eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

MehtaRahulC will become famous soon enoughMehtaRahulC will become famous soon enough
sug to vBulletin -- let thread starter be mini-admin on his thread

Hi eChatchans,

On a different thread, some eCharchans displayed intenstion that they wud like derail my threads.

So to effectively solve this prob, without fireworks, I just sent a suggestion to vBulletin. I hope this feature comes in next version

-Rahul Mehta

part of the mail I sent to vBulletin.

A suggestion I have is

1)The thread starter can be given control to EXCLUDE some of the members from making posts on a thread

2)The thread starter can ensure that ONLY the members he has selected can write posts on a thread

This is sort-of making thread-starter a mini-administrator of the thread he has started. (Of course, the site-owner shud have means to turn this feature on-off.)

How does this improve a THREAD'S quality
---------------------------------------
Many times, a thread starter wud start a thread with some intenstions and he wants comments RELATED to his post. But other members, sometimes deliberately, jump in and make +irrelevent posts. Soon the thread gets cluttered, and derailed. (This happens very often on forums with political topics.)

With this features, a member can participate without worring about possibility of his thread getting derailed. If the thread starter can avoide the rabble-rousers, the thread's quality will improve.

How does this feature improve FORUM's value
-------------------------------------------
When invidual threads are more consitent and free from disturbance, the forum looks cleaner. Most site-owners wud like more and more participants.

These 2 features will allow vBulletin to provide better forum. I think these features would increase vBulletin's value

Thanking you

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
2)The thread starter can ensure that ONLY the members he has selected can write posts on a thread
Rahul, by putting this condition, you are excluding certain new people from giving their valuable opinion.

Say for example, you have put a thread about juries and you give the right of opinion to vakil sahib, rising sun and e-charcha. There is a member, who until now has not given his opinion on other threads, but could be an expert in law or related matters. By limiting rights to only three people, you are losing invaluable input.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

MehtaRahulC will become famous soon enoughMehtaRahulC will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
Rahul, by putting this condition, you are excluding certain new people from giving their valuable opinion.
I dunno if u have read this thread
http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...?threadid=5495

There are some nazi-type ppl who have resorted to name calling and are SERIOUSLY planning to derail my threads. Any mechanism of defence will have some disadvantages.

In the mail I sent to vBulletin, the feature was described in detail
The thread-starter will have following options
1)He can allow ONLY some selected users

2)He can allow ALL except some specific users whom he disapproves

The problem u stated WILL OCCUR in first case. But not in second.

Also, when the first option is used, when a member who is NOT in the list makes a post, the post will automatically create a PM to the thread starter. And the post will appear after the thread starter allows it. After allowing that post, the thread starter can add that member to the list.

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
Say for example, you have put a thread about juries and you give the right of opinion to vakil sahib, rising sun and e-charcha. There is a member, who until now has not given his opinion on other threads, but could be an expert in law or related matters. By limiting rights to only three people, you are losing invaluable input.
as such I wud allow every user except those who have tried to derail my threads in past. and I wud avoide new users due to fear that they might be those same derailers with just new names.

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 02:17 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you in principal. As a matter of fact I have submitted such suggestion early this year.

I agree that thread starter should have some sort of control over the contents of participants. Not the participants but contents of posts.

I myself have few threads out there which I wanted to steer towards a certain conclusion but derailed due to unhelpful participants.

If it was such a good idea Sutradhar would have implemented it long ago ...
Old November 2nd, 2001, 02:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by tantric_yogi
I agree that thread starter should have some sort of control over the contents of participants. Not the participants but contents of posts.
All wisemen think alike

Quote:
If it was such a good idea Sutradhar would have implemented it long ago ...
I thinnk vBulletin (the software which runs this site) DOES NOT have this feature . so the sutradhar cant provide this feature ...

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 02:44 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by MehtaRahulC

I thinnk vBulletin (the software which runs this site) DOES NOT have this feature . so the sutradhar cant provide this feature ...

-Rahul Mehta
You been underestimating our sutradharji.

He owns vBulletin!

Sutradharji is like Mata holy Ganges river. Anything and everything you ask will be granted upon you. Hath jodkar prarthna karo. Sache dil se karega to Sutradharji echarcha ke upad prakat hoga. Tere ko vardan dega.

Anything you ask with sacha dil will be granted to you just dont ask to become moderator.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 02:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
You been underestimating our sutradharji.
He owns vBulletin!
Aare baap ...
badi BHAI hasti ho aap sutradhaar ... pai logu sutradhar

Quote:
Anything ... you ask will be granted .. Hath jodkar prarthna karo. ...
bass sutradhar, apun ko kuch nahi mangta. ... apun ko dusaro ke thread pe koi control nahi mangta ... bas, apuk ko apun ke thread ka mini-admin-rights mangta .. kya hei BHAI, ki kuch tapori log apun ke thread ko derail karani ki dhamaki deta hai ... saala pahele extortion ka dhamki ne bheja dhuma diyela, ab ye saala derailment ka dhamki.... bas is derailment se bachane ke vaste apun ko yeh thread control mangta

kya bolta he, bhai?

