod-ipad-cells,… FB, Twitter, What’s App and internet !

They have absolutely even no idea,.. Those were the days of our lives and not this Tech age days of internet/FB/Twitters at all can ever beat or match those !

Old April 30th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
Somehow I never really enjoyed Holi. Too much touching and too much color and the skin would go dry for days after that! And to get the color out of the hair was a nightmare.
aashika it seems you missed the real festival full of fun, isn't it a great fun to be wet, wild and wicked with whoever your love-mate ( saali/devar ) is,
while touching and getting dirty with mud, colors and waters. Reciprocating wet hugs and touching him/her thoroughly ?
Those are the real fun-activities to be naughty and mischievous with full spirits, an dstamping watery-kisses on all over the bodies of our love-buddy ! NO ?

Next time, find aashik of yr choice and,.... be all you can,.......sky is the limits and ,.. let it,.. as dirty as it gets,.... with water, color, gulaal and those wet-watery touches, with sensual thin linen, skin-touch feelings, in hotness of closer mouths and breaths !

Last edited by Jagmohan; April 30th, 2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old April 30th, 2015, 07:48 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I get fooljhadi, anar and chakri every year for Diwali.. and save a few for New Year's eve.
Where do you burn them. Wont the neighbors complain if you do it at home.
Old April 30th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I am surprised that everybody has ranked Diwali before Holi.
Both are great festivals but for me , Holi scores over any other festival in a BIG way.
Wake up , put colors on everybody distantly known ,take bath, go to all of your friends' houses and eat their food if you are still hungry., and then have a fun talk with friends till late evening.

What can be more fun than that?
I would say comparing apples and oranges. Both are fun. Though, both in childhood and now, i prefer fire a bit over water. So, Diwali would rank higher.
But last real fun celebration of Holi was in 95. The last low scale celebration was with Roomies (both Delhiites) in Londonstan in 2005. We just put some gulal on each other. Interestingly, the sellers of Gulal were mostly paks in our 'Eastern Ghetto'.
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Neighbors can go to hell.. I will claim religious intolerance.

Burning a few noiseless (or very little noise) crackers on concrete parking far away from any buildings before 9pm should be all okay. I never had anybody complain.
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmohan View Post
aashika it seems you missed the real festival full of fun, isn't it a great fun to be wet, wild and wicked with whoever your love-mate ( saali/devar ) is,
while touching and getting dirty with mud, colors and waters. Reciprocating wet hugs and touching him/her thoroughly ?
See thats the thing...its very hard and impolite to stop others from inappropriate touch too. reminds me, there was a guy in school days. He used to have big time crush on me...ya, he told me.
Anyway, he used to think that I am his property. So, if any guy touches, he used to break an egg on their head!
I messed him up so bad. Poor guy.
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
There are only specific places where we can fire fireworks. Generally sparklers etc are OK but nothing big.
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Banned

When we were kids , we hardly had any fire-cracker, which we had never had enjoyed.

Be it,….. tara-mandal, kothi, hawaayi, udati rakaabi, train, loom of small and big teta, tikari, saapoliya, jalebi, rocket, thos edoubel fire sotari and electric bombs,… and tons of others.

Being mischievous we were, we would tame any small cow the whole day, and at night would tie a red-teta loom, with a 10-15 feet of distance of her’ tail and will give it a fire, in a straight way one sided street lane, with few dogs also got ready to chase the cow… and it was a big Yo Yo,… But we were only 7-10 yrs of age, and later realized it was unmerciful and had to face many “ daants” from the street elders too.

Firing a rocket, horizontally in a street was also a great fun and then making a big yo –Yo,.. !

My favorite was “ train” ,.. and with a long string, it would travel both the way,.. when it would come back. I would let loose the string and it will roll and jump in anyone/everone’s pent, dhoti and where not !
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:37 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I agree - some men can take advantage .

Not enjoyable for women in that case. In fact it can be painful.
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:52 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree - some men can take advantage .

Not enjoyable for women in that case. In fact it can be painful.
They can close their eyes and imagine he is Christian Grey!