eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by konath
Sir Viking,

what role is religion playing anyway, other than dividing people. better if there were no religion in the first place, but when religion(christianity) is there and is giving people something rather than them living in abject poverty it is better that way. look at communal riots-in india im referring to., i am not bothered about the outside world,they are always between hindus and muslims, christians have always been peace loving and forgiving whenever they have been attacked here. I think we have to learn something from them from this.

If u don't believe, look at the case of Kerala and the Northeastern states,how better off they are than the rest of the country.have they lost their culture?you don't lose your culture by converting to another religion. rather what i have observed is that they have adopted some of our culture into their rituals I have Muslim and Christian friends too.Only thing that is required is to live and let live which is practised by Christianity.

In the end its all about sharing,loving and caring for our brothers and sisters.Forget about foreigners and our boastfulness to teach them lessons. We need to change ourselves first. Then only can we make a difference.

Yours humbly,
konath
I think this post is wrong on many counts. Christianity is not such a peaceful religion. Every religion will be peaceful when they are a minority in an area. Just because the Hindus in Afghanistan have never caused any problems, does this mean that Hinduism is a peaceful religion? Christianity has been the biggest cause of strife in the world till now. Islam is just taking over this role in the last few decades, but for centuries, people have been killed in the name of christianity.

North Eastern States are not well off....And they are surely not peace loving. They have murdered all the rest of the Hindi speaking and hindu settlers there.
Also conversion does not change culture is not completely true. We may maintain some of our practices and way of life, but many change and we lose our cultural identity. Ask the South Americans about this....If you read history, your heart will cry at what the Europeans did all over the world in the name of christianity.

And last but not the least, you say "live and let live...". Did you read the articles posted here?
If you are doing god's work and practicing live and let live..then why are the missionaries only helping the tsunami victims who are converting to christianity. Free will conversion can never be called "free will" if it is done under duress. This is almost always the case in India.

I say put up a deadline for all missionaries to get out of the country and after that....shoot at sight.....I dislike these people with a vengence...these snobbish bas***** who think only what they believe is right and others are all wrong.
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Junior eCharchan

konath is on a distinguished road
I think you have generalised religion to some extent by what you are saying. Religion seems to be the root cause of some of our problems.I always feel that we should do away with religion. Its doing nothing good for us.It is only instrumental in raising debates on this site and others. Every religion has its own flaws.

Coming to what you said about religion.For that matter every religion PREACHES peace,joy and love. Only thing is that we as human beings interpret it to our requirements-mind you some of them don't believe in it. Also, every religion need not be peaceful if they are a minority.There are fundamentalists within them who exploit loopholes to their advantage.

I disagree with some of you statements "Christianity has been the biggest cause of strife in the world till now. Islam is just taking over this role in the last few decades, but for centuries, people have been killed in the name of christianity." Why do yo want to associate religion to terror. Its rather people to terror. To my understanding, i think that it is the fundamentalists and people who have lost their loved ones in some quarrel with certain other groups and some evil-minded ppl who resort to such activities. For that matter you cannot disprove such occurrences in Hinduism too.What I mean to say is that every religion has these kind of people.But then human race would be incomplete without them.

Then you talk something about losing our cultural identity? In fact our cultural identity is being changed by the incoming western trends. We are not able to guard our cultural traditions from these Westerners, then how come by changing to Christianity, a different religion, our Hindu brethren are losing their cultural identity when in reality, Christianity in India has been gradually adopting Indian traditional methods in their marriages and other ceremonies, which i think is quite good. We are not losing our identity, we are preserving it.

Europeans are a different lot. You cannot compare Christianity to them. Remember what Gandhi ji said in this context" I like Christ but I dislike Christians". We know pretty well in what context he said that. Similar is the case with Europeans, after all, which true and patriotic Indian can forget the troubles we had to undergo for our liberation from them?That is why, in an Indian context, you cannot compare Christianity and the West. Their culture mixed with Christianity. Are we like them?

Christianity is a proselytising religion, it spreads through conversion.I remember what my Christian friend once told me in this context-Jesus said"Whatever good you do...do it in my name!" Thats what the missionaries are doing. Their religion prompts them to do whatever good they are doing in Christ's name.I had a lesson in English by Kushwant Singh on Mother Teresa where she said something like this " I see Jesus in every leper I come across!" That made her to do good.

I doubt the truth in the story about missionaries helping only those who are converting. There may have been very few instances where there would have been such conversions and i feel that such kind of proselytisation is wrong. True, they may have distributed pamphlets-but is that forceful conversion?It is upto the families to decide to convert or not.How can people know about other religions without someone telling them about it-or even seeing people practising it-especially in case of Christianity?

I don't think this debate will take us anywhere!
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Sir Viking,

If the poor people think that with a little bit of money they are going to be better off than they were previously and if someone is ready to give them education,better health care fa then atleast let them live! Any way in the present day there is no such thing as humanity!is there? i seriously doubt.

what role is religion playing anyway, other than dividing people. better if there were no religion in the first place, but when religion(christianity) is there and is giving people something rather than them living in abject poverty it is better that way. look at communal riots-in india im referring to., i am not bothered about the outside world,they are always between hindus and muslims, christians have always been peace loving and forgiving whenever they have been attacked here. I think we have to learn something from them from this.

If u don't believe, look at the case of Kerala and the Northeastern states,how better off they are than the rest of the country.have they lost their culture?you don't lose your culture by converting to another religion. rather what i have observed is that they have adopted some of our culture into their rituals I have Muslim and Christian friends too.Only thing that is required is to live and let live which is practised by Christianity.

In the end its all about sharing,loving and caring for our brothers and sisters.Forget about foreigners and our boastfulness to teach them lessons. We need to change ourselves first. Then only can we make a difference.

Yours humbly,
konath
Hounarable Sir Konath,

If the poor can be converted using money to Christianity then I guess it's the money that lures them and not your God's love. If you can preach your religion without degrading another religion I would have stopped by to appreciate this.

I would rather that you ponder over the WAR's and not just riots between the Crusaders and the Jehadi's Christianity was stopped only because the Islamic Ottoman empire of Turkey stopped those fanatic Christian hooligans in their tracks.

If you concentrate on the north east. Tripura has been the most peaceful is it because they are Hindu? Nagaland was converted by a guy called Rev.Scott and ever since then they have stopped even so much as calling themselves Indian!

Even today most people converted long ago by the Portuguese in Goa would rather call themselves Portuguese than Indian.

If Christians were peace loving then we would not have a George Bush ! Or rather after 9/11 we would have America collectively say 'Lord forgive them for they know not what they do!

I agree that we need to change ourselves, we should do that by first filling ourselves up with self respect rther than feeling that we are wrong and we need self correction, this I feel arises due to a deep rooted inferiority complex, as is displayed from your post.

P.S: All of the Rs.300 crore for Tsunami victims in the PM's relief fund was incidentally NOT from the vatican or any Christian fund.

Most Humbly Yours,

viking

Last edited by viking; January 27th, 2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Then you talk something about losing our cultural identity? In fact our cultural identity is being changed by the incoming western trends. We are not able to guard our cultural traditions from these Westerners, then how come by changing to Christianity, a different religion, our Hindu brethren are losing their cultural identity when in reality, Christianity in India has been gradually adopting Indian traditional methods in their marriages and other ceremonies, which i think is quite good. We are not losing our identity, we are preserving it.

They converted from Hinduism to Christianity only because of the so called bad aspects of Hinduism mailnly caste divisions. After converting to the new religion they not only practice their original customs but also carry their caste along with them. So we have the case of Dalit christians. This being the case why have a different religion?

My point is you cannot help but have your traditions, it's not possible to lose them. Only in Goa we see that the Portugues forced these Christians from having similar traditions like Hindus. So they even speak Portuguese at home.
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Christian Missionaries Attempt A Rich Harvest, Using Tsunami Excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by konath View Post
I think you have generalised religion to some extent by what you are saying. Religion seems to be the root cause of some of our problems.I always feel that we should do away with religion. Its doing nothing good for us.It is only instrumental in raising debates on this site and others. Every religion has its own flaws.

Coming to what you said about religion.For that matter every religion PREACHES peace,joy and love. Only thing is that we as human beings interpret it to our requirements-mind you some of them don't believe in it. Also, every religion need not be peaceful if they are a minority.There are fundamentalists within them who exploit loopholes to their advantage.

I disagree with some of you statements "Christianity has been the biggest cause of strife in the world till now. Islam is just taking over this role in the last few decades, but for centuries, people have been killed in the name of christianity." Why do yo want to associate religion to terror. Its rather people to terror. To my understanding, i think that it is the fundamentalists and people who have lost their loved ones in some quarrel with certain other groups and some evil-minded ppl who resort to such activities. For that matter you cannot disprove such occurrences in Hinduism too.What I mean to say is that every religion has these kind of people.But then human race would be incomplete without them.

Europeans are a different lot. You cannot compare Christianity to them. Remember what Gandhi ji said in this context" I like Christ but I dislike Christians". We know pretty well in what context he said that. Similar is the case with Europeans, after all, which true and patriotic Indian can forget the troubles we had to undergo for our liberation from them?That is why, in an Indian context, you cannot compare Christianity and the West. Their culture mixed with Christianity. Are we like them?

Christianity is a proselytising religion, it spreads through conversion.I remember what my Christian friend once told me in this context-Jesus said"Whatever good you do...do it in my name!" Thats what the missionaries are doing. Their religion prompts them to do whatever good they are doing in Christ's name.I had a lesson in English by Kushwant Singh on Mother Teresa where she said something like this " I see Jesus in every leper I come across!" That made her to do good.

I doubt the truth in the story about missionaries helping only those who are converting. There may have been very few instances where there would have been such conversions and i feel that such kind of proselytisation is wrong. True, they may have distributed pamphlets-but is that forceful conversion?It is upto the families to decide to convert or not.How can people know about other religions without someone telling them about it-or even seeing people practising it-especially in case of Christianity?

I don't think this debate will take us anywhere!
Happy Birthday Konath Pai. Any appearance after the 3 posts?????