eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old June 5th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute
what do u guys think of apple joining hands with INTEl

what do u guys think of apple declaring that they are going to use intel chips on their low end macs.
-babu
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what do u guys think of apple joining hands with INTEl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU_HYDERABADI
what do u guys think of apple declaring that they are going to use intel chips on their low end macs.
-babu
I think it's a very logical decision. Steve Jobs seems to want to
capitalize on the success of iPod (or iPod was part of the strategy) to make
Macs more mainstream. Until now, very propriatary hardware and software has
kept prospective customers like me away from Apple.
Apple's decision to base their OS on Unix will mean a lot of applications will be
developed for Macs by Linux enthusiasts. If they open up hardware/software to
the tune similar to Wintel platform, I would certainly make a jump.

Last edited by Ravi; June 5th, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what do u guys think of apple joining hands with INTEl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi
I think it's a very logical decision. Steve Jobs seems to want to
capitalize on the success of iPod (or iPod was part of the strategy) to make
Macs more mainstream. Until now, very propriatary hardware and software has
kept prospective customers like me away from Apple.
Apple's decision to base their OS on Unix will mean a lot of applications will be
developed for Macs by Linux enthusiasts. If they open up hardware/software to
the tune similar to Wintel platform, I would certainly make a jump.
Intel based processors are just for the low end macs , the high end ones are still gona continue with powerpc chips from IBM.i am sure software guys at apple would have hell of a time trying to figure how to make applications run on two platfoms, with as much compatibility as possible.
One of the reasons one paper quoted for this move of apple from IBM to intel was that IBM being reluctant to develop various kinds of powerpc chips(i mean like celeron and pentium series). what i think is that with a volume of about 1-2 million chips a year IBM(thats the number of macs apple ships per year) might have taught its not worth feasible.
A question for all u guys, do u guys think that IBM has lost anything in this deal(now that they are sure that they have a demand for atleast 150million chips for the console market).

p.s: both ps3 and xbox360 use IBM chips(ps2 sold around 80 million units in the last 6 years and xbox around 20 million). ps3 has one IBM chip where as xbox360 has around 3 IBM powerpc chips

-babu
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.

Last edited by BABU_HYDERABADI; June 5th, 2005 at 10:36 PM.