eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old November 1st, 2002, 08:20 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
bush and quale - comparison by quote

these are quotes by great statesmen of our time.

We compared President Bush's quotes in several categories with his father's former VP (Dan Quayle) to see how he measures up. See for yourself

On reality:
"Somewhere between real and real real."
-- Quayle, disclosing his location to Wall Street Journal reporters.
"I'm gonna talk about the ideal world, Chris. I've read -- I understand reality. If you're asking me as the president, would I understand reality, I do."
-- Bush, talking about abortion to Chris Matthews, host of "Hardball."

On the environment:
"How about if we say when it's wet, it's wet?"
-- Quayle, on the true definition of wetlands.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
-- Bush, discussing fisheries issues in Michigan.
On Central and South America as U.S. territories:
"The U.S. has a vital interest in that area of the country."
-- Quayle, referring to Latin America.
"I've been talking to Vicente Fox, the new president of Mexico . . . I know him . . . to have gas and oil sent to U.S. . . . so we'll not depend on foreign oil."
-- Bush, on U.S. reliance on foreign oil during the first round of presidential debates.
On verbal loops:
"You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be."
-- Quayle, to a group of American Samoans, in '89.
"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
-- Bush, speaking to elementary school students in New Hampshire, where the chosen theme for that month was perseverance.
California crisis analysis:
"When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame."
-- Quayle's in-depth analysis of the '92 Los Angeles riots.
"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power to power the power of generating plants."
-- Bush, explaining the last year's energy crisis about as well as he could.
Umm, are you sure that's a good thing?
"I couldn't help but be impressed by the magnitude of the earthquake."
-- Quayle, on the 1989 Loma Prieta quake.
"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."
-- Bush, on crime (or the importance of target practice).
On edjumacation:
"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children. It's a unique profession and, by golly, I hope when they go into the teaching field that they do have that zeal and they do have that mission and they do believe in teaching our kids and they're not getting into this just as a job or a way to put food on the table."
-- Quayle, expecting a little too much from teachers.
"We want our teachers to be trained so they can meet the obligations; their obligations as teachers. We want them to know how to teach the science of reading. In order to make sure there's not this kind of federal cufflink."
-- Bush, speaking to middle schoolers in Milwaukee.
On the importance of family:
"Don't forget about the importance of the family. It begins with the family. We're not going to redefine the family. Everybody knows the definition of the family. [meaningful pause] A child. [meaningful pause] A mother. [meaningful pause] A father. There are other arrangements of the family, but that is a family and family values."
-- Quayle, on family values.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
-- Bush, on the importance of flying families.
Please stop talking:
"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."
-- Quayle, speaking to the United Negro College Fund.
"I did denounce it. I de -- I denounced it. I denounced interracial dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy . . . bigotry."
-- Bush, on his visit to Bob Jones University, where interracial dating was forbidden at the time.
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
haha Nice ones.