eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old September 29th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
My theory regarding the caste system

Here's my theory regarding the caste system in India. It should not come as a major surprise to most. This is my view of what must have been the caste system prior to 1000 AD, when Hinduism wasn't under the influence of Islam or Christianity. However, Hinduism had undergone great changes due to the influence of Buddhism and Jainism.

There are four castes - Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaisyas and Sudras. Generally speaking, the castes were designed by profession. Each caste had their own defined set of rules, regulations and rituals. Inter-caste marriages were uncommon. The rules were so starkly different between each caste, that one could say that they were separate religions, working together as one. A Brahmin family had a completely different religious, cultural, and social outlook on life than a Vaisya family.

Within each caste, there were sub-castes; again based on profession. Few Brahmins were priests and royal ministers. Majority of the rank-and-file Brahmins were genealogists. They kept a register of various families. They became family 'pandits' for followers of various sects. The registers kept detailed records of births and deaths and key life events. Pandits played a major role in resolving family disputes and inheritance issues.

Kshatriyas were kings and tax collectors. They lived in palaces and lived the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Kings fought and killed each other. Much has been written about kshatriyas, so I won't go into detail.

Vaisyas and Sudras shared unique relation. Sudras were workers, farmers, carpenters, herders and craftsmen. Certain castes specialized in certain professions and became generational experts. For example - Koris were considered experts at textile, Sherpas were mountain climbers, etc. Vaisyas were expert traders, who sold the wares globally. They were the kings of the Silk Road. Vaisyas were landowners and traders. They were the Lalas and Agarwals, who used to practically run the town. They ran the Panchayats and interfaced with the Kshatriyas. Kshatriyas used to work closely with the Vaisyas to ensure they were happy. If Vaisyas were not happy, it meant trouble for the Kings.

More later....
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My theory regarding the caste system

everybody knows all this.. whats your theory, if any different?..
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
everybody knows all this.. whats your theory, if any different?..
I have no idea what you know or don't know to comment whether it is different or not.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
I have no idea what you know or don't know to comment whether it is different or not.
This is commonplace knowledge is what I meant, everybody knows about the 4 main castes and how they evolved, how their duties and thus their position in the society is different accordingly.

Even American students in high school are being taught all this. My desi colleagues daughter was complaining how her desi classmate friend is Brahmin by birth but never even attends Hindu school in the temple, knows hardly any shlokas, doesn't fare well in academics.. in her words its dumb that her friend is a higher caste than her .. I'm so happy to report that at the age of 12 she understands and rejects Indian caste system.

An american colleagues kids are calling themselves "Brahmins of America" as their parents are IT Engineer and Professor.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM
The Destroyer of Maya

Origmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond repute

Caste is just another aspect of the old world that shall be soon swept off into the tides of history. An old element of the social hierarchy prior.

Caste is relevant in India only as a tool of political manipulation at this time. No other nation is obsessed over its own origins in such a morbid manner in this world like us today. Even Muslim and Christians still maintain their castes and we should end this nonsense circus and grant social assistance on terms of economic impoverishment. Its not like the truly poor hardly gets any of these grants under the existing system anyway. We know where that goes to.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

Mrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant futureMrs Bhandaari has a brilliant future

Kaali ....you are boring us now....trust us.....

More later....
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origmos View Post
Caste is just another aspect of the old world that shall be soon swept off into the tides of history. An old element of the social hierarchy prior.

Caste is relevant in India only as a tool of political manipulation at this time. No other nation is obsessed over its own origins in such a morbid manner in this world like us today. Even Muslim and Christians still maintain their castes and we should end this nonsense circus and grant social assistance on terms of economic impoverishment. Its not like the truly poor hardly gets any of these grants under the existing system anyway. We know where that goes to.
I fully agree with you that Caste as a tool for political manipulation is nonsense.

Historically speaking, the 'lower' caste societies were never treated as badly as projected by the media and politicians. It was mainly the influence of Muslims and Christians that changed the nature of the lower castes. Lower castes were NOT treated as slaves. They were free individuals, who lived a decent lifestyle without oppression. The pressure to work within the confines of caste came within the caste itself; but religion itself applied constraints on caste.

Caste system created specialization in professions, which brought about tremendous riches to India.

The problems facing India today is not caste system, but a lack of understanding of caste system and how it could be used to unleash a creative and progressive society.

India needs to get rid of the reservation system. Let people with merit get into the best schools and the best jobs. People of castes will tend to gravitate towards their ancestral professions, which is not necessarily a bad thing. People will tend to perform their jobs with pride and self-respect, if they feel they are living up to their lineage. Trying to force fit a square peg into a round hole isn't quite working out for the country.
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:49 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bhandaari View Post
Kaali ....you are boring us now....trust us.....

More later....
Okay. I will post a thread about my farts. It is quite funny and you will like it.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:00 PM

I'm still waiting on what's your theory.. everything you say is something one can read on the internet or in books or is common knowledge.. how is it 'your' theory?? Please elaborate.. I'm interested in knowing a different outlook and hopefully seeing a point about this thread.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

It is a system that has already outlived its utility

jeetIAF
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

Like it or not, Caste aka Class is the final destination.

Every intelligent person divides his/her work subject in classes.

Scientists use the classification system for all their work in the animal kingdom, financial experts use it classification for industries, and further more by eps.

more later....