eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I cannot understand....

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Girl

Go figure!
Go Canes!
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
hayn??
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is the big deal about about selecting a certain language as our national language.
Nothing changes.. just a national "identity' thingy.. like peacock is the national bird.. we can have the crow as a national bird and things do not change.. same with national game.. (hockey).. while people are head over heals over cricket.. or national animal tiger.. poor creatures get poached unabated while slaughtering of cow is a political issue.. We are screwd up everywhere.. why not here too?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice

Quote:
What is the big deal about about selecting a certain language as our national language. Nothing is going to change just because you can or cannot speak hindi. Why are people making this into an ego issue. Nor is your speaking Hindi going to make you a smaller person.

And what is wrong with Hindi being our national language? The more languages you know the better it is. End of the story. Tomorrow if bengali is to be made our national language would the world change because of it... of course not!!!

The fact of the matter is that you do have to make an effort to learn something and make an effort to accept certain things too. Nothing is achieved is without trying. You have to work at something to make it work. To be perceived as a country you have to be percieved as part of the "crowd", and when one third of the population rejects the notion of a hindi speaking nation and makes it into a north south issue, where does this all leave us???

Go figure!
Well said!

Also agree 100% with Rahul

Mark Twain
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
hayn??

thats tha NC ice-hockey team..that currently down 1-3 in tha Stanley Cup Finals
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Chosen One

Talking Re: Re: I cannot understand....

Quote:
Originally posted by videsee

Also agree 100% with Rahul

me too
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Ronit kya kehna chahta hai?
A Proud Indian American
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:42 PM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute
Hindi is our national language, as it is spoken by a majority of the people; but if we are going to forcibly ram it down the throats of everyone, then we are only left with another issue which will divide the country and people (as though we do not have enough).

Most people who hate Hindi, do so because of the superior attitude shown by some Hindi speakin folks. Everyone's mother tongue is naturally going to be their first love. This is necessary for us to keep our individual launguages and cultures going. Loving India has got no connection to knowing Hindi.
Anyway, most people in India are busy thinking about their next meal and could care less about learning any other language unless it helps them achieve that next meal.

If some south Indian has to live in Hindi speaking areas, then he will learn hindi. Most hindi speaking folks who are staying in Madras for a long time speak Tamil very well.
So let's not make this language issue into a patritic issue as rightly put by blrboy and look at it very practically.

If not, what next? will I be termed unpatriotic if I do not love our national Animal??? Sigh!!!!
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by King

Most people who hate Hindi, do so because of the superior attitude shown by some Hindi speakin folks

do u expect me to believe this??
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:48 PM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by DesiBaba

do u expect me to believe this??
I do not profess that this is the truth. I think I should have framed the sentence as just my feeling. But again, I do believe that this is true. This from the discussions I had with various people.

Do you know that the previous generation of tamil folks all were great fans of Hindi film music.
Why has this changed now?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Chosen One

Quote:

Do you know that the previous generation of tamil folks all were great fans of Hindi film music.
Why has this changed now?
why?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Most people who hate Hindi, do so because of the superior attitude shown by some Hindi speakin folks.
This is the funniest comment I have come across... I have lived with Hindi speaking folks (read Northies) almost all my life and I have found them to have a lot less attitude than my own sambar m0therfockers down south.. Infact, the first condition for my prospective wife was she SHOULD NOT be from TN in general and specifically from Madras.. (and me a sambar by birth )

I find it very easy to gel with people from khumaon to hoobly to bihar to mumbai.. but with TN guys.. I am usually a little distant because of the attitude.. (Oh I am such a smart ass sorts). Infact I refused to speak to my uncle for years cos he would not respond to my questions if asked in Hindi even though he spoke that language well.
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Senior Echarchan

No offense to anyone...

BUT, 75% of the southies that I have worked with over here.... act as if they are gods gift to technology. They talk to you condescendingly, do not offer any explantions and expect people to acknowledge that they are great and we should be indebted to them. If you do not know anything they expect you to learn by yourself and do not even profess to help. This is especially true of southie guys with an IIT degree

And I have worked on plenty of different projects in the past 5 years to come to this conclusion.

Again no offense to anyone. This is just my observation.
A Proud Indian American
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Pelu Pelu

Superji.. you will not find that attitude in Telugu southies .. and southies from mumbai, delhi, hyderabad (basically a comopolitan place..). The fellers from my state.. tamil nadu and folks from Madras are the typical smart alecs.. and not only they talk to you condecendinglly.. they talk about you also the same way.. if only you could understand what they speak.. I had one fella who did not konw I knew tamil very well (usually my last name does not appear in my email ids ) and used to talk to his friends oin the phone about me and all the time in Tamil and I used to sit right across him and smile to myself.. it was on the day he gave his 15 day notice that I spoke to him in Tamil makeing him look like a total jerk..
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I feel that one should know HIndi

We all learn English at school and use it at the office atleast.

Then we learn our own mother tongue which is "usually" the regional language of the state we reside in.

We need to learn Hindi as it becomes easier to communciate with a person from a different state.

I mean , it becomes easy to talk to someone from say South India, if I am from North India.

Offcourse English is there but HIndi has a more special context as we can communcate more in the Indian context.

I definitely encourage all to learn Hindi - we need to have a unifying language. English is usually learnt and spoken in big cities and towns... whereas Hindi is something that can be found even in a village - atleast in Northern parts of India.