eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old July 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all
Re: Over 100 killed in Maharashtra rains

check this link of pictures of the flooding

http://info.indiatimes.com/pg/Floods/home.htm
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

yaar indian....bombay kab shift hua yaar??
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Lots of rains in Pune too, but things are oks, Iam able to commute to office though the traffic and roads are pretty bad.

any chances of Mumbai getting better by tomorrow, have to go to Mumbai for some work?
ditto here...here in pune itz drizzling all day....no heavy rains as such..even i need to go to bombay asap....seems like highway isnt going to open in next 36hrs + flights will not be operating from bombay till tomorrow noon...may get extended...this is what airlines guyz are saying for the time being
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

bombay floods + oil rig fire

though itz raininh hard...deshmukh's a$$ must be on fire....i hope his disaster mgt machinery is in place and working properly

times like these when i feel like calling dominos pizza... place an order and wait for these guyz to deliver a pizza in 20mins flat otherwiise free

ok...i feel sorry for the guyz who are suffering. ..just trying to follow kharcha pai's new mantra to feel good whenever therez a major tragedy

Last edited by vyomkeshsaxena; July 27th, 2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Over 100 killed in Maharashtra rains

Tuesday’s deluge in Bombay was the severest, I had ever seen. It started early morning & continued pouring unabated all day with no signs of slowing down. Within a few hours by noon, our factory & adjoining areas were heavily flooded & the level of water logged around just kept rising. People on the road were wading through knee deep water & precariously walking dodging the water currents underneath. Later by 3:00, the situation turned grim with cycles & even motorcycles & cars getting drifted by the strong water currents. The wall of our adjoining industrial estate caved in under the strong force of the surging water on the road & within minutes, the entire ground floor of that building was flooded with neck deep water. Man it was bad. Panicky people came out rushing & others moved to higher floors. All industries closed shop early & people were stranded unable to get any kind of conveyance out.

We too shut down early & I gave a lift to a few my staff to their respective homes nearby. Trains & Buses weren’t plying at many places & many of our members of staff staying in far off suburbs were unable to return home. We made arrangements for their overnight stay in the office including their dinner. I drove back home through the flooded roads slowly. Hordes of people were walking on the roads, some requesting for lifts while others clinging on to whatever buses available. I gave a ride to a few people, I could accommodate. I finally could make it home only at midnight with no let up in the downpour.

Today morning, my place of work was resembling a war zone with bricks from broken walls & stones strewn all around. There were mangled motorcycles & a few damaged cars lying around. There were also news off a couple of bodies including young children that were fished out from the nearby nullah in the morning.

People working in South Bombay apparently returned home only today morning & afternoon with harrowing tales of walking & staying overnight & so on.

I haven’t witnessed nature’s fury unleashed out with such might before in Bombay. The loss of lives is truly sad & distressing.

I am attaching below a photograph, I shot using my cellphone camera from my office entrance of the flooded road outside at 3:00 pm yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image(045).jpg (22.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Cooldude; July 30th, 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

cooldude, if possible stay indoors, dont try to venture out in your vehicle with such floods as you can never be too sure when you can be over whelmed by such a powerful force of nature.

All echarchans in maharashtra, be cool and take the day off. Jaan pyari hai bhaiya, god knows where a naala might be open in floods and one can get sucked away. Please take care.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:39 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Over 100 killed in Maharashtra rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu
cooldude, if possible stay indoors, dont try to venture out in your vehicle with such floods as you can never be too sure when you can be over whelmed by such a powerful force of nature.

All echarchans in maharashtra, be cool and take the day off. Jaan pyari hai bhaiya, god knows where a naala might be open in floods and one can get sucked away. Please take care.
Thanks yaar..

Now life here has limped back to normalcy. You too being a Mumbaikar would know the resilience & courage of any resident of this city. Within a day after any such incidents, life jumps back to the usual routine for all.

Today the rains were scattered through the day but weren't heavy & the flood waters have cleared off gradually.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Over 100 killed in Maharashtra rains

First and foremost I hope all eCharchans in Mumbai and Maharashtra are well and are getting through this terrible strike of Mother Nature.

Years ago, during the 60s, there were a couple of committes setup to study and recommend two things - one was to plan for an increased traffic on roadways in and around Mumbai and the second was to plan for water systems in the growing Mumbai.

Both reports are available, if they have not been washed away by these rains, in the Mantralaya and Municipal Corporation of Mumbai gathering dust, and now I must say soaking water.

The traffic plan was never put into motion and we saw unprecendented congestion. About 7 years ago, the new fly overs and bridges in Bandra and other places through the sea - coastal highways - was initiated and Mumbaikars have started seeing faster commutes and reduction in traffic on main roadways. The work is progressing in many parts and I have witnessed some of the good effects of this on my last visit (last year) to Mumbai.

This traffic and road planing was never put in motion for many years but when it was finally put in motion, at 10 times or more of the original cost, it started helping. Well, better late than never seems to be the mantra with our politicians.

The rain water clogging is not a new phenomenon in Mumbai. Padhu and other Mumbaikar eCharchans will vouch that heavy rains for a couple of times in June and July was always a welcome for school kids as it meant no school! Well, it was nice and cute when only a few roads and areas were blocked and people were stranded at home and enjoyed a short break from daily routine.

Today's rainfall shows how the situation has become impossible and beyond worse. Why has it deterioriated so much? Many reasons - some political and some population related.

Mumbai was already beyond the population explosion limit years ago. Infact since early 80s the infrastructure was overloaded and there was no help from the successive governments in Maharashtra. Mumbai was always looked upon as a cash cow who was only to be milked by the government in the state and the Central government in Delhi, but never nurtured.

