eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Puzzles

Notices

Puzzles Oh those mind bending brain twisters!

Old March 7th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Junior eCharchan

Bagheera is infamous around these partsBagheera is infamous around these parts
Question Heard or not of this puzzle?

Sahi jawaab tou sab de denge. Posting here to know how famous this puzzle is.

A group of 630 children is arranged in rows for a group photograph session. Each row contains three less children than row in front of it. What number of rows is NOT possible?

Chaayla! I am not allowed to post polls. How am I supposed to ask the puzzle?

Old March 7th, 2015, 07:57 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heard or not of this puzzle?

Pm me the poll you want, i will try to add it.
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Junior eCharchan

I am not allowed to even PM. Started a 'PM Disabled' group. Not many people are joining it.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
I am not allowed to even PM. Started a 'PM Disabled' group. Not many people are joining it.
Try posting now and please limit your imagination and theories
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Bagheera

Uh ! You are a copycat guy of internet, and use none of yours own brain,.. It seems you grabbed smthg from the Math forums, web pages.. Uh !

at a First glance, I thought you would ask,.. How many total nos of rows ( it will take / require ) Or,...it will come up in a total,..

So I thought,.. first row will ( MUST ) be zero ( can't be one, Coz F(0) will be zero and hence F(1) = 1 is not valid, as difference should be 3 ) , so first row be 3,... next row 6 ,. and so on,... till the last row,.... until the total of all rows,... still adds up to 630

and I had calculated it as Total 210 rows,.. as
this is a question of " samantar pedhi " and sum ( summation till "n"th row ) is given by the equation,..

F(n) = a + (n-1) d
a= first stage
d= difference
n= number of the stage ( rows here ), you want the total sum, upto.

and in this case,
F(210), the total of 210 rows in this fashion of,..

3, 6, 9, 12, 15,....

F(210) = 3 + ( 210-1 ) 3

= 3 + 627

= 630

and that will occur at 210 total rows, ( first row has 3, second row has six,. and so on,..to come up with the total of 630 full consumed, keeping in mind the pattern of difference of 3, which will happen at the end of 210th row. )

------------------

But anyway that you did not ask,.. as yr question is,..
What number of rows is NOT possible?

and yr alternatives of polls I guess were,..2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

and the answer would be 6 row and 2 row.

Here I explain,... and on entire internet if anyone has given this kindaa explain, I would be surprised to death.
( as I have my own evaluation process )

Total children are 630.

So let us start with first in a 3 row, whether we can come up with the reliable numbers and still the total adds to 630.

So to make the life easy, simply divide 630 by 3, so

210, 210, 210 - total still makes 630

Now keeping the center 210 as it is,... add 3 from first and deduct from last.

So we have 207, 210, 213 - it worked and total is still 630

How about 5 row?

630 / 5 = 126

126, 126, 126, 126, 126 Total is still 630

Keeping center as it is,.. add and deduct 3 and 6 from remaining four.

132, 129, 126, 123, 120 - it worked and total is still 630

how about 6 row?

630/6 = 105

105, 105, 105, 105, 105, 105

Struggling with the number around 105 by adding and deducting 3 and still total be 630,..

113, 110, 107, 104, 101, 98 total = 633 not working,..
112, 109, 106, 103, 100, 97 total = 627 not working,..

how about 7 row?

630/7 = 90

90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90 total is still 630

Keep center number as it is,... add and deduct 3, 6 and 9 from all rest.

99, 96, 93, 90, 87, 84, 81 - it worked and total is still 630

how about 4 row?

630/4 = 157 or 158 roughly ( Non-fractional number )

Struggling with 156 and 159, to make total 630 and still keeping distance of 3,..
162, 159, 156, 153 - it worked and total is still 630

How about -2 rows?

630/2 = 315

so,.. ( so far for the total ) 314, 316 works,..... 313, 317 works,.. 312, 318 works,......311, 319 works,...but to keep the difference of 3, it is not working.

==============

Answer is 6 and 2 row.
With me ?

Last edited by Jagmohan; March 7th, 2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Bechare ka poll ka sapna tod diya Jagubhai aapne
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

This guy ( Bagheera ) just grabs random math forum stuff from net,..and then pastes on 3-5 surrounding forums, and uses his no brain.

I can explain him,..
about the Chess question ( why not more boxes on Chess board for a further revised Chess edition,.. ) that, he was asking,
but again, since he is not a technical student,..... IT / IIT / Science / Physics / Engg student,..
he would never get
what I am explaining him.

Last edited by Jagmohan; March 7th, 2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Super eCharchan

Arrey hota hi bhai,just take it as the forwards you received in your email or whatsapp.Nothing to get worked up
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Junior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmohan View Post
Bagheera

Uh ! You are a copycat guy of internet, and use none of yours own brain,.. It seems you grabbed smthg from the Math forums, web pages.. Uh !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmohan View Post
This guy ( Bagheera ) just grabs random math forum stuff from net,..and then pastes on 3-5 surrounding forums, and uses his no brain.

I can explain him,..
about the Chess question ( why not more boxes on Chess board for a further revised Chess edition,.. ) that, he was asking,
but again, since he is not a technical student,..... IT / IIT / Science / Physics / Engg student,..
he would never get
what I am explaining him.
Bhaisaab,

Firstly, this is not a copy-paste from internet. I first read it in a competitive exam (MBA) preparation magazine in college library. I actually wrote it with a pen into my rough book and then typed it on internet.

Secondly, know my limitations. I am an ordinary guy suffering from extraordinary problems and needing help from extraordinary people. Main iss puzzle ko solve karke khush hoon. Regarding my educational background, see my earlier thread.
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:44 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bhaisaab,

Firstly, this is not a copy-paste from internet. I first read it in a competitive exam (MBA) preparation magazine in college library. I actually wrote it with a pen into my rough book and then typed it on internet.

Secondly, know my limitations. I am an ordinary guy suffering from extraordinary problems and needing help from extraordinary people. Main iss puzzle ko solve karke khush hoon. Regarding my educational background, see my earlier thread.
Well, Bagh Pai, what is the time period you aim to finish your MBA.
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bhaisaab,

Saar, I never wanted to demean you, but yr every puzzles I watch on other 6s of forums posted and pasted,.. and especially on math-forums, where someone has challenged it for the question paper for kids to solve within next 10-20 days,.. and have not shown the solution yet !

All I wanted to know, which field you are from,
'Coz certain mathematical terms and explanation, an arts / commerce guy will have hard time to get what one is saying,.. !

The puzzle you had,...

say,....2 rows and with a diff. of 3,.... and still the total should sum up to,.... 630

For that one need to first divide the number by 2 ( come at half the range, of number selecting from ) and then play with the numbers in that range, in a such a fashion, that you have to select 2 numbers, at a distance of 3 from one another,... and still the total adds up to 630.

Now,... if you look here,..

0, 1, 2 3,..........627, 628, 629, 630

You can find many pairs like,..
second and second last 1+ 629 =630
third and third last,.. 2+628 = 630
and so on,...

But the numbers should have a difference of 3, so naturally you will have to come in the center for doing so,.. and that's the criteria and common sense.

If you remember,... that first German guy, in a viva test,.. who was asked for the total of

1 + 2 + 3+ ..............+100 = ??

all he did ( Thought of the common sense ) was,..
1+100=101
2+99=101
3+98=101... and so forth.

So,.. total 50 pairs will be like this, and hence simple.
101x50 = 5050 - the answer.

Later the eqn. he came up w/, was
f(n) = n(n+1)/2

Put n as of upto any term, and it will say the total.

Last edited by Jagmohan; March 8th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.