eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 11th, 2002, 11:59 AM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL

This is the funniest comment I have come across... I have lived with Hindi speaking folks (read Northies) almost all my life and I have found them to have a lot less attitude than my own sambar m0therfockers down south.. Infact, the first condition for my prospective wife was she SHOULD NOT be from TN in general and specifically from Madras.. (and me a sambar by birth )

I find it very easy to gel with people from khumaon to hoobly to bihar to mumbai.. but with TN guys.. I am usually a little distant because of the attitude.. (Oh I am such a smart ass sorts). Infact I refused to speak to my uncle for years cos he would not respond to my questions if asked in Hindi even though he spoke that language well.
Their are many classes of people. The ones we are talking about in Tamilnadu who oppose hindi are not the common man. Think of the commoner in Tamilnadu, I think this whole hindi thing would be new to him and he would never have given any thought to hating hindi his whole life.
I too find it surprising that the superior attitude of some North Indians is not felt by others here. I am sure many south indians feel it too.
I have seen this many times, such as criticising the habits, making snobbish comments about accents etc.

In tamilnadu especially, the political parties are the main cause for this issue.
( I am trying to work while typing here. So sorry if the thoughts seem very random)
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by King

I have seen this many times, such as criticising the habits, making snobbish comments about accents etc.

well what would happen if they walk around in half-folded lungis in US?????

come to mah place and i will show u some kewl stuff here...
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Banned

CYBERIAN is on a distinguished road
hindi

let me reassure hindi speaking people that there is no such thing as 'hatred' for hindi in southern states except TN.

But there are always people looking for causes. 'Anti-hindiism' is one such cause.

Even tamilians in Bombay speak Hindi as well as anybody else. It is more a question of necessity and durvival instinct.

For the info of even all northies I have felt there is a subtle undercurrent of dislike for tamil and tamilians in all southern states (other than TN).
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Superji.. you will not find that attitude in Telugu southies .. and southies from mumbai, delhi, hyderabad (basically a comopolitan place..). The fellers from my state.. tamil nadu and folks from Madras are the typical smart alecs.. and not only they talk to you condecendinglly.. they talk about you also the same way.. if only you could understand what they speak.. I had one fella who did not konw I knew tamil very well (usually my last name does not appear in my email ids ) and used to talk to his friends oin the phone about me and all the time in Tamil and I used to sit right across him and smile to myself.. it was on the day he gave his 15 day notice that I spoke to him in Tamil makeing him look like a total jerk..
I do not find this typical at all. I have worked with many from Madras/Tamilnadu and I do not feel this attitude at all.
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Desibaba lungi ke baare me kuch nahi bolnaa.. that is my national dress
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Desibaba lungi ke baare me kuch nahi bolnaa.. that is my national dress
arrey bhai lekin how can u wear that thing folded upto tha arse outside in tha apartment complex???? in US??
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by DesiBaba

arrey bhai lekin how can u wear that thing folded upto tha arse outside in tha apartment complex???? in US??
That is the beauty of it pal.. it is adjustible.. (height) .. I mean.. depends on what you are doing at taht moment..

Lifting it has many uses.. like if you pick the lungi and fold it to half.. while threatening someone.. the effect is doubled.. geddit?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
eCharchan

Quote:

well what would happen if they walk around in half-folded lungis in US?????

come to mah place and i will show u some kewl stuff here...
First of all, this may be just some wierd guy. I do not see anyone roaming in Lungis where I live.
And then, I wonder why should you be bothered so much by this?
I do not think that the Americans would have been so bothered about this. They would have been amused, but then they would be amused if they saw some one is a Sari or a Salwar too.
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Chosen One

Quote:

That is the beauty of it pal.. it is adjustible.. (height) .. I mean.. depends on what you are doing at taht moment..

Lifting it has many uses.. like if you pick the lungi and fold it to half.. while threatening someone.. the effect is doubled.. geddit?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Chosen One

Quote:

I do not think that the Americans would have been so bothered about this
YA?
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Superji.. you will not find that attitude in Telugu southies .. and southies from mumbai, delhi, hyderabad (basically a comopolitan place..). The fellers from my state.. tamil nadu and folks from Madras are the typical smart alecs.. and not only they talk to you condecendinglly.. they talk about you also the same way.. if only you could understand what they speak.. I had one fella who did not konw I knew tamil very well (usually my last name does not appear in my email ids ) and used to talk to his friends oin the phone about me and all the time in Tamil and I used to sit right across him and smile to myself.. it was on the day he gave his 15 day notice that I spoke to him in Tamil makeing him look like a total jerk..
I agree, Ravi.

I have/had southie friends from Bombay/North/Gujarat and I never ever had a problem with them.

But here on the projects, it was an all new experience.

There have been times when I could have easily scratched their eyes out and kicked them where it hurts the most. Only I had to restrain myself and appear accomodating and smile sweetly just because I needed them badly to complete my documentation.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Chosen One

hey,King ..man,am really sorry for mah tone man..i apologize...but i can neva accept such things man....
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:

I do not find this typical at all. I have worked with many from Madras/Tamilnadu and I do not feel this attitude at all.
Sir.. not only at work..even at home.. if you share an appartment with a Typical madrasi from madras.. your blood pressure will rise quite a few notches every week.. bichaar ek dilli ka shaarif jain banda aur mai ek sambar se guest house share karte the when I came first to USA.. atleast I could understand the mumbling.. that other guy was always pissed cos he could not understand the mumbling.. he would pressure me to translate and I could not (not cos I did not understand.. but because I understood!!!) and then all hell would break loose.. atleast once a week it used to be like Raju and shyaam in hera pheri..

(It was fun while it lasted though )
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:10 PM
eCharchan

Quote:
hey,King ..man,am really sorry for mah tone man..i apologize...but i can neva accept such things man....
Hey!! no need to say that man. I did not feel anything offensive. Everyone is passionate about what he believes and this is need for a good discussion.
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Anyway, the point remains that all of us find the other persons idiosyncrasies a pain in the ass. I am sure there will be a 100 million people ready to bash Gujjus too.

But we, as Indians, do have to learn to live with all kinds of people, because of India's diverse history and background. And we have learnt.

Similarly, why can't we accept the language too and rid ourselves of the barriers?
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American