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 05:59 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
This is my opinion.. if MRC, your idea is to be implemented, I guess we moderators will have to have the power to grant/revoke that very control from the thread starters. Reasons are far too many. While it would be just fantastic to have folks like Big G, Super Girl, Sheena, Tantu, lovely, CSCB, desibaba, shahenshah etc etc(we all know who this list is) to let them have control over their threads, there some imbeciles here who need to be restrained just like they do schizophrenics (notice I have not included your name intentionally in the list that included Big G et. al. there MRC, rakhwala and few more who know who they are) .

Alternatively, have four levels of users.. promoted either by the madrators or the admin.. User (who has no control over the thread). Senior User (who has control over his own threads) and super users (like me ) and super super user (sunit). Moderators and admin and senior users can have the power to promote demote people below their user level.. too complicated ..

So even though your requests are reasonable (for others I meant).. you will have to makedo with what you have now..

Last edited by GpeL; November 2nd, 2001 at 06:10 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 06:03 AM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sug to vBulletin -- let thread starter be mini-admin on his thread

Quote:
Originally posted by MehtaRahulC
[B

1)The thread starter can be given control to EXCLUDE some of the members from making posts on a thread

[/b]
now this is outright BS
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Mehta saab, your noble intentions not withstanding, this way you will make sure that the thread started will 'WIN' every debate that he starts.

What's the point in having a discussion when everyone agrees with you. The real fun is when all kinds participate. The flamers and derailers, though irritating, have their own special and irreplacable part to play. It's like a cabaret dance sequence in a serious movie, which, though inconsequential to the movie's storyline, serves the purpose of adding the much needed spice.
Yeah...there are times when the spice gets too much to handle. Well, that's when the Madraters rush in.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Alternatively, have four levels of users.. promoted either by the madrators or the admin.. User ... too complicated ..
not complicated. some 3-4 tables and some flag checking before someone clicks "post message" button. and a few screens where thread-starter can add-remove particpants .... apun bhi software programming kiyela bhai ...

Quote:
... have folks like Big G, Super Girl, Sheena, Tantu, lovely, CSCB, desibaba, shahenshah etc etc(we all know who this list is) to let them have control over their threads ....
That is moderator's (site-owner's) descretion anyway ....

But once that feature is that, the thread-starters wont have to bother moderators anymore ...

-Rahul Mehta
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:31 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Hmmmmm sounds like 'censorship' to me. Whats the matter MRC? Can't handle dissent?

Bhaiyya this is a nukkad. Jahaan garma garam chai aur khabar milthee hain. If you dont like someones views - ignore him. But this is TRUE democracy. People against your thoughts will speak up. By hogging the thread, what do you hope to achieve? Its like giving your most brilliant speech alone in the desert! No one will hear it.

Aur rahi baath vbulletin ki, as someone who owns a site with the similar software, they may (or may not) include your suggestions. But the site owner still decides whether to implement that feature or not. e.g. check the members button. It is a feature offered in the software. But echarcha admin has disabled that feature.

Mark Twain
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
... this way you will make sure that the thread started will 'WIN' every debate that he starts.
This feature CAN NEVER make anyone winner.
And if I ABC is blocking XYZ, XYZ can always start ANOTHER thread and post counter-argument. ABC can win in his thread, but NOT on the forum. Likewise, ABC can ALWAYS win in his own post (others can edit it).

This feature is useful ONLY in case someone keeps making IRRELEVENT posts again and again in a thread.

(as per myself, u might have noticed that I have NEVER tried to clamp down opposition by name calling or by making personal attack or by any other means. In fact, I have never attacked EVEN those who have attacked me)

Quote:
Well, that's when the Madraters rush in.
if eCharcha grows (it is already big enuf), the moderators cant do fire fighting all the time PROMPTLY. Stategically, it is better to delegate some "moderating" power to other people (such as the thread-starter) when a system grows.

Otherwise, the most threads will become cluttered, die pre-mature deaths, and ppl who want serious threads may reduce participation.

-Rahul Mehta

Last edited by MehtaRahulC; November 2nd, 2001 at 07:36 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry MRC.. As usual you have stopped making sense and so please put it to rest. Nothing is going to happen and your ideas of having two parallel threads will reduce echarcha to a cacophony. Echarcha is this way.. take it or leave it.