eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Traditions and Festivals

Notices

Traditions and Festivals India's vibrant festivals and unique traditions..

Old October 4th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Navratri / Garba /dandiya songs

So, I have got myself tasked with getting a CD ready for the Garba/dandiya we are planning for the weekend. I could only think of 2 or 3 songs which wouldnt last more than 10 minutes and I have to fill in 3 hours!

I have looked on youtube and it brings up songs from DJs. They dont seem to be famaliar and have different tunes for same songs....

who better than ask my friends on here then. Can you please suggest songs - preferably from films for non-gujju folks to dance on dandiya/garba?

the first one I thought was Amitabh starrer - Sab se bada tera naam... then... not many others.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future
Re: Navratri / Garba /dandiya songs

1. ghoonghat ki aad se dilbar ka - HHRPK.
2. dholi taaro- HDDCS.
3. nagada - Jab we met.
4. lahu munh lag gaya- Ramleela.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:38 AM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

1. yahin kahi jiyara hamar - Khudgarz
2. bheegi bheeghi raaton mein - Rajesh khanna song
3. jhanjhariya- karishma Kapoor & Sunil shetty?
4. pari hoon main- Sunita Rao
5. yaad piya ki aane lagi- Falguni Pathak
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

dholi taro and nagada - I am guessing I need special versions of these songs? the ones in the movie dont seem to be usable for the purpose.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:49 AM
be badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
dholi taro and nagada - I am guessing I need special versions of these songs? the ones in the movie dont seem to be usable for the purpose.
no clue i have two left feet when it comes to dandiya/garbha. have no clue whatsoever. heard these recently on the radio , hence shared 'em with you
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm yet to understand dandiya/garba.. navratri has only dance and music or actual prayers as well?
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, I have got myself tasked with getting a CD ready for the Garba/dandiya we are planning for the weekend. I could only think of 2 or 3 songs which wouldnt last more than 10 minutes and I have to fill in 3 hours!

I have looked on youtube and it brings up songs from DJs. They dont seem to be famaliar and have different tunes for same songs....

who better than ask my friends on here then. Can you please suggest songs - preferably from films for non-gujju folks to dance on dandiya/garba?

the first one I thought was Amitabh starrer - Sab se bada tera naam... then... not many others.
I'm afraid there may not be enough filmi, non-gujju songs to last you for that long. I did find an okayish dandiya collection a few days ago on the Saavn app, but ended up skipping every other song. That might be your best chance. Go to saavn.com and search for Dandiya.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I'm yet to understand dandiya/garba.. navratri has only dance and music or actual prayers as well?
The dandiya/garba you are referring to is the commercialized version, where people pay money to enter a dance party with a live performance that includes fancy musical instruments.

The traditional version of Gujarati Garba is mainly worshipping Maa Amba (Goddess Durga). There's more spiritual vibe to it. The main, and usually the only, instrument played is Dhol, and a small group of folk singers lead the songs while people performing Garba act as the chorus.

There are several variations of garba types, and usually in the following order:
- the night begins with a "be taali" (2 taali/claps) garba
- followed by "tran taali" (3 taali/claps)
- followed by Aarti & prasad
- followed by a few minutes of hinch (a very specific type of dance performed in smaller groups)
- followed by "Dandiya Raas". Dandiya Raas is more associated with Krishna... more so than Maa Amba.

All of the garba (except for hinch) are performed in one big circle around the photos of the Gods/Goddesses in the center.

Different communities, societies, temples used to do their own little garba. When I was little, I remember that a group of about 50 households would put Maa Amba's photo on a chair, under a lamppost on an internal, non-busy street, some uncle would play dhol, and all neighbors would sing garba songs as they do garba around the chair. Mostly moms/ladies, boys and girls would do garba, kids would run around and play games, men would gossip and talk about daily lives/general stuff. Good times

In commercialized version, we see a bunch of small groups doing their own garbas, back and forth, different variations (dodhiyu, popatiyu, sanedo, choo-choo train...) are just added flavors that is not necessarily what I'd call traditional garba.

Obviously, very little of the traditional version is left now due to heavy commercialization/westernization where Navratri is heavily marketed towards the youth with the wrong message (often seen as hook-up opportunity). Traditional garbas are probably still performed in smaller villages or communities. I'll try to add relevant clips below if I find any.

Sent from my iPhone.

Last edited by Charchila; October 4th, 2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:01 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for an elaborate post. Looks like people find a way to make money in anything. In North India (esp Delhi, Haryana, Punjab) jagran or jagrata (overnight chanting of mantras, devotional songs) have become elaborate showoff and decent monies are involved. One night of chanting with main singer, chorus, etc charge in lakhs depending on turnout planned.

I think though this is the partly the reason Hindus have not given the kind of space to Christianity as some other parts of India.
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I think its good you are trying to get all the Indian songs. But how many of your guests are up to date with Bollywood songs? I doubt many are. All these songs being suggested, make sure they are all enjoyable. I enjoy familiar songs better than new ones.
mix some good english songs too.
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post

Obviously, very little of the traditional version is left now due to heavy commercialization/westernization where Navratri is heavily marketed towards the youth with the wrong message (often seen as hook-up opportunity). Traditional garbas are probably still performed in smaller villages or communities. I'll try to add relevant clips below if I find any.
good to know
Old October 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I think its good you are trying to get all the Indian songs. But how many of your guests are up to date with Bollywood songs? I doubt many are. All these songs being suggested, make sure they are all enjoyable. I enjoy familiar songs better than new ones.
mix some good english songs too.
all the people turning up are Indian born and brought up but here for one reason or the other - short or longer term. I wouldnt even dream of an english song in the list.
Old October 5th, 2016, 11:42 AM
be badass

Quote:
all the people turning up are Indian born and brought up but here for one reason or the other - short or longer term. I wouldnt even dream of an english song in the list.
please do share your list with us. i wanna know what all numbers you came up with
Old October 6th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

1) Sab se bada tera naam - from movie suhag
2) mai to bhul chali babul ka des - saraswati chandra
3) tezab dandiya music
4) some falguni pathak songs

soooo you can see I am completely an outsider to this...
Old October 6th, 2016, 04:51 AM
be badass

Quote:
1) Sab se bada tera naam - from movie suhag
2) mai to bhul chali babul ka des - saraswati chandra
3) tezab dandiya music
4) some falguni pathak songs

soooo you can see I am completely an outsider to this...
Jhakaaas! tezaab & that scene near the rail track? AK killed it! love AK & this one's my most fave movie!

p.s. lol you belong to my kin. lemme check with my buddies for raseeli/nasheeli numbers.