eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old September 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Shirdi Sai Baba - is he part of Hinduism?

Millions of people around the world worship Shirdi Sai Baba. I'm sure there are folks on this forum that worship him. My question is - does he belong to the pantheon of Hindu gods?

Hindus have this false perception that every spiritual utterance by anybody at anytime falls into the Hindu domain and every God belongs to the Hindu pantheon of Gods, and this includes Christ and Allah. That's how they define Sanatana Dharma, which is ludicrous at best and blasphemous at worst.

First of all, no christian or muslim is going to accept that definition. So basically, Hindus are forced to define their values by process of elimination. That's a horrible way to understand one's religion.

Shirdi Sai Baba is a prime example. Some Hindus are okay with considering him a Hindu God. He may have preached love and do good and all that. He must be an influential saint, but why does he get lumped into Hinduism? He should start a new religion called SaiBabism.

Saibabaism is NOT Hinduism.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shirdi Sai Baba - is he part of Hinduism?

And now the latest is calling him Vishnu avatar.

People also call Swami Samarth of Akalkot as Vishnu Avatar.

Now I fail to understand how they conclude that a particular saint was Vishnu Avatar
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
And now the latest is calling him Vishnu avatar.

People also call Swami Samarth of Akalkot as Vishnu Avatar.

Now I fail to understand how they conclude that a particular saint was Vishnu Avatar
Dude, Samarth Swami of Akkalkot and Sai Baba of Shirdi are both avatars of Lord Dattatreya in Kalyuga.

Lord Dattatreya is also widely worhipped by Vaishnavites (since he is considered amalgamation of sukshma ansh of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh i.e. the Trinity), hence folks must be drawing a co-relation.

Just my $0.02
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Millions of people around the world worship Shirdi Sai Baba. I'm sure there are folks on this forum that worship him. My question is - does he belong to the pantheon of Hindu gods?

Hindus have this false perception that every spiritual utterance by anybody at anytime falls into the Hindu domain and every God belongs to the Hindu pantheon of Gods, and this includes Christ and Allah. That's how they define Sanatana Dharma, which is ludicrous at best and blasphemous at worst.

First of all, no christian or muslim is going to accept that definition. So basically, Hindus are forced to define their values by process of elimination. That's a horrible way to understand one's religion.

Shirdi Sai Baba is a prime example. Some Hindus are okay with considering him a Hindu God. He may have preached love and do good and all that. He must be an influential saint, but why does he get lumped into Hinduism? He should start a new religion called SaiBabism.

Saibabaism is NOT Hinduism.
Kalidas ganjeri....aajkal kuchh jyaada hi kash laga rahe ho

All religions that existed in the past, are currently existing, and will exist in future, regardless of poly, mono, agnostic, or a-theistic are part of Sanatan Dharma aka Hinduism.

Hinduism is Sanatan Dharma (as I have said zillion time before on this site, Hinduism is the label given by ancient Iranians, and that it is as set of practices/cults that were observed in region east of Indus river)...it is Christians who have hijacked this concept by way of Catholicism.

The term Catholic means "Universal" in Greek....a misappropriation of Sanatan Dharma. Catholics not only misappropriated this, but also engage in hidden form of Shiva Linga. Don't believe me...see this gigantic shivalinga at Vatican.

http://www.masters-table.org/pagan/obelisk_vatican.jpg
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
Kalidas ganjeri....aajkal kuchh jyaada hi kash laga rahe ho

All religions that existed in the past, are currently existing, and will exist in future, regardless of poly, mono, agnostic, or a-theistic are part of Sanatan Dharma aka Hinduism.

Hinduism is Sanatan Dharma (as I have said zillion time before on this site, Hinduism is the label given by ancient Iranians, and that it is as set of practices/cults that were observed in region east of Indus river)...it is Christians who have hijacked this concept by way of Catholicism.

The term Catholic means "Universal" in Greek....a misappropriation of Sanatan Dharma. Catholics not only misappropriated this, but also engage in hidden form of Shiva Linga. Don't believe me...see this gigantic shivalinga at Vatican.

http://www.masters-table.org/pagan/obelisk_vatican.jpg
Case and Point about the delusions of grandeur of Sanatan Dharmics!

You guys rely on conjecture, wishful thinking and vague symbolic connections to make your case. It's baseless. Unless the Pope comes out and says that Catholicism is part of the Sanatan Dharma, it is not.

I agree with you about how Hinduism may have been coined, because there is ample historical and linguistic evidence to support it.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
Dude, Samarth Swami of Akkalkot and Sai Baba of Shirdi are both avatars of Lord Dattatreya in Kalyuga.

Lord Dattatreya is also widely worhipped by Vaishnavites (since he is considered amalgamation of sukshma ansh of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh i.e. the Trinity), hence folks must be drawing a co-relation.

Just my $0.02
I am completely flabbergasted. Who is Samarth Swami of Akkalkot? Where? Wha...?

Are Indians deprived of rational thinking? Am I the only one that feels that way?
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Super eCharchan

Dattatreya was an interesting historical figure. He was the son of Rishi Atri. Maharishi Atri was part of the Saptarishi, but he was not. Why?

Dattatreya was a ardent devotee of Shiva. Durvasa is also the son of Maharishi Atri and an ardent follower of Shiva. However, there are no texts talking about both Durvasa AND Dattatreya as separate people. It's qute possible that they refer to the same person. Durvasa may have been a negative connotation (Dur-vasa) in hardline Vishnu texts, but the real identity may have been Dattatreya.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:46 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Are Indians deprived of rational thinking? Am I the only one that feels that way?
Thodi kam piya karo.. At least on weekend man.

You have no right to tred upon somebody's opinion.. If you don't agree with its fine but don't think too highly of yourself.. You showed your level already when i sambhared you badly.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Thodi kam piya karo.. At least on weekend man.

You have no right to tred upon somebody's opinion.. If you don't agree with its fine but don't think too highly of yourself.. You showed your level already when i sambhared you badly.
Chal phut le.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:00 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chal phut le.
Upcoming author aur itna gussa..
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shri_Swami_Samarth

Hope this helps. I was responding to Swami's comment btw, about swami samarth and sai baba being referred to as Vishnu avatars.
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Nope !! Sai Baba(s) have not been mentioned in any of the Vedic or Puranic texts.

Has anyone on this forum been a witness to ANY miracle that people claim about him ?

Rakhi was talking about some idiappam miracle... checking with her on this.... Rakhi ! what about the self reproducing idiappam ? Did you get a chance to taste it ?
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Case and Point about the delusions of grandeur of Sanatan Dharmics!

You guys rely on conjecture, wishful thinking and vague symbolic connections to make your case. It's baseless. Unless the Pope comes out and says that Catholicism is part of the Sanatan Dharma, it is not.

I agree with you about how Hinduism may have been coined, because there is ample historical and linguistic evidence to support it.
Closing your eyes and experiencing darkness does not mean it is night already
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
Closing your eyes and experiencing darkness does not mean it is night already
Come on, dhurru. You can do better than that.
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

Hinduism is great. It is the best form of democracy. you are allowed or rather have the privilege of worshipping whomsoever you wish and still be hindu. Why? cuz hinduism is a way of life, not bound by a set of rules in a dumb book.