eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

This question may sound strange and weird, but hear me out.

Over a dinner conversation with a close friend, I was surprised to hear that he would not tell his kids (he has a very young kid) to follow his religion but would ask them to pick up their own and wont mind if they followed some other religion. He himself is not into religion much, nor does he care for visits to temples or following religious norms. Thats all fine, but this view really shocked me. He is a very cool guy and a very close friend, but his line of thought sort of made me take notice.

He says that his kids should have the freedom to think and pick their own religion.

How can a kid growing up in a Hindu/Muslim/Christian household learn about other religions or pick up another? Wont the parents teach somethings like simple prayers, shlokas, God, etc?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

max de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud ofmax de Indiana has much to be proud of
Re: Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha

Over a dinner conversation with a close friend, I was surprised to hear that he would not tell his kids (he has a very young kid) to follow his religion but would ask them to pick up their own and wont mind if they followed some other religion. He himself is not into religion much, nor does he care for visits to temples or following religious norms. Thats all fine, but this view really shocked me. He is a very cool guy and a very close friend, but his line of thought sort of made me take notice.

He says that his kids should have the freedom to think and pick their own religion.

How can a kid growing up in a Hindu/Muslim/Christian household learn about other religions or pick up another? Wont the parents teach somethings like simple prayers, shlokas, God, etc?
kids has opportunity to get benefits from experinces of parents about there religion & others.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

Every religion teaches morals & values. Its the onus on the parents to inculcate these into their child. Every child needs the guidelines from his/her parents about religion, which in turn develops his/her etiquettes.

Parents cannot shun these responsibilities & expect their child to develop morals on their own. Its the moral duty of a parent to inspire his child about their roots & religion, till they grow out of their adolescence.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

yo friend needs a tight slap across his face..
its freakin simple..i am a hindu, mah kid gots ta be hindu..else he recieves 1 firm gpeL by mah hairy leg.

fukk its easy to shoot anythin out tha mouth..i wanna see his reaction when his kid says, dad i m a follow muslim religion..

no offence meant mothafukkaz, its juz that its freakin easy to bark all this BS out tha mouth..

tha otha b1tches i freakin hate r tha 1z who tell me "i have no probs wit gays" arrey bastad wha if yo son turns gay?

benjo kuch bhi boltay haiN..
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
its freakin simple..i am a hindu, mah kid gots ta be hindu..else he recieves 1 firm gpeL by mah hairy leg.

fukk its easy to shoot anythin out tha mouth..i wanna see his reaction when his kid says, dad i m a follow muslim religion..

no offence meant mothafukkaz, its juz that its freakin easy to bark all this BS out tha mouth..

tha otha b1tches i freakin hate r tha 1z who tell me "i have no probs wit gays" arrey bastad wha if yo son turns gay?

My man.....DB.

Choosing an Idol, may be .....but a whole religion? Is he freakin smoking wrong stuff?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I had asked him the same question that what if your son comes and says I want to be Muslim/Christian/Jew?
He calmly replied that kids need to be free of parental pressure. They should be able to think for themselves and choose what they like.

Then I asked what if your son comes to you and says I am gay?
He said that he would accept this as its his son's choice to select that lifestyle.

I was totally dumbfounded and decided to not argue further. I know that he is not kidding as I know him for quite some time now. He is a really cool guy but when it comes to religion or politics his views scare me and would worry even a atheist liberal.

Anyway, I just shared this with you because I was in disbelief over what I heard. My kids will learn and follow my religion. Period.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyway, I just shared this with you because I was in disbelief over what I heard. My kids will learn and follow my religion. Period.
Cha pai...you don't realize but you are becoming a dinosaur...if you child is a citizen of USA and is "brought up" in USA...forget it....once he becomes 18...he might head for the mosque and you can't do a dick about it

Must I remind you that you are in Gaylifornia??

I think the best bet is to tell him that you believe in Hinduism and that he may do whatsoever he wishes once he is 18...but till then....he must follow Hindu principles

Last edited by dhurandhar; May 23rd, 2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had asked him the same question that what if your son comes and says I want to be Muslim/Christian/Jew?
He calmly replied that kids need to be free of parental pressure. They should be able to think for themselves and choose what they like.

He said that he would accept this as its his son's choice to select that lifestyle.