Private enterprise has done all it can to improve Mumbai like building jogger's parks, etc.

Mumbai desperately needs population control and strict rules about who can stay and where. By this I mean that everyday thousands come to Mumbai and pitch a hutment and stay. How can the city support this? Recently, a Congresss(I) Chief Minister, nevertheless, decided to take action and went on a demolition drive to bulldoze illegal hutments and settlements which cropped up after 1995 I think. The CM was later stopped by the high command as vote banks were in danger. I would expect the same scenario even if any other party was in power. A good deed does not always mean good for election times. So Mumbai continues to have so many illegal hutments and slums.

People have increased but the infrastructure like drainage, sewers and waste treatment has still remained what it was a few decades ago.

Lets look at the coastal areas of Mumbai. Every suburb and area of Mumbai along the coastline has what is called as a 'koliwada' or 'fisherman colony' where the fisher folk have settled since time immemorial. They have their fishing boats and fish processing and dry fish operations also. This has clogged all free access to the sea on the entire coastline except a few places like Marine Drive, Dadar, Bandra bandstand and Juhu. These fisherfolk need to be rehabilated and small ports or jettys need to be built so that their occupation is not hampered. However, votes and our land laws have not made it possible. What Mumbai needs is waterways and under/overground canals to take the storm water out to the sea. The over population of Mumbai has already clogged the existing drainage system and such waterways and canals would help alleviate the problem. However, our politicians are busy making statements about making Mumbai the next Shanghai without taking even a small step in the right direction.

The Railways are the lifeline of Mumbai. Why? Look at the map of Mumbai. Its a strip. So we have the Central Railway spanning from Victoria Terminus to Kalyan and beyond, the Western Railway spanning from Churchgate to Virar and beyond and the Harbour line dotting all the natural ports in Mumbai right upto New Mumbai, Nhava Sheva ports and beyond.

Railways had been alloted a lot of land and Railways need to expand by laying a couple of more tracks along the current ones. Guess what? Our 'Garibi Hatao' andolan has succeeded in helping scores of illegal slums to settle on railway land. Now the very same people who need more railways services are squatting on Railway land and Mumbai is a mess. So what happens when it rains so hard? The illegal slums bordering the tracks block all the water from dispersing and the existing drainage system goes for a toss. Proposals and feeble efforts from successive governments to move the slums to another place and let railways have more tracks have always been shot down by the opposition party at the time.

Its hard to imagine that a coastal city like Mumbai cannot get the rain water into the sea, but the above stated problems and poor infrastructure have made it a stark reality.

I love my Mumbai and cannot ever dream of living anywhere else in India. It pains me, though I am here, when I see my dear city suffer so much. I grew up there and the city has given me immense joy, hardship, pain, great experiences, and much much more. To see it go waste is like watching a swarm of mosquitoes bite a prey repeatedly to death.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Third Echelon

I am just worried that right now they say only 87 are dead from the flooding (which boviously is not the correct figure) but hundreds will die from cholera and other water bourne diseases in the coming weeks if nothing is done.

Chapai, called home a fewminutes back and if you remember the police station at Kings Circle, water has covered it till almost the 1st floor and police personel are taking refuge on the second floor. People are getting tubes to get the cops out of harms way.

On a sad note, my maid who stays at Antop Hill lost everything, her vessels, tv, clothes etc, everything gone and washed off in water when a part of her house wall collapsed.

I was also reading on Rediff how some passengers were stranded on a double decker bus and how civilians saved these people rather than officials.

I can only say whenever a calamity has struck our city, we have always had unsung heros to save peoples lives and i am proud of that.

Last edited by padhu; July 27th, 2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Over 100 killed in Maharashtra rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude
Thanks yaar..

Now life here has limped back to normalcy. You too being a Mumbaikar would know the resilience & courage of any resident of this city. Within a day after any such incidents, life jumps back to the usual routine for all.

Today the rains were scattered through the day but weren't heavy & the flood waters have cleared off gradually.
yaar any news bout Bombay International airport..?
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Third Echelon

I think they plan to open it at 3 pm tomorrow. Tu kabse International airport ke peche kyo hain yaar. Going on vacation?
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Third Echelon

At least four ONGC workers died and the fate of 45 others looked uncertain after their oil rig on Bombay High was gutted in a massive fire that sparked when a cargo ship trying to navigate choppy seas off Mumbai coast rammed into it. Many of the 385 workers jumped off the rig and 331 were saved after a grim rescue battle conducted in hostile weather and high tide.

The unprecedented rains in Mumbai made things worse by disrupting communications and hindering the rescue helicopters. Some ships on high seas were on their way to the rig at the time of reporting, although poor visibility and hostile weather conditions were making the rescue operation a challenging endeavour.

The gutted platform processed 80,000-100,000 barrels of oil a day. As much as 30% of India's annual crude production of 33 million tonnes comes from Bombay High. Bombay High North platform alone process about 14% of the country's crude output. The production loss is, therefore, huge and it could take days to resume production.

Matlab petrol prices ke laude lag gaye. Already becuase of the rains and floods, there would be price gouging and now they will have a few more reasons to jack up the prices.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu
I think they plan to open it at 3 pm tomorrow. Tu kabse International airport ke peche kyo hain yaar. Going on vacation?
ok..thanx dude!!!!
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Qayamat aa gayi hai bawa!!
How is situation now?Has rain stopped now?
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Chosen One

any updates?????????