eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Work visas

Notices

Work visas Want to discuss about H1B and other work related visa regulations and latest updates?

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Junior eCharchan

girishm is on a distinguished road
Valid H1 VISA on cancelled pp and new pp with name bifercation

I got the H1B stamped last year (oct 2007) but due to some reason i coudn't travel till now. Now i am planning to enter US on H1. In my passport my name was not bifercated, first name and last name was printed on the given name and surname was blank. So submitted an application to bifercate the name into surname and given name correctly and i got the new passport with the correct name. But my H1 VISA was stamped on the old passport(stamping was done before name bifercation). Now i have both the passports, but the old passport status is cancelled holding the valid H1 VISA. My question is, will there be any problem in entering the US as my new passport got name split and my old passport got the H1 VISA. I will carry both the passports with me. Help in this regard is much appriciated.

-girish
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valid H1 VISA on cancelled pp and new pp with name bifercation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishm View Post
I got the H1B stamped last year (oct 2007) but due to some reason i coudn't travel till now. Now i am planning to enter US on H1. In my passport my name was not bifercated, first name and last name was printed on the given name and surname was blank. So submitted an application to bifercate the name into surname and given name correctly and i got the new passport with the correct name. But my H1 VISA was stamped on the old passport(stamping was done before name bifercation). Now i have both the passports, but the old passport status is cancelled holding the valid H1 VISA. My question is, will there be any problem in entering the US as my new passport got name split and my old passport got the H1 VISA. I will carry both the passports with me. Help in this regard is much appriciated.

-girish
i have seen such case, he carries both passports. he took clearance/permission from immigration services and home land security .
but he was already there in US. since you are travelling to US i suggest you should consult the embassy in india , before you travel and land in unwantede troubles.

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:43 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Griish ... valid visa on old expired passport is not the problem ... I myself travel with expired passport due to similar reason. But with the problem you describe ... you'll be at the mercy of immigration officials upon arrival and they are not into common sense business ... not in the US ... not anywhere ... no more.

You should have had your Indian passport amended or bifurcated before H1 visa was stamped on it. Water under the bridge. Don't take chances. Travel Agents in India are often more knowledgeable than petty consul officers. Talk to travel agent and talk to local Consul or embassy staff.

Don't leave till you are sure ... 100% sure. Is it not possible to have visa stamp transfered to your properly bifurcated fresh passport?

Welcome ...
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

no pirablem boss... just carry both and eksplain your sit-u-a-shun... but beware you will have lots of trouble because of this... when you go to apply for SSN... when you go to the bank... when you go out of US... when you apply for Green Card... this can even bifercate your peace of mind...

I would suggest recording your explanation on iPod and play it to the person looking at your passports...
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Take appt. To go to india location of US consulate nearest to you. Explain situation and then travel.
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:40 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
bifercate
You too? I will have to check dicsionary ... word ought to be bifurcate ... I think.

Like this ...

AB ... unbifurcated

A....................................................................................................................... .............................................................B

Now this above is properly bifurcated ... see? Wait ... I check.

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
You too? I will have to check dicsionary ... word ought to be bifurcate ... I think.

Like this ...

AB ... unbifurcated

A....................................................................................................................... .............................................................B

Okay ... I looked in to dicsionary ...

copy/paste

bifurcate = To divide into two.

Old December 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

-girish
sahi hai..aapko H1 pe is economy mein naukri de kaun raha hai ?
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post

Like this ...

AB ... unbifurcated

i wrote that spelling intentionally... i am kinda screwed up in the head...
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Junior eCharchan

girishm is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

-girish
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

-girish
You are welcome ... we try. So what brought you here ... Google or a friend?