I was totally dumbfounded and decided to not argue further. I know that he is not kidding as I know him for quite some time now. He is a really cool guy but when it comes to religion or politics his views scare me and would worry even a atheist liberal.

cha pai mah whole point is, itz easier said than done..

suppose a son tells his dad 'i m gay'..tha dad will go crazy and shit but finally hez gonna give in coz he luvz his son lyke mad and all he can do is accept it and juz move on..but tha point is,deep inside he aint gon be happy..hez gon be broke..disappointed..

and then there would be some parents who would juz disown tha kid..
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

and then there would be some parents who would juz disown tha kid..
DB....only fathers can disown kids...mothers can't...something to do with child being in womb for 9 months

That begs an interesting derailment....what if science modifies the birth process such that humans could be born from eggs totally outside the mother's womb?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar
DB....only fathers can disown kids...mothers can't...something to do with child being in womb for 9 months
i agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar
That begs an interesting derailment....what if science modifies the birth process such that humans could be born from eggs totally outside the mother's womb?
landYabhai kidhar hai? landYabhai ko bulao
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can relate to him. I too do not believe in religion be it hinduism or islam or any other. I am supposed to be hindu by birth and as a kid enjoyed all the rituals, pooja paaths, etc. that used to happen at home. But as an adolescent I started questioning lot of that stuff. But never rebelled against it and still have not. I put my loved ones, family members as frist and foremost priority and never make them unhappy or hurts their feelings. So now I do get involved in all the religions functions but as an act of "socialization".

I plan to apply same philosophy when it comes to raising my kids. I do not want to force any of religious beliefs onto them. Although I do plan to tell them what's right and what's wrong so that they can decide and judge their actions. But my wife wants to bring them up hindu, which I do not want to interfere into..same reason not wanting to hurt feelings of loved ones. But when they grow up I definitely will not interfere into their choices not at least when it comes to religion and philosophy to live life.

Last edited by tapasvi; May 23rd, 2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I tend to see and follow your anger ... lekin kintu parantu ... I cannot also help but appreciate guy in Sutradarji's topic. He must be an educated, evolved person ... unfortunately living in a world of dreams which does not exist. We all do wish to live in such an ideal society where being a good human being, choice to pick and choose comes ahead of rigidity associated with religion?

Desibaba ... what of families where couple are born in to different religions? What if there is no pressure to convert?
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute

Tantu agree with you except one point of your that is "..living in a world of dreams..". Why do you think he is living in world of dreams? What he wants is solely dependent on how he is and going to handle things. There is no second/3rd party who he needs to depend on to get impossbile out of them?! Same's true for all of us. We can make choices no one is forcing them, wel lexcept in some countries you can not. its unlawful and unconstitutional e.g some of islamic states. But where we come from if you wish you can pick or any religion or NOT pick at all, if YOU want. Its a mental block that one has to jump over himself by simple commonsense.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute

Bhaiyon aur beheno

See, we were never "Taught" to follow any religion.... We follow hinduism or sikhism or any other ism coz we see it being practised at home by our grandparents and parents....

If you have a pooja at ur house every morning, and go to a temple every weekend, and take ur kid along, (s)he will grow with that religion.

So rather than actively teaching/ preaching and shoving it down the kids throat, just follow your religion and have its presence in ur house all the time, and ur kid will grow up with it.

Religion mein aisa to hota nahi that one fine day u sit with ur kid and say "Son there are 12 different religions in the world.... the plus points of each are listed on this paper, and the minus points on the backside of the paper, read it and decide which religion u want to follow"....

On a personal front, I had my daughters Mundan done in the proper hindu way and have some pictures of hindu gods and sikh guru's lying at home (both religions, mixed marriage). Also occasionally, we do play tapes of arti's/ bhajans and sikh gurbani on days like diwali, shivratri, gurupurab etc etc.... so hopefully my kid will grow up with these religious ethics.

Last edited by deshpremi; May 23rd, 2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Senior eCharchan

UMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these partsUMA is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down Re: Will you teach your kids to follow your religion or let them select a religion?

Quote:

What can you really do? Say, you have a daughter who grows up to be a fine woman and falls in love with a muslim guy, wants to marry him and convert to his faith or your son wants to marry a Pakistani girl. What would you do? Perhaps you would kick them out of your home and sever all relationship with them. Right? What else can you do?

But think about it. Are religious affiliations above family? Why can't you follow your faith and let others follow what they want to.