eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old January 2nd, 2002, 05:42 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Has the melting pot process of USA stopped?

America is the leading nation where the 'melting pot' concept started and this process continued.

Today we see so many different people in America. Many 'assimilate' easily into the American culture. They become 'American'.

But at the same time, there are many who live here and dont feel one bit like imbibing America into them. They still live in the fond memories of their own lives from where they came from. Some go to the extent that they dont let their children born here to imbibe any nationalistic feelings for America.

Do you think you are part of the melting pot or a separate identity?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Mogambo

kameena is on a distinguished road
Historically it has always worked the same way. First generation immigrants(with a few exceptions) have always had more loyalties towards their native land than their adopted land, unless they have been chased away from their native land. The second generation is a confused one and by the third generation they have totally imbibed american identity.

We haven't seen any grown up third generation Indian Americans (cos Immigration from India started only in 60s).
Old January 3rd, 2002, 12:12 AM

melting pot

The pot has started melting.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 12:43 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold
Re: melting pot

Quote:
Originally posted by SimpleIndian
The pot has started melting.
What did you have for dinner that even melts the loo pot???and happy new year to all...pot kettle or bottle

Last edited by laal_langot; January 3rd, 2002 at 12:56 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

SimpleHuman will become famous soon enough
Smile

I think i US its more towards own adjustments! some folks still like to be with their kin in evening others tend to prefer other options.

Here in Canada it quite different! if you ask a indian origin here even though he is holding canadian citizenship, most likely reply is "I am Indian" same goes to paki or gyanese or some part of europe.

The current generation seemz to think different! let say if a kid never seen india! you cant expect them to be part of Indian culture! they are more canadians or say CBCD

---Not Me!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by SimpleHuman
I think i US its more towards own adjustments! some folks still like to be with their kin in evening others tend to prefer other options.

Here in Canada it quite different! if you ask a indian origin here even though he is holding canadian citizenship, most likely reply is "I am Indian" same goes to paki or gyanese or some part of europe.

The current generation seemz to think different! let say if a kid never seen india! you cant expect them to be part of Indian culture! they are more canadians or say CBCD
Same here in Switzerland except that almost all Indian kids have visited India and I have yet to come across an Indian kid who dislikes India. My girls are having second thoughts about taking up the Swiss nationality, although they are born here.

In a way, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans are lucky because their countries allow dual nationality.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:32 AM

Those who don't melt into the culture

... usually complain of being left out. If you have to live here, you ought to melt in!! But, you certainly can keep following your ethnic culture, wear ethnic dresses and practice religion of your choice.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:34 AM

In US, I am yet to come across any Indian parents ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
My girls are having second thoughts about taking up the Swiss nationality, although they are born here.
....who have taken Indian citizenship for their child born in the US.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
In Switzerland, children don't get the Swiss citizenship. They have to be at least 12 years old in order to make a request and it takes about 2 years for them to get the nationality.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, never felt any difference before or after.. I guess I have been lucky.. I have heard that some people are facing some problems but I have never felt anything unusual at work or otherwise..
Old January 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
good thing about America is that you can have the identity of the country you come from and still be an American. That is what America all about.

If you talk to and American, he will surely know what his original country.. even if its 1o generation back..

The other day President Clinton was giving a speech in an university. When asked what he would do now that is not a President. He said that he would like to work for peace in Ireland. Where his ancestors come from.. When two time president can associate with the country of his ancestor.. what is wrong with us Indians identifying with our country of our ancestors...
Old January 3rd, 2002, 10:30 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I was wondering about some

folks who live here long enough yet never appreciate America. They always crib and complain about US but are not willing to go back to their own nation.

Infact I agree that one should not forget his/her national identity, but just that one should appreciate the new country of residence as much.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 10:32 AM

Thumbs up Wow sutradhar!! what a change in your attitude

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
folks who live here long enough yet never appreciate America. They always crib and complain about US but are not willing to go back to their own nation.
Looks like your green card is around the corner!!

God Bless America