eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question How do you convey that you are not really required?

Okay here is something I want to share but will leave out specifics for obvious reasons.

Lets say there is a team which has many senior members - by senior I mean they are not only experienced but have been in the company for many years.

Now the stage has been reached that a few of the members in the team are not really open to do things in a new way to address the new challenges to satisfy the customer requirements. No, they are not stopping work or refusing to do the work as per new requirements. But there is a constant set of mini battles to get them to agree on anything and get things moving. Management has hired a few fresh team members who are experienced in their earlier jobs. Now the old timers feel that newcomers are here to walk over them. Well, what else can management do? There are problems in existing product, they need to be addresses, top technical management feels that a new approach needs to be taken to solve these issues, old timers feel no their 'new' approach is the way to go. Management cannot let go of old timers as they have the core knowledge built up over the years. The knowledge is being spread rapidly now to new comers, but its still a long way to go.

I am not in the old timers camp who has problems with the management's proposal to do things in a new way. But how does one convey to the old timers that they are really not required. That they should not try and stop new ideas if they cannot contribute to it. That they should leave us folks who are open to anything alone.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you convey that you are not really required?

Pick up any book on change management and you will find a million answers.

Really no cut'n' dried solution. Depends on who you are asking the question on behalf of. meaning WHO is going to convey to the old-timers?

Practically, one solution is to separate out the architecture into business logic and other layers. Tell the old timers they are responsible for the business logic portion of the application. This is where they can use their tribal knowledge most effectively. Later on in the project they can be eased into the other layers as the architecture design will already be complete by then based on a newer approach.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've noticed amongst some old timers... mostly those over 50. They say or their attitude is "I dont want a career at this stage of life, I just need a job to keep me busy until I retire".
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How do you convey that you are not really required?

Sutradarji, don't do it in open forum. Send Viking a private message so he is not offended.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post

Sutradarji, don't do it in open forum. Send Viking a private message so he is not offended.
LOL...
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you are senior among the old timers you let them know their opinions have been heard but this is how its going to be done. Tell them to Deal with it.

If the old timers have more clout than you, you voice your opinion until one of the oldies tells you to shut up and deal with how its going to be done.
Then you deal with it
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by compukid View Post
Well, if you are senior among the old timers you let them know their opinions have been heard but this is how its going to be done. Tell them to Deal with it.

If the old timers have more clout than you, you voice your opinion until one of the oldies tells you to shut up and deal with how its going to be done.
Then you deal with it
I am not senior by way of number of years in the company. But I have some good ideas which I want to propose and implement because I know they will work. But right now to say anything is like first preparing for a huge battle of explaining and dissecting every damn detail on why I am proposing something.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I am not senior by way of number of years in the company. But I have some good ideas which I want to propose and implement because I know they will work. But right now to say anything is like first preparing for a huge battle of explaining and dissecting every damn detail on why I am proposing something.
Instead of telling them they are not required, why not use their experience to your benefit? Explain to them what you plan to propose and ask them how their experience can improve your proposal. Of course, you have to be ready to change your plans but if you can convince old geezer to help with atleast 50% of what you intended to, you have successfully used your opposition to your advantage

Good luck
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Unhappy Re: How do you convey that you are not really required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
Instead of telling them they are not required, why not use their experience to your benefit? Explain to them what you plan to propose and ask them how their experience can improve your proposal. Of course, you have to be ready to change your plans but if you can convince old geezer to help with atleast 50% of what you intended to, you have successfully used your opposition to your advantage

Good luck
Yes I can use that tactic with a couple of them, but there is one really .. how should I say it .... fellow who is so damn 'principled' and quotes 'software design principles' and ... you get the picture ... And unfortunately I have to deal with this person for some part of my proposal.
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes I can use that tactic with a couple of them, but there is one really .. how should I say it .... fellow who is so damn 'principled' and quotes 'software design principles' and ... you get the picture ... And unfortunately I have to deal with this person for some part of my proposal.
I know nothing of software design principles (?) but it appears to an untrained eye that old-timers are comfortably cocooned in a comfort zone. What is lacking here is lack of insight and, agreed clarity of the purposes. Old-timers and fresh members of the team should have in common the ultimate goal or else you are riding a bike with tractor tires.

@Shaktimanbhai.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You let the other experienced geezers convince this guy....he will succumb to peer pressure
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
You let the other experienced geezers convince this guy....he will succumb to peer pressure
you mean pressure from Peer Sayyed Saab?
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post

Hee Hee! I'll enjoy coming here even more in that case.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

a) To get the problem clear, if the old-timer's wealth of experience is useful, then one can't really say that they are not wanted.

b) dhurandhar's advice makes sense.. anyway, 'cut along the grain, not across' is an ages-old wisdom.

You have to find a way to carry the old timers with you. Can you define the type of resistance ? Is it simply inertia? politics? insecurity? Each type will have a different solution.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

We faced a similar problem in my previous company. Letting go of old timers means that they would be loosing experience. So what my company did was to re-organize/re-structure the team completely in a way that they retain the expertize, yet detach them from involving into monitory decisions.
I am positive there should be a way to create such a circumstance. see if you can do this.