eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,467
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Sai Baba Centenary

Original Sai Baba, Sai Baba of Shirdi died on October 15, 1918, exactly 100 years back. Since then, he has transformed into a God increasingly worshipped. I have been to Shirdi quite a few times. Though it might be too crowded in this centenary celebrations. The centenary as per Hindu Calendar is on Vijayadashami, which falls on October 18.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 15th, 2018, 05:09 PM
HarHarMahaDev HarHarMahaDev is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MILKY WAY
Posts: 3,251
HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

I think Sai Baba devotees have gone up exponentially over the past couple of decades. Before that Sai Baba was worshipped only by fringe people, like cult worshippers.

As a kid, I was first introduced to Sai Baba by Akbar. He was a qawwali singer, who prayed so hard that the twinkle in the diyas floated over to his mother, bringing back her eye sight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:46 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,467
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
As a kid, I was first introduced to Sai Baba by Akbar. He was a qawwali singer, who prayed so hard that the twinkle in the diyas floated over to his mother, bringing back her eye sight.
That was my introduction too
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM
dirty's Avatar
dirty dirty is offline
Super eCharchan
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SoCal USA
Posts: 11,406
dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

And all stupid Baba Bhakts are going crazy ..... We have a group here. I sued to go but they are becoming fanatic and I can't do this anymore.

How can they forget that one thing Sai Baba asked for all his life was do not make me into God....... It's literally OMG story.......
__________________
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,713
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
I think Sai Baba devotees have gone up exponentially over the past couple of decades. Before that Sai Baba was worshipped only by fringe people, like cult worshippers.

As a kid, I was first introduced to Sai Baba by Akbar. He was a qawwali singer, who prayed so hard that the twinkle in the diyas floated over to his mother, bringing back her eye sight.
that guy.... he followed multi religion philosophy and had a hindu and a christian brother?
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
HarHarMahaDev HarHarMahaDev is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MILKY WAY
Posts: 3,251
HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
that guy.... he followed multi religion philosophy and had a hindu and a christian brother?
Yes. You know him? One brother was a cop and other was a street thug. Their mother's name was Ma.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Today, 02:48 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,713
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
Yes. You know him? One brother was a cop and other was a street thug. Their mother's name was Ma.
I knew Sai baba before I knew Akbar. I liked how Akbar saved his future father in law from the fire and he happened to be Sai bhakt as well.... I mean look at the breadth of this guy, gutsy fire saves one day, miracles another day - who wouldnt know him! I hear the street thug brother recently celebrated his old age birthday. time flies... I was sad when the cop brother passed away. Had recently come to know about him marrying a lady who already had a son, who himself became a cop later in life and stood up for all the poor people with the goggles on his back collar..
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Today, 04:59 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,467
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
And all stupid Baba Bhakts are going crazy ..... We have a group here. I sued to go but they are becoming fanatic and I can't do this anymore.

How can they forget that one thing Sai Baba asked for all his life was do not make me into God....... It's literally OMG story.......
There are all sorts of devotees. During his lifetime, even though Baba said "do not worship me", many worshipped him and he allowed them to do all the Rituals. Now, even though there is a chance he was peaceful, many of his followers in his lifetime worshipped him and followed orthodox practices like not eating food with peacefuls.

Now after that AAA Sai Baba Song by Rishi Kapoor, i thought he was a peaceful saint. Till in late 90s i accompanied someone to a Sai Baba temple and found him being worhipped in a Hindu Fashion. This raised a lot of curiosity and i started reading his 'Charita' to find out more.
Curiosity finally culminated in devotion.
BTW, not sure when it is in India, but as per our local Mandir, it is Vijayadashmi tomorrow (Oct 18). Thats when the centenary will be really celebrated. Any news about crowds in Shirdi.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Today, 05:26 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,713
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There are all sorts of devotees. During his lifetime, even though Baba said "do not worship me", many worshipped him and he allowed them to do all the Rituals. Now, even though there is a chance he was peaceful, many of his followers in his lifetime worshipped him and followed orthodox practices like not eating food with peacefuls.

Now after that AAA Sai Baba Song by Rishi Kapoor, i thought he was a peaceful saint. Till in late 90s i accompanied someone to a Sai Baba temple and found him being worhipped in a Hindu Fashion. This raised a lot of curiosity and i started reading his 'Charita' to find out more.
Curiosity finally culminated in devotion.
so, was he originally peaceful? I dont think any material actually refers to his original religion.
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Today, 07:20 AM
sarv_shaktimaan's Avatar
sarv_shaktimaan sarv_shaktimaan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: satva aasmaan
Posts: 15,988
sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

I don't go often to temples now, I realized buggers are just fulfilling their egos and power hunger by being trustees.. We have this Sai Baba temple in my city, mostly telugu crowd, few others also go. Recently, the board folks fought and half the group split to make a new temple citing need for a bigger better temple to accommodate growing hindu population.. some pockets in the city have highest number of desis in the state.

I too doubt Sai Baba's God status.. I heard of a few small temples in places I've lived in India, but first time seeing Sai Baba as main deity and Ganesh, Shiva, Hanuman placed on the side as smaller Gods. I have donated food and cash to this temple, but I feel it's going to people who are not short of money in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Today, 08:19 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,467
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
so, was he originally peaceful? I dont think any material actually refers to his original religion.
He never disclosed his original religion. Theory is he was a Hindu brought up by a Sufi saint and then trained under a Hindu Guru.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Today, 08:22 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,467
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I don't go often to temples now, I realized buggers are just fulfilling their egos and power hunger by being trustees.. We have this Sai Baba temple in my city, mostly telugu crowd, few others also go. Recently, the board folks fought and half the group split to make a new temple citing need for a bigger better temple to accommodate growing hindu population.. some pockets in the city have highest number of desis in the state.

I too doubt Sai Baba's God status.. I heard of a few small temples in places I've lived in India, but first time seeing Sai Baba as main deity and Ganesh, Shiva, Hanuman placed on the side as smaller Gods. I have donated food and cash to this temple, but I feel it's going to people who are not short of money in any way.
During his lifetime he always encouraged his devotees or followers to stick to the gods they worshipped.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Today, 09:18 AM
Sane Less's Avatar
Sane Less Sane Less is offline
Dead On Arrival is back
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,436
Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sai Baba Centenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
That was my introduction too
I first came to know of him through Shotgun Sinha...
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sai baba, shirdi


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sathya Sai Baba......... Tsunami SoapBox 23 September 24th, 2015 10:24 AM
Shirdi Sai Baba badriprasad Religion 35 September 26th, 2013 11:29 PM
Sai Baba and Rohilla PeaceSeeker Crowning Glory 72 October 23rd, 2011 12:50 PM
Shirdi Sai Baba! tantric_yogi Religion 23 September 15th, 2005 07:15 PM
HATHYAR - apna baba...mera baba... DesiBaba Films 0 September 5th, 2003 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.