eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old December 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Review - Avatar

Anyone here seen it yet ?
People who have seen it in 3-D are memerized by its fantastic special effects.
James Cameron has delivered a masterclass it seems.
Write your reviews here.
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Review - Avatar

Is there story or just special effects? Till date all of James Cameron's movies had a story to back up the special effects. Hope this one has too.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
Anyone here seen it yet ?
People who have seen it in 3-D are memerized by its fantastic special effects.
James Cameron has delivered a masterclass it seems.
Write your reviews here.

Scroll down the screen. Babu posted a link for the trailer a while back.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Abey trailer to dekha re... Lekin story accha hai ya pura special effects hee marela hain??
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Abey trailer to dekha re... Lekin story accha hai ya pura special effects hee marela hain??
its 1/2 and 1/2 , thats the info ones getting from the reviews that i read in NY post and A & M NY.
Some gave it 3/5, but with a must see for the graphics and some gave it 4.5/5.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

After all the hype you guys created about it,i watched it today.I almost went on to watch de dhana dhan ,3:30 show ,but then i took the gamble and watched avatar instead.I am a total anti-scifi guy but after almost 4 years i watched a movie for which i paid from my pocket.and the good news is that i am not regretting it at all.

The start is slow yet the whole background is well explained.Sam Wothington aka Jake sully is an ex marine who has been hired in place of his dead brother to know more about the Na'vi people who share the planet with humans(americans).
Sigourney Weaver aka Grace is the scientist who is researching on those people and Gio Ribisi is a corporate guy who wants to take over the land of Naavi's which has some very expensive element buried in it.He hires Dr.Grace to convince those people to move to a new place by surrendering their land to his company.He has Stehpen Lang (parker selfridge) a shrewd and brutal ex jarhead who wishes to get the land by war and dominance.

The Naavi people look a bit different and leading a stone age lifestyle,while most of their customs look like they belong to some african tribe.

The story is not upto the mark,Cameron has mixed emotions,action drama and romance in this sci fi movie.But the highlite of the movie is the technical side.Awesome graphics,great camera work,amazing setup which a pretty good background score.5 out of 5 for the technical part,i am still wondering how they did all that.Its true amazing.Your eyes would definitely lit up during the background of the Naavi land.

The second half is good and exciting and the war sequence is too good..i dont wish to reveal anymore..seriously guys go and catch it this christmas..dont you dare to d/l it and watch,you will ruin it.
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi View Post
After all the hype you guys created about it,i watched it today.I almost went on to watch de dhana dhan ,3:30 show ,but then i took the gamble and watched avatar instead.I am a total anti-scifi guy but after almost 4 years i watched a movie for which i paid from my pocket.and the good news is that i am not regretting it at all.

The start is slow yet the whole background is well explained.Sam Wothington aka Jake sully is an ex marine who has been hired in place of his dead brother to know more about the Na'vi people who share the planet with humans(americans).
Sigourney Weaver aka Grace is the scientist who is researching on those people and Gio Ribisi is a corporate guy who wants to take over the land of Naavi's which has some very expensive element buried in it.He hires Dr.Grace to convince those people to move to a new place by surrendering their land to his company.He has Stehpen Lang (parker selfridge) a shrewd and brutal ex jarhead who wishes to get the land by war and dominance.

The Naavi people look a bit different and leading a stone age lifestyle,while most of their customs look like they belong to some african tribe.

The story is not upto the mark,Cameron has mixed emotions,action drama and romance in this sci fi movie.But the highlite of the movie is the technical side.Awesome graphics,great camera work,amazing setup which a pretty good background score.5 out of 5 for the technical part,i am still wondering how they did all that.Its true amazing.Your eyes would definitely lit up during the background of the Naavi land.

