eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:38 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Is it just me or ..

Post similar questions or queries here for discussion.

So here I go on a rant.. a couple of incidents that have made me think.

1. A desi colleague had a baby boy born a couple weeks back, his first child, yet after he came back he brought no sweets. Is it just me or have desis (living abroad or even in des?) given up our customs and social etiquette all together?

2. A familiar desi guy (a neighbor friend), didn't inform his parents in India until 8th month of pregnancy that they were due, then invited only his mother to come to US to help with post-natal care. The baby was born 2 months back, till date he has not told anybody, it's as if it's a shameful thing I saw his mom roaming and crying in our parking lot last month, I invited her up to my place for tea, she cried for an hour sharing her misery with my wife. Is it just me or are desis living in USA away from family are losing it completely?
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:24 AM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future
Re: Is it just me or ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post

1. A desi colleague had a baby boy born a couple weeks back, his first child, yet after he came back he brought no sweets. Is it just me or have desis (living abroad or even in des?) given up our customs and social etiquette all together?

2. A familiar desi guy (a neighbor friend), didn't inform his parents in India until 8th month of pregnancy that they were due, then invited only his mother to come to US to help with post-natal care. The baby was born 2 months back, till date he has not told anybody, it's as if it's a shameful thing I saw his mom roaming and crying in our parking lot last month, I invited her up to my place for tea, she cried for an hour sharing her misery with my wife. Is it just me or are desis living in USA away from family are losing it completely?
Scenario 1- Desis have desi wallets! Dono haathon se sirf batorna hai. Inka to kaam hi hai,"ram naam japna, paraya maal apna." Did you guys chip in or get him a group gift? Were you generous enough to begin with? Even if you were, tell you what., he would've been thankless, as if you owed him & he deserved to be pampered. Some people are just so cheap & thankless. There's no cure for such idiots. If you feel like doing something for someone, just do it without any expectations! Kalyug hai yeh Kalyug

Scenario 2- A lot depends on the equation here! Old aunty must've wronged her darling DIL, who knows? Crying doesn't justify that old aunty was wronged. You need to hear both sides of the story. What else did she share? Tell us more!
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Story 1: Gift card and best wishes were given. Even without a gift one used to bring sweets for immediate colleagues, neighbors and well wishers. It's like when you return from a trip of India, you must bring sweets for your team or desis around.

Story 2: When I found her weeping.. the poor old lady was roaming around without a key to their apartment or a phone since dear DIL and her son were out shopping for 2 hours longer than what they said they would.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:19 PM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

Quote:
Story 1: Gift card and best wishes were given. Even without a gift one used to bring sweets for immediate colleagues, neighbors and well wishers. It's like when you return from a trip of India, you must bring sweets for your team or desis around.

Story 2: When I found her weeping.. the poor old lady was roaming around without a key to their apartment or a phone since dear DIL and her son were out shopping for 2 hours longer than what they said they would.
Story 1- You're so naive, Sarvi! I wish, we were neighbors, friends, in real life too In today's day and age, no one cares, & people are proud of the way they are, mighty proud! Selfish, greedy people! I have seen many who throw party at their house & have fun at the expense of others.

Story 2- Nasty people! I still wish you & I were neighbors, friends, in real life
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:04 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

#1 is making me trying to remember whether i took any sweets or not. both for Bachcha number 1 in India and bachcha number 2 in LOO. i do remember one Jap distributing chocolates/cakes in Dillika after he had a kid long back. Just hope that i did and in the din of all the busy things and excitement forgot whether i distributed.

#2 is a one off case. Whether in India or Umrika or elsewhere no one hides from parents. The whole world knows and we have all these baby showers and all.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:46 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Still cannot recall. But generally it is besharam me. Mostly it is better half who drills some sense and prepares some misthaan to distribute to others. Obviously when the babies were born she was a bit indisposed. But hope i took something. For the first one, a good chunk of colleagues were there for naam karan though. Second one didnt have this privilege.
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:53 PM
be badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Still cannot recall. But generally it is besharam me. Mostly it is better half who drills some sense and prepares some misthaan to distribute to others. Obviously when the babies were born she was a bit indisposed. But hope i took something. For the first one, a good chunk of colleagues were there for naam karan though. Second one didnt have this privilege.
Besharam, your wife seems like a nice woman. I hope you don't make her give in blindly. Some women are so eager to overcompensate. Hope yours is not one of them & I hope you treat her well How old are your babies again? Also, I don't think Sarvi is talking about you
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant future

When boy is born u give new father a cigar to smoke, have u given? This is US customs.
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Here, I had to give all known friends a big Daru party,

It is called RUMPUNCH

jeetIAF
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Speaking of customs...

1. In the US, if somebody has a child, it is customary, in some companies, for the team to pool in money a buy a small gift (such as blankets or toys). In the US, it is not customary to bring sweets. It's an Indian thing which may or may not be suitable in all US companies.

2. In this case, it looks like the family has some issues. Now, it's not just desis in the US with family issues. It's a universal thing. People go through troubled times. It's possible that the lady is having postpartum depression. It could be that the baby has some abnormalities. They could be disputes or other issues with their parents. Who knows?

Don't be quick to judge people or their intentions. Whether desis in US or desis in India or Americans or whoever, human beings and human beings. As a specie, we are all fucked up in our own way. Unless you are me. Then you would be perfect.

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Unless you are me. Then you would be perfect.
oh you are dovahkiin
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh you are dovahkiin
Not that perfect!

Btw, where did he disappear?

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Not that perfect!

Btw, where did he disappear?
He could not accept his gaping imperfectness

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless