eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:02 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have a propensity for non-desk jobs?

Say you have a talent which you think is out of the ordinary, will you pursue it leaving behind all your education?

I've been noticing a growing trend among Indian youth wanting to do more of non-desk jobs. Some want to pursue a writing career in Mumbai, yet they are very critical of what Chetan Bhagat has achieved. Others I came across wanting to do event management or start a music band after completing a degree in Engineering or MBA.

Does it have to do with Bollywood/Hollywood movies, other travel/reality shows which showcase a life of being a vagabond and a cool one at that? Things certainly seem easier on a big screen, you are a day trader on wall street wanting to be a scuba diver/marine biologist.
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you have a propensity for non-desk jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Say you have a talent which you think is out of the ordinary, will you pursue it leaving behind all your education?

I've been noticing a growing trend among Indian youth wanting to do more of non-desk jobs. Some want to pursue a writing career in Mumbai, yet they are very critical of what Chetan Bhagat has achieved. Others I came across wanting to do event management or start a music band after completing a degree in Engineering or MBA.

Does it have to do with Bollywood/Hollywood movies, other travel/reality shows which showcase a life of being a vagabond and a cool one at that? Things certainly seem easier on a big screen, you are a day trader on wall street wanting to be a scuba diver/marine biologist.
When I was young, I wanted to be a poet and have a career in bollywood.

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot has to do with real opportunities the younger generation has these days. Back in my parents days, being a teacher or a doctor or a lawyer was THE thing to do. Rest of the professions are not for everyone or , they are not accessible. These days its not like that; you can actually make a living by being an author, musician, event manager etc.
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:47 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

In 2013 summer I went to see the movie 'Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani' with a few friends.. none of us liked the crappy movie, but one friend's comment stuck with me. Pencho sab ko roadie ban na hai.. to saala coding kaun karega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas
Wanting to do something is different than having a plan B and some background in that field. I wanted to be a cricket bowler but reality soon sunk in. I was talking more about people entering the profession and realizing they acted on a whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I think a lot has to do with real opportunities the younger generation has these days. Back in my parents days, being a teacher or a doctor or a lawyer was THE thing to do. Rest of the professions are not for everyone or , they are not accessible. These days its not like that; you can actually make a living by being an author, musician, event manager etc.
Authors and musicians still not viable full time professions for many. You're not assured of a paycheck at the end of the month. Event Manager can be a good job with a company.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 12th, 2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Authors and musicians still not viable full time professions for many. You're not assured of a paycheck at the end of the month. Event Manager can be a good job with a company.
I noticed that you can get away with these seasonal/ part time jobs if the other person (spouse) has a regular income coming. Like, you need the financial security of being able to pay the mortgage, bills, fees etc every month. Then you can choose to get into professions where income inst guaranteed at the end of the month.
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I noticed that you can get away with these seasonal/ part time jobs if the other person (spouse) has a regular income coming. Like, you need the financial security of being able to pay the mortgage, bills, fees etc every month. Then you can choose to get into professions where income inst guaranteed at the end of the month.
That's exactly where I knew this would head.. to say rather bluntly, one needs another person to sacrifice for you choosing an unreliable career.

Most authors have not had big time success until their twilight years.. same with painters, singers to some extent make money but a small percentage of the flock make it in the profession. I've seen a relative struggle all their life and end up morose, frustrated and feeling like a failure. Now putting the kid through it, making him dream the same.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 12th, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
That's exactly where I knew this would head.. to say rather bluntly, one needs another person to sacrifice for you choosing an unreliable career.

Most authors have not had big time success until their twilight years.. same with painters, singers to some extent make money but a small percentage of the flock make it in the profession. I've seen a relative struggle all their life and end up morose, frustrated and feeling like a failure. Now putting the kid through it, making him dream the same.
Yes, one person often ends up making the sacrifice. Forget about a field like music/ painting, even in our day to life we see that often one of the spouses has to make a sacrifice of having a less demanding career (even if that means a less satisfying job) to be able to come home early to be able to stay with kids, make dinner etc. Its not a gender related issue, in general I am saying this.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:17 AM
vipin

vip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond reputevip11 has a reputation beyond repute

EK AGARI EK PACHARI, is the saying to make the living together, it is true that one of the spouse especially woman has to profess less demanding career. Indian youth has just been able to dream about carrying forward the idea of propensity. However they are well aware of its impracticality. Only one can pursue it as a sideline job only to satisfy his special inclinations.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:26 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

In old days, Anjineers used to work on the shop floor or a worksite.

In one of Nehru's creations where i worked first time, the few desk jobs pertaining to design, planning, etc. were given out to the ladies. Such that if any guy wanted a desk job, he was seen as a sissy.
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Ha ha ha haha hhhaaaaaaa
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.