The second half is good and exciting and the war sequence is too good..i dont wish to reveal anymore..seriously guys go and catch it this christmas..dont you dare to d/l it and watch,you will ruin it.
So in short there is Medha Patkar elements too
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Eyes lit up or not but were definitely tired after what seemed like an eternity. Movie definitely not brilliant... Abyss was kinda similar... Avatar seems an extension... even in 2154 year humans are scared of these Na'vi tribes (they were speaking what seemed a mix of Chinese and Afrikaans) and shooting them with regular missiles. Too many mistakes I can point out.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Eyes lit up or not but were definitely tired after what seemed like an eternity. Movie definitely not brilliant... Abyss was kinda similar... Avatar seems an extension... even in 2154 year humans are scared of these Na'vi tribes (they were speaking what seemed a mix of Chinese and Afrikaans) and shooting them with regular missiles. Too many mistakes I can point out.
The problem with special effects movies is that we are all jaded now with special effects.

I mean, look at the time when Terminator was released. It was somehting super cool. It felt as if the cyborg was for real. Especially the scene where the bad cyborg pours itself into the helicopter. That kind of special effect was unheard or unseen before. That effect had a wow factor.

Then came The Matrix and we saw that panoramic view where Keanu Reeves is shown from all sides. Also the slow motion shots where he dodges the bullets. Those two effects had a super wow factor.

But as days went by, special effects became so routine that we no longer could distinguish between reality and special effects. Somewhere deep down we acknowledged that this was a special effect but the beauty of the advances in computer animation was such that we never really felt that it was unreal. While this was a great achievement, it took away the magic of seeing something 'special'. I mean do you remember the film ET where all the kids are cycling and then they air lift and go across the silhouette of the moon? That was wow.

Now, we all know that everything can be done with effects. Entire movies can be rendered on a computer with actors just thrown in.

Unfortunately many directors just use special effects and focus less on the story. So for me, special effects dont hold any sway. Infact, I want a great story and engrossing screen action. Special effects are fine if they enhance what I am seeing, but I dont want to see a movie because it has special effects!

So I think I will be wowed if they show some special effect which is not well polished and it distinctly looks like its unreal and somehow has been welded into the scene. Like in earlier science fiction films or tv series where you know that the effect is totally fake and almost laughable. Now thats what I would call a special effect!
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

good movie no doubt but as you point out Cha pai not path breaking stuff... I recall Matrix, Terminator were THE movies to watch for outstanding new effects, concept... Avatar somehow falls short on that Zing we were all expecting.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
good movie no doubt but as you point out Cha pai not path breaking stuff... I recall Matrix, Terminator were THE movies to watch for outstanding new effects, concept... Avatar somehow falls short on that Zing we were all expecting.
Exactly my point. Show me something with a wow factor or else stick to regular story telling with effects but dont hype the effects. We know, we have seen it all.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

It is up to you to watch this movie or not but I think Matrix/terminator special effects were different.Avatar is completely different and better than them.Much better.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
So in short there is Medha Patkar elements too
Yep. Lots of liberal crap. There is a scene where this general (security head of the company) gives a "motivational" speech to the soldiers before launching the war. That speech was a big load of BS that left wants to potray conservative folks as. The whole movie reeked off liberal propaganda on how companies are bad and other BS!

The technical aspect of the movie was beyond words. Creativity takes a new dimension when you look at the way they designed everything but the story is a disappointment.

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

special effects were fantastic .

the plot reminded me of the amitabh-rajesh khanna starrer namak-haram.

the hero who has been sent as a secret agent among the navi tribes gets converted to their cause and falls in love with a beautiful navi girl.

Last edited by ashdoc; December 21st, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshp View Post
Yep. Lots of liberal crap. There is a scene where this general (security head of the company) gives a "motivational" speech to the soldiers before launching the war. That speech was a big load of BS that left wants to potray conservative folks as. The whole movie reeked off liberal propaganda on how companies are bad and other BS!

The technical aspect of the movie was beyond words. Creativity takes a new dimension when you look at the way they designed everything but the story is a disappointment.
Ramesh, you are looking at the problem from Earth point of view. The movie explains the reason very well, as to why they consider the Trees divine(borrowed from the Hindu concept, even the big tree I believe was borrowed from the banyan trees that are on the main street of any small village where elders sit and discuss.

The part which needed improvement was the interaction between the hero and the heroine, they could have made it more interesting.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.