eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Post Mini crisis that I am in...

Hello people of eCharcha,

I had applied for a passport on the 8th of August, through an agent. To my misery I found out that the copy of my birth certificate wasn't original. Darn, I'd lost it, this was a photocopy! So I had to apply for a new birth certificate in the Municipality. The very same day, I paid the required amount and got a receipt. The guy at the counter said I'll get it within 10 days. He was damn confident. Felt kind of relieved to hear that from him. On the 11th day, when I went there, the guy sent me on the 2nd floor and said you'll get it there. So I went immediately. On the 2nd floor I find a guy sitting at his desk with tons of files - all closed, reading a magazine! I asked for my birth certificate, to which he replied, "Aah... when had you applied?" I showed him the receipt. He looked at it very meticulously for a while and said, "10 days... are you kidding me? Nothing happens in 10 days. It takes at least 14/15 days for us to issue it!" Dejected, I came back home! After 15 days, I went there again, this time, thinking whatever happens, if they deny me this time as well, I will create a scene there and shout at the top of my voice - embarrass myself and him. So I went to the 2nd floor. They were shifting the whole office, from the 2nd floor to the 4th floor! I caught the same guy... I asked him for my certificate... He says, "Can't you see we are moving! You will not get it today... come after 3/4 days!" I got extremely pissed. It was very frustrating already that I had to come here so many times, and moreover this was delaying the process of my passport application. So, on the top of my voice, I yelled at him... Told him that because of them my passport application is getting delayed! The guy understood and called me in the evening. I went there again in the evening. To my relief, they had issued my certificate. The bastard wasn't willing to give it to me though. He wanted some bribe. Kept on asking me, "Kuch bole the naa aap, kuch denge karke!" I said, "Kab bola main? Maine aisa kabhi nahi bola... Kya chahiye tumhe? Mere paas abhi 20 rs. hain... woh mujhe ghar jane ke liye chahiye... rickshaw ke liye!" There were also 3 more people with me, so he probably got embarrassed and handed it over to me!

The moment I had that document in my hand, I fled the municipality building and went directly to the agent's office. They had kept my files aside. They added this one to the rest and told me they'll send it for processing the next day! I was happy... Finally, my passport application was done!

Now, after they forward the documents to the passport office, they go to the nearby police station for verification. My documents were sent to Andheri police station. After calling the passport office helpline, they asked me to go there with the photocopies of the documents submitted. So I did. The police said, " We haven't come to your place yet, so there's no point in you coming here. You can come here only after your residential verification is done." They said they'll come within 2 days! The didn't. I went there to inquire about what had happened. They said it'll take another 4 days. I waited, to no avail! I went there for the third time... this time I was a bit assertive. But to no avail again! They didn't pay any heed to my pleas! The fifth time I went there, I'd decided to do whatever it takes to make them come to my place for verification! So I went and said,"When will you guys come? It's been over 2 weeks that I've been waiting for you. The day you say you'll come, I don't go anywhere. Sit at home waiting for you! Because of you, I cannot appear for my TOEFL and G-MAT!" (Which is true!) They probably got emotionally blackmailed and came the same day. But with a bad news. They said my house comes under the jurisdiction of Vile Parle police station and only they can verify you. So they handed me the original documents and asked me to go to Vile Parle police station. So I did. Submitted my documents there and requested... almost pleaded them to come as soon as possible! Which they did... THANKFULLY!

Guess when this happens... just a week back! That's right... what should have been a 8th August application, was a 13th September one. And I was supposed to appear for the TOEFL on the 15th of December... now I cannot because I do not have my damn passport! The next date for it is 13th of January! The whole university application process is delayed!

This is so frustrating... It's like my further education is jinxed!

Last edited by Alibaba; December 2nd, 2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of
Re: Mini crisis that I am in...

Sad to hear all this...There has to be some way to get passport quicker...check it out...go and sit with some senior officer tell the situation and he might issue it within two three days....try.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_to_surf
Sad to hear all this...There has to be some way to get passport quicker...check it out...go and sit with some senior officer tell the situation and he might issue it within two three days....try.
One of my friends tried doing that... ended up payng 5000 rs. as bribe! My dad'll kill me if I do that!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba
One of my friends tried doing that... ended up payng 5000 rs. as bribe! My dad'll kill me if I do that!
No..not bribe...go and talk straight to some senior officer...or how about going to local MLA and asking some pushup? Try karoon bagh...I remember going to Gajanan Kirtikar for some work...they give some link and help.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

There is thing called Tatkal passport. You can get it by paying extra money. But I guess you require to present your case of why you want tatkal. Since you have strong case (and if you are willing to pay extra money), they will grant you Tatkal passport. No bribe should be involved, this is by process.

I agree, the passport process sucks ! Why the hell I should bribe to get my own birth crt and passport

Best luck.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

yaar this one of the first obstacle in your road towards coming to US for education... from now on you will face many more such situations so i suggest you start one mega-thread for all your experiences... i faced something or the other in every step... so just relax and carry on... after passport you have to take TOEFL, GRE, admits, funding, visa, etc etc... you can do it the easy way by just sitting at home and paying some agency for everything or ghiso your joote and get it done... be on ur bike and keep running until you have ur ticket... let me know if you need any advice...
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

@ LTS tai

Hmm... I guess I can do that. I will go to the local 'karyakarta's' office tomorrow itself. Will try to persuade him...

@ Shivsainik

I know... I should have opted for that tatkal scheme! Now I regret it so much... Bloody everything's gotten delayed! Tch... it really sucks big time...

