eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Work visas

Notices

Work visas Want to discuss about H1B and other work related visa regulations and latest updates?

Old August 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Now Obama administration milking H1B visa fees

If H1B is already out of favour with the applicants, then is the US Govt. making an empty gesture by increasing the fees? Just to score brownie points with the natives? What's the point then?
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Title: deleted 12:21 PM

amritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
This year there already are less than 65K applicants. The biggest deterrent was the inordinate delay in the labour certification for green card which is stopping H1B aspirants who want to come here and settle with a green card.

Those who want to come here and settle want the H1B really because these days if you are with any good Indian IT firm, you get sent to the US anyways on business visa. So if you want to just have the thrill of coming here, working for a while and then go back to once more return in the future, B1 is the way to go through a good Indian IT firm.

There is plenty of talent in the market today so employers are requiring citizenship or green card. In some cases they are doing H1 transfers; I know of only one case where they did H1 in the last six months. This is the reason why there are less H1 applications compared to the quota.

B1 visa does not allow the person to work and earn revenue so you cannot come here on b1 for consulting. You could for a product firm or some other business where you are not billing your customers.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritvani View Post
There is plenty of talent in the market today so employers are requiring citizenship or green card. In some cases they are doing H1 transfers; I know of only one case where they did H1 in the last six months. This is the reason why there are less H1 applications compared to the quota.

B1 visa does not allow the person to work and earn revenue so you cannot come here on b1 for consulting. You could for a product firm or some other business where you are not billing your customers.
You are very correct. But I have been working for a large company where this was happening and it still happens. This is how it works. The foreign consultants are here on business visit. They are paid a per diem allowance and booked into a extended stay suite. Just visit Milpitas and you will find that 9 out of 10 such places are always occupied by folks from HP, HCL, Infosys, Wipro, Mahindra Satyam.

So the per diem allowance is in addition to the salary they get in India. This is the loophole they use.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM

amritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond reputeamritvani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You are very correct. But I have been working for a large company where this was happening and it still happens. This is how it works. The foreign consultants are here on business visit. They are paid a per diem allowance and booked into a extended stay suite. Just visit Milpitas and you will find that 9 out of 10 such places are always occupied by folks from HP, HCL, Infosys, Wipro, Mahindra Satyam.

So the per diem allowance is in addition to the salary they get in India. This is the loophole they use.
I see. I was with consulting before but out of touch for a while now. These companies will figure out something no matter how tight the law is.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

There would some loopholes here too.

Quote:
The bill proposes to raise the fees on H-1B visas (for temporary skilled workers) for companies who have more than 50% of their employees on H-1B visas.

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritvani View Post
The reason companies dont do a H1 transfer is not because of abundant talent but I can tell you from the experiences of my company - H1 transfer these days requires the hiring company to provide a huge amount of paperwork and financial documents and all sorts of things like how many layoffs were done in the past 18 months, etc. Its a very huge uphill task to do the H1B transfer these days. Smaller companies and especially startups dont have the means to do all these paper work jumps despite lawyers available for it.

And what has happened is that with so many H1Bs going back home due to inordinate delays in Green card and the recent downturn, now there is availability of those who were able to get a green card. So now you have a green card holder desi instead of a H1B desi here. This has increased demand because no new H1Bs are coming over and not all companies can go for the outsourcing route. So today if you look in the Bay Area, there are lots of job openings but the salary demands are higher. I was surprised recently when three head hunters cold called me and said that they have positions with salaries which were really much much more than I imagined! Now I cannot say that this was a true measure of the market but then again, jobs are there and are not getting filled up fast.

On the other hand, friends from bigger companies are saying that many desis who are here on green card or even citizens are opting to go back to India as things are much better back home. But then again these are very few compared to the entire workforce. And the big players have increased their offshoring to India much more than before.

So you are correct - talent exists, but at a higher price now. The inflow of H1Bs has almost stopped. Only big players can afford InfoSys, TCS, et-al.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
There would some loopholes here too.
one more thing that is not mentioned is that this is only for companies that have more than 50 employees.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU_HYDERABADI View Post
one more thing that is not mentioned is that this is only for companies that have more than 50 employees.
For less that 50 employees the H1 will probably remain unprocessed.
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I didn't see this but no one is talking about what this fees hike is going to pay for ?
It is paying for securing borders with Mexico. Hire more agents and more equipment. Now for people already in US , isn't this what we want ?

I say go for it .
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Maybe I didn't see this but no one is talking about what this fees hike is going to pay for ?
It is paying for securing borders with Mexico. Hire more agents and more equipment. Now for people already in US , isn't this what we want ?

I say go for it .
To be very selfish I say yes, no more H1Bs. Let us who are here be in constant demand and let us get a chance to make more salary!
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Increasing visa fees will pay $600 million for Border Protection Bill? Sounds quite far-fetched. Somewhere the american consumer will end up paying for it. Raising taxes in anyway contributes to inflation.

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Increasing visa fees will pay $600 million for Border Protection Bill? Sounds quite far-fetched. Somewhere the american consumer will end up paying for it. Raising taxes in anyway contributes to inflation.
Abe chashme waale chingadad...... I dont think the entire bill is funded by visa increase fees.......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Abe chashme waale chingadad...... I dont think the entire bill is funded by visa increase fees.......
Reading the article and hearing about it on the TV, one would get the impression that this is what they intend. No other alternate sources of funding mentioned anywhere. So, whatever the US Govt. adds to the visa fees to fund the bill, it will tax the american consumer.

How will increasing the visa fees affect the flow of professionals to USA? Will the american industry demand less ? Will they pay more to the locals? The demand for foreign professionals arises not only because of the cost, but also because of inadequate availability of local talent.

BTW, what is chingadad?

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
chashme waale chingadad
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
chashme waale chingadad
Suna maine pehli baar.. but I know about "chimgadad"... what is chingadad?

typo ?