eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old April 7th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
Day Light Saving..

Why everybody has to follow the DST practise ? Is it in the constitution ? I hate the idea of changing time in my 15 watches twice every year.

Old April 7th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Day Light Saving..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rana
Why everybody has to follow the DST practise ? Is it in the constitution ? I hate the idea of changing time in my 15 watches twice every year.

you don't have to change....only remember that your watch is either ahead or behind the rest of the populace for half of the year
Old April 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Not everyone has to follow. Indiana (and one other state) do not.

Also, why on earth do you have 15 watches (clocks?) in your house?

Also, I reached an hour late today because of this $hit
Old April 7th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G

Also, I reached an hour late today because of this $hit
Email nahi bhejte kyaa tumhare office me as a reminder?

Well it happened to me once (but I came an hour early). No one was at work.. usually everyone is in much before I come in. I was confused!!. Then when my boss came I asked him why are all the clocks showing wrong time? He burst out laughing and told me that they moved the time in USA One hour behind.. I asked him why they would do something so bizzare and he laughed even more and then thought and turned to me and said.. wait a minute.. I myself dont know.. let me check with someone. He never came back with the answer though.
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Daylight Saving Time

google zindabad!!
did you know that 80 countries use DST?

cut/paste from http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html

Daylight Saving Time is a change in the standard time of each time zone. Time zones were first used by the railroads in 1883 to standardize their schedules. According to the The Canadian Encyclopedia Plus by McClelland & Stewart Inc., Canada's "[Sir Sandford] Fleming also played a key role in the development of a worldwide system of keeping time. Trains had made obsolete the old system where major cities and regions set clocks according to local astronomical conditions. Fleming advocated the adoption of a standard or mean time and hourly variations from that according to established time zones. He was instrumental in convening an International Prime Meridian Conference in Washington in 1884 at which the system of international standard time -- still in use today -- was adopted."
In 1918, the U.S. Congress made the U.S. rail zones official under federal law and gave the responsibility to make any changes to the Interstate Commerce Commission, the only federal transportation regulatory agency at the time. When Congress created the Department of Transportation in 1966, it transferred the responsibility for the time laws to the new department.

The American law by which we turn our clock forward in the spring and back in the fall is known as the Uniform Time Act of 1966. The law does not require that anyone observe Daylight Saving Time; all the law says is that if we are going to observe Daylight Saving Time, it must be done uniformly.

Daylight Saving Time has been around for most of this century and even earlier.

Benjamin Franklin, while a minister to France, first suggested the idea in an essay titled "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light." The essay was first published in the Journal de Paris in April 1784. But it wasn't for more than a century later that an Englishman, William Willett, suggested it again in 1907.

Willett was reportedly passing by a home where the shades were down, even though the sun was up. He wrote a pamphlet called "The Waste of Daylight" because of his observations.

Willett wanted to move the clock ahead by 80 minutes in four moves of 20 minutes each during the spring and summer months. In 1908, the British House of Commons rejected advancing the clock by one hour in the spring and back again in the autumn.

Willett's idea didn't die, and it culminated in the introduction of British Summer Time by an Act of Parliament in 1916. Clocks were put one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) during the summer months.

England recognized that the nation could save energy and changed their clocks during the first World War.

In 1918, in order to conserve resources for the war effort, the U.S. Congress placed the country on Daylight Saving Time for the remainder of WW I. It was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. The law, however, proved so unpopular that it was later repealed.

When America went to war again, Congress reinstated Daylight Saving Time on February 2, 1942. Time in the U.S. was advanced one hour to save energy. It remained advanced one hour forward year-round until September 30, 1945.

In England, the energy saving aspects of Daylight Saving were recognized again during WWII. Clocks were changed two hours ahead of GMT during the summer, which became known as Double Summer Time. But it didn't stop with the summer. During the war, clocks remained one hour ahead of GMT though the winter.

From 1945 to 1966, there was no U.S. law about Daylight Saving Time. So, states and localities were free to observe Daylight Saving Time or not.

This, however, caused confusion -- especially for the broadcasting industry, and for trains and buses. Because of the different local customs and laws, radio and TV stations and the transportation companies had to publish new schedules every time a state or town began or ended Daylight Saving Time.

By 1966, some 100 million Americans were observing Daylight Saving Time through their own local laws and customs. Congress decided to step in end the confusion and establish one pattern across the country. The Uniform Time Act of 1966 (15 U.S. Code Section 260a) created Daylight Saving Time to begin on the last Sunday of April and to end on the last Sunday of October. Any area that wanted to be exempt from Daylight Saving Time could do so by passing a local ordinance. The law was amended in 1986 to begin Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April.
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Zorrs... I did not say I still do not know the reason. I just said he never came back to me with the answer.. baad me mai ne googleize kar liyaa thaa.
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
This idea itslef is stupid. I do not think they gain anything by it. If the idea here is to save the electric energy, I do not see that happening. I mean, I have always observed the people leave their computer and desk lights on where I work.

So what is the f****** big deal ?
Damn it !! last year I almost missed a flight because of this stupid rule.
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
last year I almost missed a flight because of this stupid rule.
How can you almost miss a flight.. either you missed it or you did not miss it.. almost mane kyaa running plane board karni padi kyaa?

Bataayaa nahi 15 ghadi kyon rakhaa hai apne paas?
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Pelu Pelu

Aise karo rana pai..

Keeep 7 Running in DT and the other 7 in ST and make one India time.. thats it.. panga hi nahi hai.. Jab DT hoinga to follow the DT watches and ST hoinga tab ST watches follow karo.. no need to fiddle with em anymore.. kyon?
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
almost mane kyaa running plane board karni padi kyaa?

even then he either misses or catches..
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:11 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Day Light Saving..

Quote:
I hate the idea of changing time in my 15 watches twice every year.

twice a year? we do it only once a year ...

15 watches ... you work in a watch repair shop or you have a watch for every time zone?
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I think DST

was for facilitating farmers in days yore, so that they could get maximum benefits of the day light for farming activities.
Old April 7th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of
er.... farmers are mostly against DST. For a much better explanation, go to this page: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_052.html

Note that some of the replies were from farmers!

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old April 7th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of

Quote:
I hate the idea of changing time in my 15 watches twice every year.
Get yourself 15 self-adjusting watches. Some of my later model digital watches automatically adjust themselves -- it's only the earlier models and my analog watches that I have to worry about.

BTW my friends think I have a watch fetish, but even I don't own 15 watches .

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old April 7th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Senior eCharchan

UMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these parts

Quote:

If I had 15 watches, I would set half of them to daylight saving time and the other half to std time. Then I could just swich watches rather than adjust time.