@ sarv_shaktiman

I am joining an agent man. This thing will drive me crazy otherwise! Tomorrow I'm going to my college to get my transcripts. Anyway... I WILL contact you if I need any help. Thanks man.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba

@ Shivsainik

I know... I should have opted for that tatkal scheme! Now I regret it so much... Bloody everything's gotten delayed! Tch... it really sucks big time...
IIRC you can still convert your application to Tatkal. Please check.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mini crisis that I am in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
There is thing called Tatkal passport. You can get it by paying extra money. But I guess you require to present your case of why you want tatkal. Since you have strong case (and if you are willing to pay extra money), they will grant you Tatkal passport. No bribe should be involved, this is by process.

I agree, the passport process sucks ! Why the hell I should bribe to get my own birth crt and passport

Best luck.
Yes, tatkal service helps. I had the same problem for my passport. I applied using Tatkal serivce. But this only helps if your police verification is already done! Once your police verification is done, take the case numbers (and other related numbers from police station - they usually dont give it out but you can plead with them given your situation) and if you can present this info at the Tatkal counter, they will usually issue it the same day. Thats how my case went. Initially the official at the counter said he can issue it only the next day. I showed him my TOEFL registration and he agreed to issue it the same day. No bribe paid anywhere!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSainik
IIRC you can still convert your application to Tatkal. Please check.
yes, regular application can be converted to Tatkal. I applied under regular scheme and changed it to Tatkal after the police verification was complete! Ofcourse, you will need to pay about Rs 1500 more (2003 rates).

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

for police verification take ur dad along to police station and have him give some kharcha-paani to mama... end of story...
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

chadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nicechadhakya is just really nice

I don't know why people go to Agent for passport and Visa it's not going to help even 0.01% I am talking about the processing time.

Govt of India has ease the passport processing thing and there is rule that in normal process govt has to issue the passport within 45 working day or so(check the website for correct duration).

Form is available in website for free and also available in post office, once you submit the form in to regional office or post office(if passport office is not in that city) they will give the tracking no.upfront, then you can check in the net the progress of every day.

after having the tracking number no one can delay has it's passport office responsibility to issue the passport in time check the no of day it's not more than 60 days for sure.

Address verification is done by CID not by the normal police(atleast in new delhi), once your status shows sent for address verification just walk to police station near to your house they will tell you which CID police station does the verification.

for every area there is a police officer in charge once you tell the address they will immediately tell you the name of the police officer and time when he is available on the station.

go and talk to him politely he will get the paper directly from passport office when your statues says it will take max 2 working day to reach it to police station. That guy will automatically tell you when he will come.

he just need to verify that you are living in the same address fro more than a year and will ask document to prove it like electricity bill/phone bill or bank statement on the same bill.

then he need 2 neighbour signature which will guarantee that you live in the same address for atleast more then a year.

Even he tell you when he will send this back to passport office. when your status says verification done just catch postman as it will come by registered post.

Total cost < 500 Rs including bribe, 2002 end rate to get passport.

was done less then 30 days inspite of I moved to bangalore from delhi so there was lil hard work to time the address verification with CID so that I will be in delhi that time.

No agent, no call to passport office just checked the status of tracing no and act smartly.

For your information if you want passport with Tatkal scheme it will be given within 7 working day and police verification doesnt required. In that case DM or there is list of the officer who sign for your address proof, the only thing is your passport will be valid for 1 year and then within a year you have to get it by the normal process which will be valid fro 10 year.

Normally 10th class marksheet solve the problem of birth cirtificate as it has date of birth on it.

in any case you don't have to submitt original copy so even if you had photocopy of you birth cirtificte you could have attested it with gudget officer or notery in court and can submitt it.

Again every information is there in pasport website with max working day required to process it, don't fall in to agent do it by your self even the visa.

just read the instruction carefully and act.

this is my personal let me Know if I can help you more
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

i did the best thing by applying for passport from my birthplace..there were no hassles i got it in 20 days ..dat too abt 8 years ago....there was no residence verification since our village is small n everyone knw each other..besides the local village municipality were too kind..actually its illegal since i stay in mumbai and i have anuther address in my passport....but wtf wants hassles of applying passport frm mumbai....i ned to renew my pp in 2010 and i also need to change my address to mumbai according to the plan...and tht wud be a bit tough since it shud be done only from mumbai...
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

My police verification IS DONE. The police at Vile Parle were very cordial. They understood my plight!

The tatkal scheme is not available at the Bandra-Kurla office. It's only available at the Main office at Worli. I might have to shift the whole thing I guess. I have to problem in paying LEGAL money wherever needed. I will still try to pursue my agent or go to the office directly.

This normal process is supposed to take 45 working days... ON PAPER. But since my documents were misplaced by the police... it took me an extra month or so. Whose fault is that? It's the careless, dysfunctional government authorities! Otherwise this normal application would have also fetched me my passport before November itself! I would have been all set!

Chadhakya... I hired an agent because I thought he'll be doing all this stuff and I will have the whole time to prepare for my exams! But as it turns out, those people just do the application stuff and the rest is up to us! Just the 10th class marksheet is not enough! They also need my 12th Marksheet and my birth certificate. 12th marksheet because apparently there's some prerequisite to apply for a gulf visa, which if you have submitted your 12th marksheet, you are already cleared off! 10th Marksheet is not recognized as a proof of birth. They either need your 10th leaving certificate or your birth certificate. Since I'd submitted my 10th leaving certificate in my junior college, I did not have that option!

Last edited by Alibaba; December 2nd, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Alibaba,
You could have written to me. I would have given you 5000 rupees for your expenses at these 'special government' offices. I would have and will still help you because you are trying honestly to get paperwork fone which has nothing to do with you. The government offices in our 'bapu ka desh' are all like this.

So dont worry. go to agent and ask about TATKAL service for passports.