eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Respect for Armymen and Veterans

I just saw a July 4 telecast in which one Ex USarmy man with al white hair was recounting how he had gone to a restaurant and one woman had picked up his tab without his knowing. In general, people thank these guys for defening thir country.

I was wondering how far would we go in India with these.

In general we respect Army men (and the few women) and also supported the slodiers . during Kargil war. However, would you pick up the tab of some retired colonel in a restaurant and also if some person in uniform is pssing by, would you thank him / her for defending the country.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Banned / Unbanned

guruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond reputeguruji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Respect for Armymen and Veterans

My FIL once gave his berth in train to an army man while travelling from Vadodara to Hyderabad. Thanked him for what he was doing.

If you cant dazzle them with brilliance ..baffle them with bullshit
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

In general we respect Army men (and the few women) and also supported the slodiers . during Kargil war. However, would you pick up the tab of some retired colonel in a restaurant and also if some person in uniform is pssing by, would you thank him / her for defending the country.
I don't ever remember doing it but I guess I should do it.

Would you do it BTW?
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
My FIL once gave his berth in train to an army man while travelling from Vadodara to Hyderabad. Thanked him for what he was doing.
From what I had seen personally... a long time back. I was travelling long-distance unreserved in a reserved compartment and there was a soldier in the same boat. When the TC came in, the soldier was kicked and booted out of the reserved compartment. I luckily escaped similar treatment (long story... kabhi fursat mein).

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I don't ever remember doing it but I guess I should do it.

Would you do it BTW?
Hae not explixitly domne that but would star doing so.
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM
eCharchan

santra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I just saw a July 4 telecast in which one Ex USarmy man with al white hair was recounting how he had gone to a restaurant and one woman had picked up his tab without his knowing. In general, people thank these guys for defening thir country.

I was wondering how far would we go in India with these.

Once I was travelling from Pittsburgh to SFO. there were 5 or 6 army men on the same flight. From SFO they were suppose to go to Bakersfield around one and half hour drive from SFO.
one of the army men was hungry and inquired about the food on sale in the flight when he was told it was $7/box, he decided not to buy and then I overheard their conversation , $7 was too much for them to spend on food instead they decided to wait till they reach bakersfield which was 6 hours away and eat the free food they get at their training camp. I felt so bad. without their knowledge I asked airhostess to give all of them the snack box and I paid for it. she told them it was from airlines so that they don't feel bad. When Pilot came to know about this he gave me his tie pin as token of appreciation.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Once I was travelling from Pittsburgh to SFO. there were 5 or 6 army men on the same flight. From SFO they were suppose to go to Bakersfield around one and half hour drive from SFO.
one of the army men was hungry and inquired about the food on sale in the flight when he was told it was $7/box, he decided not to buy and then I overheard their conversation , $7 was too much for them to spend on food instead they decided to wait till they reach bakersfield which was 6 hours away and eat the free food they get at their training camp. I felt so bad. without their knowledge I asked airhostess to give all of them the snack box and I paid for it. she told them it was from airlines so that they don't feel bad. When Pilot came to know about this he gave me his tie pin as token of appreciation.
Saala, toh woh tu tha. Kab se e-mail par e-mail aate ja rahe the... on this incident. Kabhi koi old lady... kabhi koi old man... kabhi koi businessman... kabhi koi lady... ab pata chala ye toh apna hi desi tha

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
eCharchan

santra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond reputesantra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Saala, toh woh tu tha. Kab se e-mail par e-mail aate ja rahe the... on this incident. Kabhi koi old lady... kabhi koi old man... kabhi koi businessman... kabhi koi lady... ab pata chala ye toh apna hi desi tha
Zara vistaar mein batao baat kuchh samajh mein nahin aayee
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:45 AM

There is now a WhatsApp forward video which shows airport clapping for a group of soldiers. That is preceded by another video with Modi exhorting people to clap for soldiers.

Now, won't mind clapping, but I haven't seen it happen in Umrika. Plus the army men or women are in groups of one or two.
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:31 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Happens more aften when cameras are rolling