eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old March 12th, 2018, 08:47 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ghee in 8 mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
I brought this up with my wife yesterday and she asked me a question that I had no answer to....

what happens if the 8 min ends up 'over-cooking'/burning it? it can end up black....

would that happen in the cooker?
that's why you need supervision in an open dish .. which recipe maker is trying to avoid.
Old March 13th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

does that mean that the ghee would never burn in the cooker?
Old March 13th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I brought this up with my wife yesterday and she asked me a question that I had no answer to....

what happens if the 8 min ends up 'over-cooking'/burning it? it can end up black....

would that happen in the cooker?
K4, first you need to understand the concept or place trust in me. Either will work.
If you want to understand ghee and pressure cooking it, this is what needs to happen. The water content in butter needs to evaporate and leave you with golden ghee. When you have water in butter, you will get back to back whistles anywhere between 5-10 seconds each. You will keep getting these rapid whistles until water in butter is gone. Then the lap time will go up to 25 seconds and counting.... then you switch off the stove. Let pressure settle and your ghee is ready.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

trust you Ashika ji. I did not realise the increasing time gap between whistles indicates the process is done... although I reckon you did mention that, I did not realise its connection to preventing the burning.
Old March 14th, 2018, 09:35 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
trust you Ashika ji. I did not realise the increasing time gap between whistles indicates the process is done... although I reckon you did mention that, I did not realise its connection to preventing the burning.
increasing time gap or decreasing? Once pressure is achieved the cooker needs to vent so often.. if it's unable to, you soon hear a super loud bang, and hopefully if you are not around and if it didn't break into small fragments, a huge gigantic mess to clean up, sometimes even food stuck to the ceiling of the kitchen
Old March 14th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
increasing time gap or decreasing? Once pressure is achieved the cooker needs to vent so often.. if it's unable to, you soon hear a super loud bang, and hopefully if you are not around and if it didn't break into small fragments, a huge gigantic mess to clean up, sometimes even food stuck to the ceiling of the kitchen
what are you talking about? i never experienced anything like this with pressure cookers and I have been around them since I was born.
The max that can happen is the safety valve of the cooker melts.
Old March 14th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
exactly, the increase in time between the whistles indicate the water content is all done and the ghee is ready.
we have been working around cookers for several generations and only recently we are understanding its full potential.
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
The cooker will only vent if it has something to vent though.....
As Ashika says though, heat to be switched off when water has gone and whistles are at longer intervals - meaning cooker is running out of steam to vent....
Old March 15th, 2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
what are you talking about? i never experienced anything like this with pressure cookers and I have been around them since I was born.
The max that can happen is the safety valve of the cooker melts.
You of course have not experienced everything cookers do sometimes blast, so much for not needing supervision.. happened to a cousin of mine, thankfully she was not around.
Old March 15th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
exactly, the increase in time between the whistles indicate the water content is all done and the ghee is ready.
we have been working around cookers for several generations and only recently we are understanding its full potential.
I thought pressure cookers came around in India only may be around late 1960s to 70s.. several generations

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 15th, 2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old March 15th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
You of course have not experienced everything cookers do sometimes blast, so much for not needing supervision.. happened to a cousin of mine, thankfully she was not around.
Sarvi, any kind of kitchen gadget, if not used properly, leads to accidents. Its the exact same thing with even Instant pot, slow cookers, even gas stoves.
Quote:
I thought pressure cookers came around in India only may be around late 1960s to 70s.. several generations
I was referring to cooking by sealing the steam in. Pressure cooker is a gadget. Pressure cooking is a technique.