eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Literary > Book reviews

Notices

Book reviews Write up a review of a book you read recently, be it fiction, non-fiction or even technical

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute
A Cry in the night

.. by Mary Higgins Clark

borrowed it from a colleague, simply can't put it down - very intriguing book. does anybody out here read Mary Higgins Clark books? if so, whats your opinion of them? I'm loving this one so far..

Its about this 26/27 yr old woman, Jenny, a fine arts graduate who juggles a career at a New York art gallery and being a single parent to her two little girls. Erich Krueger, a renowned artist who is exhibiting his work at the gallery she works at falls for her and within a month of knowing each other she agrees to marry him. Packs up her NYC home and heads off with the two kids to his Minnesota mansion.. has an ex-husband Kevin who signs off on the adoption papers.

Erich has lost his mom Caroline at age 10 in a freak accident, and dad some time later. Wierd things start happening once she gets to Minnesota.. he doesn't let her out of the house, starts getting wierdly possessive and spends a lot of time tucked away in a cabin that nobody's allowed to enter, at an unkown spot around the sprawling farms..

Kevin, a struggling actor, comes to MN to audition for theater group, gets the part. and myseteriously disappears.... Later his body is found in a car, and Jenny's coat by his side..

Who killed Kevin? Why are mysterious things happening around the house? Is Caroline back as a ghost?.. brr.. can't wait to finish this one.

[I'm kinda guessing the plot as it gets predictable page by page. But I might just be wrong...]

Definitely read it if you're a fan of suspense filled novels.
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Cry in the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl707
.. by Mary Higgins Clark

borrowed it from a colleague, simply can't put it down - very intriguing book. does anybody out here read Mary Higgins Clark books? if so, whats your opinion of them? I'm loving this one so far..

Its about this 26/27 yr old woman, Jenny, a fine arts graduate who juggles a career at a New York art gallery and being a single parent to her two little girls. Erich Krueger, a renowned artist who is exhibiting his work at the gallery she works at falls for her and within a month of knowing each other she agrees to marry him. Packs up her NYC home and heads off with the two kids to his Minnesota mansion.. has an ex-husband Kevin who signs off on the adoption papers.

Erich has lost his mom Caroline at age 10 in a freak accident, and dad some time later. Wierd things start happening once she gets to Minnesota.. he doesn't let her out of the house, starts getting wierdly possessive and spends a lot of time tucked away in a cabin that nobody's allowed to enter, at an unkown spot around the sprawling farms..

Kevin, a struggling actor, comes to MN to audition for theater group, gets the part. and myseteriously disappears.... Later his body is found in a car, and Jenny's coat by his side..

Who killed Kevin? Why are mysterious things happening around the house? Is Caroline back as a ghost?.. brr.. can't wait to finish this one.

[I'm kinda guessing the plot as it gets predictable page by page. But I might just be wrong...]

Definitely read it if you're a fan of suspense filled novels.
Will Read... thanks for the heads up..

BTW, I've read "Nighttime is My time" by Mary Higgins Clark but to tell you frankly, was not very impressed.. Maybe this one will change my opinion...
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

lawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond reputelawgirl707 has a reputation beyond repute

well, this supposed review might just come back to bite me... but i'll post once i'm done with the book and give you a complete opinion. anyhow no harm reading it i guess..
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

I have read No PLace like Home ..... Which was good. Read that . I have it in case you want to borrow it.

Quote:
For most people “home” is where the heart is. Not so in this chilling new page-turner in which Mary Higgins Clark once again demonstrates why she reigns supreme….

At the tender age of 10, Liza Barton killed her mother. It was an accident; her intention was to shoot her stepfather, a violent abuser, who tried to convince the authorities she deliberately committed matricide. He even told his “story” to the tabloids, who compared her to ax-wielding murderess, Lizzie Borden, the similarity in their names too tempting to ignore. After the courts ruled the death accidental, Liza was adopted by a kind couple who changed her name to Celia in the hope of erasing her past. And at 28, married to an adoring older man, it seemed she had. Upon his deathbed, she promised to protect their young son by never revealing what she’d done. When, three years later, Celia finds true love with Alex Nolan, she keeps her vow until, as a surprise, he moves them into her childhood home where, painted on the lawn for all the world to see, are the words BEWARE—LITTLE LIZZIE’S PLACE.

All the horror comes rushing back, especially when the realtor who sold Alex the house is found dead, and again the newspapers are screaming for Celia’s head. But she knows who’s responsible. While proclaiming her innocence, Celia will have to defend her life—and that of her son—from the psychopath who’s never forgotten what she once tried to do….
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: A Cry in the night

I have read one of her novels long long ago. Then I read a few more by women authors from her genre. One I remember is Patricia Cornwell whose novels seem to inspire the CSI shows on CBS TV.

One thing I can say about the authors like Mary Higgins Clark, Iris Johannsen , et-al - They write too much of a 'chick flick' kind of novel. Its gets boring and hence I stopped reading it. Especially Iris Johansen - uggh... its really boring.

I prefer male authors who dont waste time on pages and pages of 'how she was feeling and how her past life was fucked up'. I mean come on. Move it. Tell us the suspense, thrill us with the story.

For me, the only good 'chick flick' writer is Sidney Sheldon where the woman is the protagonist, the heroine, the central focus of the novel.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha

For me, the only good 'chick flick' writer is Sidney Sheldon where the woman is the protagonist, the heroine, the central focus of the novel.
But sidbey Sheldon is a guy ... Right ?
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:36 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
But sidbey Sheldon is a guy ... Right ?
yes I know. What I meant is that the only author I like, who writes with a woman as the central character in a novel is Sidney Sheldon.

So you might call him a 'chick flick' kind of writer as he has a woman as the central character.
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM
The One and Only.

brahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud of

The master of thrill and suspense was Robert Ludlum. I have yet to find his replacement, Dan Brown is quite good but nowhere near the maestro.

For Fantasy and Horror the King is the King. I mean none other than Stephen King.

For desi real stories, Munshi Prem Chand. BTW, I have several stories of Munshi Prem Chand in Hindi (MS Word Documents). If someone wants, please let me know.
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM
The One and Only.

brahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud ofbrahmchari has much to be proud of

Download some Hindi Ebooks from here including those of Prem Chand.

http://mobilelibrary.cdacnoida.com/book.html
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

I had been to the library last night, but I just higgins couldn't remember this author's name. Maybe next time... got a ludlumish book this time that I started last night.

One other author that matches Ludlum's supremacy is Frederick Forsyth. They both have so different styles but similar thrills. And another author that I like is Jeffrey Archer, though he is jara hat ke.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
honest lawyer ;-)

Well, finished reading it yesterday.. and i had said before, i kinda sorta predicted the ending in general, there were a bunch of surprises in there too. quite freakish and partly predictable if you ask me, but well worth a read. 7 out of 10
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Lov tai and other echans,

If you like simple but suspenseful stories, check out "Gods in Alabama" by Joshilyn Jackson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...lance&n=283155)

It has a good flowing story with a simple suspense that blows you out. I read this story over a few days but as I was reaching the end could not keep the book down. The final read was up to 3 a.m. in the night on a working day

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless