eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Banned

max de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud of
FAQ about India by Western Peoples.?????

FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

1. What is the coolest time to visit India?
The coolest weather lasts from November to mid-March, with cool, fresh mornings and evenings and dry, sunny days.

2. I hear Indians are a more conservative lot especially compared to people in Western countries. What kind of clothes would be acceptable here?
Shorts, minis and tank tops are unadvisable unless you're on a beach. In small towns and cities especially, people may tend to stare if you expose too much skin. Safe clothing would be trousers, peddle pushers, capris, skirts, tops and shirts. India has some good cottons which are trendy and affordable. Buy yourself some. Women could try wearing a salwar kameez which is very cool and comfortable and could even improve the attitude of people towards them.

3. What is the best thing to do if pestered by beggars and street urchins? Well, you can start by ignoring them completely and if they get too persistent give them a stern look. If you must give them something, let it not be more than 1 to 2 rupees only.

4. What are the important Hindi words I should know when I'm in India? Well, there are many phrases and words in Hindi that could come in use. like Namaste,kya haal hai, mai achha hoon.etc
5. Can I hire a cell phone in India? You can pick up a mobile phone connection from most departmental stores and often even at small roadside stores. The service provided by these private companies is on par with the best in the world.

6. How safe is drinking water in India? If you are from a foreign country, you may not be used to drinking the water here. Hence we advise that you pick up a bottle of mineral water which is cheap and widely available and usually provided in flasks in hotel rooms. Order the same when you are at a restaurant. As far as possible, avoid drinking any kind of water or juices from roadside carts and vendors.

7. How should I tip waiters at restaurants / hotels? In tourist restaurants or hotels a 10% service charge is often added to bills, in which case there is no need to tip. In smaller places, where tipping is optional, you need only tip a few rupees, not a percentage of your bill. It is customary to tip waiters, porters, guides and drivers.

8. How safe is it to eat non-vegetarian food in India? India, being a primarily Hindu country, beef is rarely served. Pork is also not easily available. Eat non-vegetarian food only in good restaurants. What you get in smaller places is generally of dubious quality though tastes quite yummy, thanks to concoctions of Indian spices and masalas.

9. Are there pubs and discotheques in India? Yes, definitely. Though these are concentrated only in metro cities and big towns. In places like Mumbai and Bangalore you are likely to find several cocktail lounges and coffee bars as well. Most pubs and discs have state of the art sound equipment and an experienced DJ to provide you with good music. Do try the spicy chaats and snacks with your Pina Colada.

10. How best can I get the flavour of a particular destination I visit in India? We would love you to try using the local transport. But this is not advisable in crowded cities like Mumbai. However, do take a ride or two in a state transport bus or tram whenever you have the opportunity. It would be better to take an Indian friend along.
Try and interact more with the locals of the area. There will be a language problem but many people in small towns are quite fluent in English and a few other foreign languages.
Buy a handicraft or souvenir which is typical of the place. It would be better to wear a piece of clothing from the place you are visiting. E.g A sarong in Goa, a baandhani dupatta in Rajasthan. You would blend in well with the local people.
1. Is Yoga a Religion? Because of its roots in India, yoga has often been associated with the Hindu religion, but it is an independent tradition, with physical and psychological processes that have no connection with religious beliefs. Yoga does not meet the traditional definitions of a religion, but there is a set of ethics associated with it. These principles include the five yamas which are non-violence, truthfulness, non-stealing, chastity, and non-greed. Also there are five niyamas which are purity, contentment, self-discipline, self-study, and centering on the Divine. Yoga is a philosophy that has endured 5,000 years.

2. What's the difference between Ayurveda and Yoga?
Ayurveda is a medical science that originated in India five thousand years ago. It is a holistic approach to health that recognizes the importance of mind-body balance. Ayurveda has been recognized by the World Health Organization as an effective system of medicine.
Dating back more than 5,000 years, yoga is one of the oldest exercise systems in existence . and one of the most complex. It is based on the belief that the body and breath are intimately connected with the mind. By controlling the breath and holding the body in steady poses, or asanas, yoga bring about stability and relaxation and prepares the practitioner for the rigors of meditation which involve sitting still and being alert for long periods of time.
Yoga and Ayurveda have always been very closely aligned. Yoga has been more concerned with physiology, Ayurveda, with pharmacology.

3. What's the difference between Yoga and normal exercise? Traditional exercise is goal oriented. Yoga, by contrast, is a process. The idea is to focus on what you are doing and how you feel as you do it. In exercise, you fail if you miss your goal. In yoga, you succeed by trying.

4. I am Christian (or Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Atheist etc.). Can I do Yoga?
Most certainly. Yoga is a spiritual science which is very universal in it approach. It can be practiced regardless of your religious faith.

5. Do I have to be vegetarian in order to do Yoga?
it is better..if you are vegetarian

6. I'm 55. Is that too old to do yoga?
Not at all. Almost anyone can do Yoga, and almost everyone who does will find an increase in flexibility, strength, coordination, body awareness, and concentration. Yoga is non-competitive. It teaches you to learn how your body works and maximize its potential. Yoga works with your body, it does not impose a system of goals towards which you must push yourself, but allows you to discover what you are capable of. Yoga can benefit kids just as much as it helps adults.

7. Can I do yoga if I have physical problems?
The answer to this is usually yes, provided you do so under the supervision of a qualified teacher. Yoga postures can be adapted for most conditions. However, do check with an expert before starting.

8. I'm not very flexible, can I still do Yoga?
Sure you can. In fact, you are just the person who should be doing yoga. Just be careful to start slowly and breathe properly. Soon you will find yourself becoming more flexible, relaxed, energetic and aware.

9. What is the difference between a Yogi, a Guru and a Swami?
The terms define different concepts. A Yogi is someone who practices Yoga. A female practitioner is called a Yogini. The terms are also used for occasional practitioners.
Having reached a certain degree of realization, a Yogi(ni) can become a Guru - one who can have disciples.
Yogis who renounce the world and embrace a monastic life are called Swamis.

10. In which order should I practice Asanas, Pranayama & Meditation?
Traditionally, the Asanas are practiced before the breathing techniques (Pranayama), and both prepare your body for meditation. If you practice early morning, start with meditation - your mind will be more quiet right after waking up and your body is still too stiff for doing Asanas right away.

11. Does yoga help relieve stress?
Yes, it is one of the best ways to reduce stress, since it teaches you to relax and focus. Over time this discipline becomes a part of your everyday life.

12. What should I wear to do yoga?
Any comfortable clothing, like a pair of tights, track pants, or shorts, and a loose T-shirt. If you have long hair, tie it back. No shoes - yoga is performed barefoot.

13. How much time should I wait after eating, before doing yoga?
At least an hour.

14. Will Yoga help me lose weight?
Yoga works in a number of ways. First, the exercises help you burn calories. Second, they tone your muscles and improve your posture so you make the best of what you have. Third, perhaps most important, they orient you towards healthy living, which includes a healthy diet (not necessarily a vegetarian diet, just more of natural food and less of high-fat junk food). Regardless of what yoga does to your weight however, it will make you look and feel better.

15. Is it OK to do yoga during periods?
Mostly this is a matter of personal preference. Just avoid inverted poses, abdominal strengtheners, extended holding of any pose, and energizing breathing.

16. Which style of yoga is best?
There are four main paths of Yoga - Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Jnana Yoga and Raja Yoga. While all seek to balance the body, mind, and spirit, they go about it in various ways, differing in how asanas are done and where the attention is focused. Each is suited to a different temperament or approach to life. All the paths lead ultimately to the same destination - to union with Brahman or God - and the lessons of each of them need to be integrated if true wisdom is to be attained. Most people, especially Westerners, who do yoga simply for exercise, do some form of hatha yoga, yoga's physical discipline that focuses on developing control of the body through asanas or poses. Hatha yoga is a subset of Raja Yoga. The beauty of yoga is that you can dip as far as you like into the pond and still receive some benefits. The deeper you go, the more profound the changes.

Last edited by max de Indiana; May 26th, 2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FAQ about India by Western Peoples.?????

Maxi,

Ye to Yoga ka FAQ lag raha hai.....
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by max de Indiana
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

9. Are there pubs and discotheques in India? Yes, definitely. Though these are concentrated only in metro cities and big towns. In places like Mumbai and Bangalore you are likely to find several cocktail lounges and coffee bars as well. Most pubs and discs have state of the art sound equipment and an experienced DJ to provide you with good music. Do try the spicy chaats and snacks with your Pina Colada.
Good topic Max.
Imp question bhool gayaa which many people visiting India would be interested in knowing.
Is pot available in India ? (mujhe kayi logon ne ye sawaal poocha hai)
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

max de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi
Maxi,

Ye to Yoga ka FAQ lag raha hai.....
actually India is also well known for Yoga.

Last edited by max de Indiana; May 27th, 2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
Good topic Max.
Imp question bhool gayaa which many people visiting India would be interested in knowing.
Is pot available in India ? (mujhe kayi logon ne ye sawaal poocha hai)
..jo sawal tere se pooche hai..unko add karde na
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Okay Max.
Just a few
The replies are mine and related to Pune, kindly don't bash me over them.
Conversation :

1) Is pot available in India ?
Reply : Oh yes, plenty.

2) Is it expensive ?
Reply : Oh no, not at all, in fact, you can get for $10 what you get here for $260.

3) Oh so you mean, I can take a few thousand $$ there and live like a king, smoking hookah ?
Reply : Yes sure, One Dollar = around Rs.43 and that much money can buy you a decent snack or meal.

4) If I go to India, can I have more than 1 wife ?
Reply : No, you cannot, the law prohibits it. However if you are in the countryside, where the laws are are not strict, you may.

5) I know, you guys have chicken, however Will I get Steak and Pork Chops in India?
Reply : Sure, you can get beef and pork, but you have to go to the meat markets for that and tell the guy how you want it cut; in India, the cuts are different, we have smaller pieces.

6) Anything else I need to know ?
Reply : Yes a lot more things, however, one important thing : You generally do not find toilet paper in toilets in houses or public places(except good hotels), we use water and I do not know of a place where you can buy Toilet paper, maybe you can use newspaper (everyone has a good laugh).
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR

6) Anything else I need to know ?
Reply : Yes a lot more things, however, one important thing : You generally do not find toilet paper in toilets in houses or public places(except good hotels), we use water and I do not know of a place where you can buy Toilet paper, maybe you can use newspaper (everyone has a good laugh).