eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
RAM Question..

I am planning to increase the RAM for my desktop. I know the major attributes to check the compatibility is RAM type and number of pins. I have also observed that there is a RAM attribute that goes like 16x64 or 64x64 etc.

Do you know about the significance of this attribute ? What do you call it? For this thread I will call it axb factor. If i buy another RAM with the same type and same number of pins but diff. axb factor, will there be any problem in compatibiltiy ?
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Why not take an existing RAM SIMM module with you to the store and check it out.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Vettaikaran

Parashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud of
Easiest way is to use the Belarc Advisor and shop from crucial.com either by make and model of pc or by make and model of motherboard

http://www.crucial.com/Support/belarc_download.asp
Once my processor is rented cycles in Korea, my RAM is in orbit, and my storage media is distributed in 10K chunks all over the former Soviet Union, and there is no noticable performance hit. Then I'll have enough bandwidth.

http://www.vinod.us

http://www.storagedimensions.us
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
www.deals2buy.com par jaao rana. good deals on rams
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute
abhi ye religious issue ban jayegi...

RAM question... SITA question...

Maybe the computer RAM is named after lord RAM, would love to hear that guy Prof. Oaks take on this... the guy who said Taj Mahal was a hindu temple..
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAM Question..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rana
I am planning to increase the RAM for my desktop. I know the major attributes to check the compatibility is RAM type and number of pins. I have also observed that there is a RAM attribute that goes like 16x64 or 64x64 etc.
my 2 cents....arre yaar it al depends on what motherboard n processor u have....agar p-2 ya p-3 hai to bydefault SD RAM ayega.....baaki to P-4 hai to, According to motherboard configuration, u have to choose from RD and DDR RAM ....ek-kaam karo..as kharcha pai said...take out ur RAM from MB...speed n type of ram must be printed there...SD-133Mhz, DDR-400Mhz and RD-800Mhz...which maked RD the fastes....baat yehi hai ki when u r increasing RAM...try to go for a single chip..i mean instead of 128X2...try to get single 256 Mb chip....coz u r thinking of RAM upgrade...iem sure it must be a P-3 system...right kyonki RD bydefault 2 chip configuration mein aata hai

sau baat ki ek baat....check ur Motherboard n the hardware it supports
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
Gurus,

I know about my RAM type, IT is PC2700 running at 333 Mhz. My question was specific to the factor that I named axb factor in my post. So, if all attributes are the same except this axb factor in two RAM(s), will they be compatible or not ?

Also, there was a point about using a large size memory instead of using multiple smaller memories. Why and will that make a significant difference in response time ?

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Vettaikaran

Parashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud of
1.0GB PC2700 184 pin DIMM
Description:
1.0GB 184pin DDR DIMM 128Mx64 non ECC gold leads unbuffered 2.5 volts PC2700 spec 333Mhz with SPD CAS 2.5 latency

Refer the 128x64 above ..........this refers to the DIMM size i.e 128 x 64 /8 = 1024MB

1.0GB PC2700 184 pin DIMM ECC Reg
Description:
1.0GB 184pin DDR DIMM 128Mx72 ECC Registered gold leads 2.5 volts PC2700 spec 333Mhz with SPD CAS 2.5 latency

Refer the 128x72 above ..........here because there is a parity ECC bit for every eight bits it is 128x72 instead of 128x64 in the first case

What you also need to worry about is the Latency issue .......the above two are 2.5 latency .........

Also look for low heat generation and low power consumption as below :-

512MB PC2700 200 pin SODIMM Low Heat
Description:
512MB 200pin DDR SODIMM 64Mx64 non ECC gold leads unbuffered 2.5 volts PC2700 spec 333Mhz with SPD CAS 2.5 latency 16 chip count 1.25 inches tall Very Low Power/Low Heat Module
Once my processor is rented cycles in Korea, my RAM is in orbit, and my storage media is distributed in 10K chunks all over the former Soviet Union, and there is no noticable performance hit. Then I'll have enough bandwidth.

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
ek second ke liye chakkar sa aagaya tha . ab theek hoon
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Vettaikaran

What do 16x64, 16x72, etc. represent when describing memory?

You may see the size of your module written in the format 16Meg x 64, 16Meg x 72, etc. In this format, the second number gives the width of the data path in bits. If this number is divisible by nine, it is a parity or ECC module; otherwise, it is a non-parity module

168-pin DIMMs - There are 32 Meg, 64 Meg, 128 Meg, 256 Meg and 512 Meg DIMMs in popular use. They are identified as somethingX64 (non-ECC) or somethingX72 (with ECC). The sixty-fifth through the seventy-second bits are the ECC bits. The formula to determine the megabytes on a DIMM is (xXn)/8 for non-ECC and (xXn)/9 for ECC DIMMs. For example, a 16x64 DIMM is equal to 128 Meg. (16x64=1024, 1024/8=128).

72-pin SIMMs There are 4 Meg, 8 Meg, 16 Meg 32 Meg and 64 Meg SIMMs in popular use. They are identified as a somethingX32 (non-parity) or somethingX36 (parity). The thirty-third through the thirty-sixth bits are the parity bits. The formula to determine the amount of memory on a 72-pin SIMM is (xXn)/8 for non-parity and (xXn)/9 for parity SIMMs. For example, a 2X32 SIMM is equal to 8 Meg. (2X32=64, 64/8=8).

30-pin SIMMs There are only 1 Meg and 4Meg 30-pin SIMMs in popular use. They are identified as a 1Xsomething or a 4Xsomething. There are non-parity, (1X8), and parity, (1X9), versions of these SIMMs. The ninth bit is the parity bit. Another convention of naming the SIMMs is to identify the number of chips on a 30-pin SIMM. Therefore a 1X3 is just like a 1X9 except that it uses 3 chips to make the same thing. The three chip SIMMs are comprised of two chips which have the value of 4 each, totaling 8, and one more chip to make the ninth (parity) bit. These SIMMs are functionally and logically equivalent to a 9-chip SIMM and can be used in place of a 9-chips SIMM in almost all cases

Last edited by Parashuram; May 11th, 2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Banned

desiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these partsdesiboy is infamous around these parts
well error and try is the best way..
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
RAM sita hai to RAM kaun hai?