eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Friday Special

Notices

Friday Special Tickle your funny bone...

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:46 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Is this sexy or normal ? Breast feeding model's photo on magazine cover

Kerala advocate Vinod Mathew Wilson has filed a case against Malayalam magazine Grihalakshmi for featuring actress and writer Gilu Joseph breastfeeding a child on the cover of its latest edition, reports ANI. Live Law mentions that the complaint alleges the picture is 'lascivious' in nature, and that it appeals "to prurient interests and tends to degrade the dignity of womanhood."

The complaint further alleges that offences under Sections 3 and 4 of the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 have been committed.

The filing of this complaint comes as a contrast to the praise people have heaped on the actress and the publication for this choice of cover, with some even calling it a historic first in the context of India, and even the beginning of a revolution to de-sexualise the act.

The text below Joseph's picture reads: "Mothers tell Kerala, 'please don't stare, we need to breastfeed'".

Speaking to Indian Express Malayalam, Gilu Joseph says that she was not apprehensive about appearing on the cover, and that she considers breastfeeding a mother's privilege. "It is a problem to interpret this sexually. Isn’t it a beautiful thing, friends? Why do you think it is wrong? Which god will be angry if you feed your child?" she asks, questioning society's tendencies to shame women. She says that she agreed to the campaign without paying heed to what people may think because she believes only she has a right over her body, and that only she can decide what she must do with it.

Joseph told the news website that her family did not approve of her decision to feature on the cover in this manner. Her mother and two sisters — one of whom is a nun — disapproved and criticised her, and though she says she respects their opinion, she remained undeterred from doing what she thought was right. This is indicative of how deep-seated patriarchal notions about women's bodies can be, such that even women subscribe to them.

The cover has received mix responses on social media. Users have criticised the magazine for trying to titillate audiences by presenting the model in such an 'exposed manner'. "It is a cheap publicity stunt," wrote one Facebook user. One male user asserted that he could not find any difference between this cover and "a seducing photo of an indian woman". Another male user insisted that mothers should "cover themselves up" while feeding their children. A third insisted that 'kaliyug' has descended upon humanity, because she chose to pose like this. A fourth insisted that this is not how mothers breastfeed their children.

But a majority have lauded the magazine for normalising and de-stigmatising the act of breastfeeding.

People may criticise the way she has been styled for the cover; she can be seen wearing a streak of sindoor and a mangalsutra, both traditional markers of marriage which when forced upon women is considered patriarchal. However, Joseph says that the photograph is a message to wives and mothers in India, to tell them that they can choose to feed their children without the fear of what people will say or do.

Women breastfeeding their children have been the subject of many magazine covers in the past, such as TIME and Babytalk. Readers called Babytalk's cover "gross" because it featured an exposed breast, even though the focus was on the infant's face and expression. TIME, on the other hand, drew flak because the child in question was significantly old — 4-years-old, to be exact. It led to a larger discussion on Jamie Lynne Grumet, the woman who was featured, attachment parenting, and a parent's decision to raise their child in the way they see fit. In the past, brands such Gap have also featured models breastfeeding children in their ads.

Social media users have been terming Gilu Joseph and Grihalakshmi's move as being 'bold'. That such a natural process which follows motherhood and which is considered essential to raising a healthy child is still considered 'bold' shows that the decision to breastfeed one's child in public is still viewed as being radical and political.

Published Date: Mar 01, 2018 11:46 AM | Updated Date: Mar 02, 2018 12:00 PM

http://www.firstpost.com/living/grih...r-4371741.html

I find nothing wrong with the topic, what's your take ?
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Last edited by raniraja; March 2nd, 2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Resized the image
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Re: Is this sexy or normal ?

I feel that the lady looks beautiful breastfeeding the child. It is tasteful and nurturing. It is a core part of being a woman and appropriate for a magazine called Grihalakshmi.

The people offended by it need to get a life.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a beautiful picture of a mother and her child.

Its not just in India, this shaming happens (though may not be as much) in most countries. They make this beautiful breastfeeding covers. Its beautiful when a child feeds that way. More often than not, a child will not feed that way. Try eating under a blanket if you dont trust me.

I was told off once for this. I had zero energy to fight (you remember those sleepless nights with babies?), so I went to a bathroom, sat on a toilet and fed my son.

Point is, this shaming happens all around the world.
Its seriously time to desexualize breastfeeding.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:13 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Accept and Celebrate All Criticism, Says Breastfeeding Model on Malayalam Magazine Post Complaint

https://www.news18.com/news/india/ac...d-1677117.html

That's a gutsy girl.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:47 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

You wanna get us fired from our jobs? putting this pic on front page?

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 2nd, 2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:50 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fashionable these days to do such things..

even Holi festival is facing attacks from liberandus saying waste of water and what not.. some low caste bastards started saying Holika was a Harijan woman so she was burnt per the casteist Hindu mythology.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I think it's fashionable these days to do such things..
hmmm? exactly what do you mean by this statement?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
hmmm? exactly what do you mean by this statement?
It's fashionable these days to not follow norms. You get easy attention with social media.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
It's fashionable these days to not follow norms. You get easy attention with social media.
What is the norm? What should be the choice?
Bottle feed or cover up or sit in a bathroom?

I think I am missing your point here. You dont come across like someone who would say "cover-up" to a mother who is feeding her child.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:11 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Can't say whether it is a publicity stunt, but the picture itself is, IMO, not cheap nor pandering to prurient interests.

What could be worrisome is that it may unleash cheap copycats.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I think I am missing your point here. You dont come across like someone who would say "cover-up" to a mother who is feeding her child.
I'm not comfortable with a woman breast feeding in public.. but then I won't say anything either, it's their wish who am I to say. I think one can go to a corner or ask for help to cover up.

Few years back at Newark airport while waiting for flight to India, I saw a desi lady breast feeding her little baby as I was going to take a seat at the gate, I realized and stopped people from going to that aisle.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I'm not comfortable with a woman breast feeding in public.. but then I won't say anything either, it's their wish who am I to say. I think one can go to a corner or ask for help to cover up.

Few years back at Newark airport while waiting for flight to India, I saw a desi lady breast feeding her little baby as I was going to take a seat at the gate, I realized and stopped people from going to that aisle.
Its good we have someone on board who is not comfortable with feeding in public. It will help understand the notion.

Sarvi, is there a reason why you are not comfortable seeing a woman like that?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:32 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Its good we have someone on board who is not comfortable with feeding in public. It will help understand the notion.

Sarvi, is there a reason why you are not comfortable seeing a woman like that?
He is also uncomfortable with this picture on the front page

Seriously, Aashika, one can discuss the issue, maybe even agree that there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, but even I would rather they covered it with dupatta or something.

Why ? You would ask. IMO, it's a private moment and nothing wrong in protecting it.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
He is also uncomfortable with this picture on the front page

Seriously, Aashika, one can discuss the issue, maybe even agree that there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, but even I would rather they covered it with dupatta or something.

Why ? You would ask. IMO, it's a private moment and nothing wrong in protecting it.
The problem is RR, most babies do not drink when covered up. Unless they are starving by that point couldn't care less.

I dont see this as protecting the moment. I guess we should just agree to disagree on this.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon I and Sarvi hold the same opinion - not comfortable with women feeding in public because other people are insensitive. I have seen people ogle at the exposed breast or pass remarks between themselves. I cant do anything about it always however I am pretty certain that the lady doing the breastfeeding feels bad about it.

probably not the right reason...