eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:42 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent help! Basundi isn't getting thicker!

Nope much easier..

See a induction works by agitating the molecules of the liquid/substance (liquid part even if it is a solid food you are cooking).. so this is how to do it.

Put the milk in a container and shake it hard.. very very very very hard and fast.. you are agitating the molicules.. so.. same same no..

If you are too tired, another plan works.. hold the milk in one hand and put your little finger in the electric socket.. if it does not go.. take a spoon or something metalic.. hold one end and insert the other one in the outlet.. it will shake you no problems.. (and the milk will get shaken too right!!)

There is another advantage.. your hubby will exclaim.. you are so HOT OUCH!!!! when he touches you. (but that is a desireable side effect).
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:44 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Boiling ... some long spoon or spatula placed over the top stops milk from boiling over and out. How does it work? No, no miracles. Spatula bursts the balloons and bubbles ... serious.

I am two late is obvious. Rakhiji ... a slice or two of dried white bread works wonders in soaking up extra fluids or to add to the thickness and the taste ... I'd say almost 100% of the sweets made in India of milk contain bread crumbs to save on the cost. You don't want to know stuff that goes into the food served in street and restaurants.

During 3 summer holidays, a friend of mine read in newspaper of a guy who worked for a cooking oil supplier ( factory behind a lane in Abdul Rahman Street in Mumbai ... ) to the street vendors and many restaurants ... many of them dosa places frequented by pure-veg and Jains ... eaters loved the aroma and special taste missing in food at home. My friend won't tell me what went into that oil ... but he told me this ... there is a huge population in China who earn their living going down in the city's sewerage pipes to collect slimy stuff floating over the water filled with (edited) ... they sell it to the (cottage industry) places where slimy sludge is converted into cooking oil and sold to the street vendors and some restaurants ... serious.

edit/add ... members and the moderators ... refer to me anyone or if one of you wish to reduce weight ... tell me your favorite Indian street or restaurant food and I will tell you stuff that goes into it. I won't charge you guys a paissa. No consultation fee and no waiting for next appointment date. Normally my fees are in 20 minute slots but I offer free to the members of this site.

By the way ... they make and sell fake eggs and rice in China ... serious ... fake eggs! ... filled with shitty chemicals. Cheap to make means more profits. One will have to be shud kangressi to believe that no such things happen in Jawahralal Nehru's India.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com

Last edited by badriprasad; January 31st, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Bread crumbs/ slices in Basundi? Wouldn't that change taste though Badriji?
Then you are going to remove before serving? Something doesn't sound right.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Bread crumbs/ slices in Basundi? Wouldn't that change taste though Badriji?
Then you are going to remove before serving? Something doesn't sound right.
No remove ... basundi/mawa/barfee sold in Indian sweet shops is part milk and part bread. And if bread is too expensive, real cheap places add sheets of ink blotting paper. Blotting paper tastes great once it has absorbed cheap flavored syrup (cause syrup is cheaper than sugar) and milk fat. Serious.

Rakhiji, did you ever buy yogurt from corner shop back home ... one set in clay pots? Or if you ever had thick creamy lassi with a thick delicious layer of milk fat thrown over it? That thick layer is several sheets of precisely cut blotting paper placed over yogurt before it starts to set.

Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Blotting paper yes.. the most hygenic alternative but NOT the way badri pai adovocates.

This is how it is done..

Blotting paper can be used to remove water from anything and even be regulated.. no kidding..

Blotting paper is sadwiched between two sieves and then placed in the intended liquid.. you immerse it in that liquid and take it out in a few minutes.. it will absorb water content from the solution (and some of the solutes too!!) but the "excess" water part gets removed.. do it two or three times, your liquids viscosity will visibly improve

How to regulate it? There is a very simple method. For example you will use ghee with basundi no.. Then do this.. heat ghee.. when it melts pour/apply it carefully on the blotting paper kept on the sieve.. let it cool a bit. now heat milk.. and dip this paper in the milk.. now ghee being lighter than 'water' will float off of the bloating paper and water will take its place.. let it be in that liquid for a bit of time till you like the level of thickening and remove.

experienced halwaais know when to remove this paper exactly and so they do not have to constantly watch and scratch our heads to figure out when to remove.. and so for them it is rather a matter of routine.

NEVER HEAT/BOIL when the blotting paper is in the liquid.

Ofcourse eating it is no health hazard. it is bamboo bark for christs sakes and don't you eat bamboo shoots at a chinese restaurant?

In either cases, discard the blotting paper.. or make halwaa of it and feed to your house hold 'cattle'..

You got your cake and ate it too!!!
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Please! Help me out. I heated 1 liter of milk. When it reduced to half, I added sugar and dry fruits mix and some saffron. It's been boiling for more than 20 mins after it became half but it's not getting any thicker. What should I do?
Every member in my family back home are asleep. I can't call them
I think I can help. Here's what you need to do. Lower the gas right away. Keep stirring the mix. It usually takes about 40-45 mins to get thicker.

Old January 16th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

What I am surprised about is, why hasn't somebody asked the obvious question Why does she want Basundi thicker? I think Basundi looks good thinner only. Btw, who tf is Basundi

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:29 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

almost a year since Rakhi started cooking basundi.. should be thick by now. If not I would have given up.
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
almost a year since Rakhi started cooking basundi.. should be thick by now. If not I would have given up.
Ab tak doodh ka doodh aur pani ka pani ho gaya hoga.

Old January 20th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

reminds of a recipe someone posted here. Mishti dhoi. It was basically sweetened yogurt (i didnt know this then). He omitted the part where we have to bring the milk to room temperature or to lukewarm. I added yogurt in hot milk. It never became yogurt.

I am perfect in making Basundi now! Get rave reviews whenever I make it now.
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:58 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I am perfect in making Basundi now! Get rave reviews whenever I make it now.
Post the recipe' .. you never did. Craving something sweet, will try it out.
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:06 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Post the recipe' .. you never did. Craving something sweet, will try it out.
Same like what Rakhi posted in post #1 of this thread. It just needed to stay on the stove a little longer.
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:03 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Same like what Rakhi posted in post #1 of this thread. It just needed to stay on the stove a little longer.
Does it feel weird posting in same thread with different name ? Is it like getting married to same guy using a different name ?
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
so basundi is just a fancy southie name for badam milk? Why take all this trouble boil the milk a few times in the micro and add badam milk powder you get as desi store, it even has saffron.
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Does it feel weird posting in same thread with different name ? Is it like getting married to same guy using a different name ?
Whatever gave you the idea that her and I are the same?
Quote:
so basundi is just a fancy southie name for badam milk? Why take all this trouble boil the milk a few times in the micro and add badam milk powder you get as desi store, it even has saffron.
I thought basundi was North Indian
Its not in milk consistency sarvi. Its thick, not as much as condensed milk but its sure thicker than the regular whole milk.