eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute
Question SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

A friend living overseas wishes to know ... can we discuss?

Do you?

How often? I think once a year

Do you need a brahmin or pandit to help perform?

Can you on your own at home or does it have to be in a temple?

What are the rituals/prayers associated with Shrad ceremony? Not sure if ceremony isn't the right word ... sorry if so.

It involves offering food and water? What if my friend cant find a brahmin or poor to feed?

Whatever you can share ... thank you.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

No need for a ceremony.

The veda says If you cannot afford a cerimony, go to the nearest river inlet/outlet cry. Put a pinch of til (black one tilam in sanskrit), a tulsi or peepal leaf and if not a piece of grass (darb in sanskrit) in the river. When having food give a handful if you have enough to a bird or cattle (notice.. cattle not cow). If you are too poor to afford even that, let a drop of your tear drip into the river water. (I did not say it.. it was said by yama to bhrigu rishi when he found himself unable to perform shrada of his father due to lack of resources)

That is it.

Besides, keep them reasonably happy and content when they are alive. Marne ke baad unkaa naam kalankit mat karo.. that is enough of a shrad.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:43 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
No need for a ceremony.
The veda says If you cannot afford a cerimony,

... ...

Isn't there one particular day of every year set aside for shrada ceremony?

Put a pinch of til (black one tilam in sanskrit), a tulsi or peepal leaf and if not a piece of grass (darb in sanskrit) in the river.

I came across a list of colored black items to forward to my friend ... til, black daal, chappals and umbrella? I can understand the rest but why til? There won't no holy river in overseas foreign of my friend? Any river will do? Day? Time?

When having food give a handful if you have enough to a bird or cattle
And some fresh water in clean container along with a handful of food? And til? If you explain significance of til ...

perform shrada of his father due to lack of resources)
What resources?

Besides, keep them reasonably happy and content when they are alive.
Interesting and very much valid ... except ... what if someone was not able to? ... could be due to a million personal circumstances? Not everyone's parents live long enough ...

Thanks ...
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

After Ganpati visarjan and a day before navratri is the shrad period.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

The particualar day differs. It is the thithi of the month of the actual event. And if that is not known, on the day of avani... the day on which you change your janeu.. the sacred thread, you do a "Sarvaaatmana tarpan" (called many things like sarva pitra tarpan) after the devatarpan and brahma rishi tarpan. That is all. The belief is all aatmas irrespective of cast creed, or yoni (i.e includes the aatma of dead animals and plants) are given "tarpayami" by every adult brahmin for the peace of their soul. This is usually followed by pinda daanam and samita daanam (dried neem and mango tree stems/twigs that have falled off the tree and not plucked). These ritual supposedly takes care of the aatmas of people who did not leave an offspring behind.. (last of their line sorts).. or none left to remember their souls.

That is what is done. Thithi is calculated different by believers of different veda branch.. ie.. samavedis, rigvedis etc.. then you have different rishi followers and surta varies.. like there are triyarisheya, pancharisheya, saptarisheya, rig/sama/yaju/atharva shakha adhyaai, then there are sootras .. like apasthamba sootra etc.. so calculations vary depending on those variables.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Pelu Pelu

Actually, the mahalay amavasya day which occurs sometime arround/on dushehara day is considered default if the thithi is not known for various reasons.. say one knows an ancestral person/link is dead by way of news or assumption (missing for a sadi.. i.e 7 years and one month) but exact date/time of death is not certain.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Pelu Pelu

2013 it was on 4th oct which was a friday.. start of navaratri I thunk not sure. Pitru paksha started by that calc arround sept 15th through 19th depending on shukla paksha or krishna paksha and other aspects.. again a guesstimate not exactly sure. It depends on the position of swati and the varaha constellation and I don't have exact info on that to give the correct one.

Last edited by GpeL; November 11th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.