eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute
Question SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

A friend living overseas wishes to know ... can we discuss?

Do you?

How often? I think once a year

Do you need a brahmin or pandit to help perform?

Can you on your own at home or does it have to be in a temple?

What are the rituals/prayers associated with Shrad ceremony? Not sure if ceremony isn't the right word ... sorry if so.

It involves offering food and water? What if my friend cant find a brahmin or poor to feed?

Whatever you can share ... thank you.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

No need for a ceremony.

The veda says If you cannot afford a cerimony, go to the nearest river inlet/outlet cry. Put a pinch of til (black one tilam in sanskrit), a tulsi or peepal leaf and if not a piece of grass (darb in sanskrit) in the river. When having food give a handful if you have enough to a bird or cattle (notice.. cattle not cow). If you are too poor to afford even that, let a drop of your tear drip into the river water. (I did not say it.. it was said by yama to bhrigu rishi when he found himself unable to perform shrada of his father due to lack of resources)

That is it.

Besides, keep them reasonably happy and content when they are alive. Marne ke baad unkaa naam kalankit mat karo.. that is enough of a shrad.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:43 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
No need for a ceremony.
The veda says If you cannot afford a cerimony,

... ...

Isn't there one particular day of every year set aside for shrada ceremony?

Put a pinch of til (black one tilam in sanskrit), a tulsi or peepal leaf and if not a piece of grass (darb in sanskrit) in the river.

I came across a list of colored black items to forward to my friend ... til, black daal, chappals and umbrella? I can understand the rest but why til? There won't no holy river in overseas foreign of my friend? Any river will do? Day? Time?

When having food give a handful if you have enough to a bird or cattle
And some fresh water in clean container along with a handful of food? And til? If you explain significance of til ...

perform shrada of his father due to lack of resources)
What resources?

Besides, keep them reasonably happy and content when they are alive.
Interesting and very much valid ... except ... what if someone was not able to? ... could be due to a million personal circumstances? Not everyone's parents live long enough ...

Thanks ...
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

After Ganpati visarjan and a day before navratri is the shrad period.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

The particualar day differs. It is the thithi of the month of the actual event. And if that is not known, on the day of avani... the day on which you change your janeu.. the sacred thread, you do a "Sarvaaatmana tarpan" (called many things like sarva pitra tarpan) after the devatarpan and brahma rishi tarpan. That is all. The belief is all aatmas irrespective of cast creed, or yoni (i.e includes the aatma of dead animals and plants) are given "tarpayami" by every adult brahmin for the peace of their soul. This is usually followed by pinda daanam and samita daanam (dried neem and mango tree stems/twigs that have falled off the tree and not plucked). These ritual supposedly takes care of the aatmas of people who did not leave an offspring behind.. (last of their line sorts).. or none left to remember their souls.

That is what is done. Thithi is calculated different by believers of different veda branch.. ie.. samavedis, rigvedis etc.. then you have different rishi followers and surta varies.. like there are triyarisheya, pancharisheya, saptarisheya, rig/sama/yaju/atharva shakha adhyaai, then there are sootras .. like apasthamba sootra etc.. so calculations vary depending on those variables.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Pelu Pelu

Actually, the mahalay amavasya day which occurs sometime arround/on dushehara day is considered default if the thithi is not known for various reasons.. say one knows an ancestral person/link is dead by way of news or assumption (missing for a sadi.. i.e 7 years and one month) but exact date/time of death is not certain.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Pelu Pelu

2013 it was on 4th oct which was a friday.. start of navaratri I thunk not sure. Pitru paksha started by that calc arround sept 15th through 19th depending on shukla paksha or krishna paksha and other aspects.. again a guesstimate not exactly sure. It depends on the position of swati and the varaha constellation and I don't have exact info on that to give the correct one.

Last edited by GpeL; November 11th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Gpel certainly seems to know more. Follow what he said Badriji.

From the limited knowledge I have, I will try to answer. Shrad is performed on chatursadi, if the person died of any poison/ accident or any sudden death. If not, then on amavasya. Not sure if this is followed through out the country or if it's different for different cultures.
It is done once every year.

You don't have to be a Brahmin or need a Brahmin to do this. My granddad passed away when I was a baby. Since then every year my mamaji performs this on his death anniversary. We don't see chatursadi or amavasya.
Since I grew up, I started performing this (with encouragement from mom) on his birthday. Just make some food which he liked and donate to my favorite charitable trust (of late sick kids foundation). We also donate cloths in his name during every major function.
Grandma says this is more than enough. Hope this helps.
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Pelu Pelu

YUp rakhi ji anything that is confusing or convoluted, I am always there to poke my dirty nose into it. Law, science, maths and these esoteric things.

As for your catursadi (it is chaturdasi not chatursadi ) it is reserved for suicide cases.. amavasya for the rest and that is for tarpan which is sorta a mini sharad.. the actual shrad has to be done on the thithi or on mahalya amavasya and the time for that varies.. but if unknown the onset is enugh.. but if dunno when it occurs, any day of your choosing.. their birth day, their marriage day or any day that you would like to remember with.. say the day they won the noble prize or param veer chakra all is ok.. the idea is to remember them and their contributions in general. How? Any kind act towards a good act is ok.. and kicking narendra modi does not count.
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

Badri bhaiya gone through the first post of yours in this thread.Havent read others.Have been boozing since morning .Went through the related other stuff in 3 parts too just now but need to be sober and on a keyboard instead of my phone to type.Will respond as soon as possible but still would need time.Provide me any fake email address of yours which you access as I am not interested in your identity.Need some more info like...

Whats your friends age exact.No not for making fun.

Does your friend believes in god and if yes in what way and to what extent.Fikar not whether he believes or not the solution is the same and equally effective.

Who all live with him presently.Do they believe in god and if yes in what way and to what extent..again wont effect the solution.

Incase he or any member in his family who live with him believe in god then do they have a small pooja room type of thing in their present home.Even a pooja place say under the staircase or in an alley is more than enough provided it has even a single picture or moorti of any god or godess in which any family member has immense pure unconditional and unquestionable faith.

If your friend is an atheist or an agnostic it would work more miraculously.

Forget the shradh , it comes just once a year.Our respect and devotion for our parents has to be 24/7/365 every moment of our life whether or not they are alive.Superficial stunts like shrad are meant for those ignorants who are on the lower rung of the ladder.Those on the topmost rung do what needs to be the norm and happens naturally from our heart with full pious unadulterated and unconditional devotion.

You wont ever need a pundit for it.Maa ki choot pundit ki....All the pundits in the world wont be able to do it even in an iota of an amount plus you can get the pundits but cannyou instill in them the emotions that a son has for his parenys....heck you wont need a penny for it and yet it would be happening through your friend 24/7/365 and their is nothing higher in terms of the entire history and collective intelligence of human understanding that can be done in the situation described.

Fikar not...dont worry...take it easy..its elementary ...trust me...just a mountain has been made out of a guilt built mole but in a way good ....hints us we have good fellas amongst us...fortunate are his parents...log apnay maa baap ko jeetay jee maar detay hain...katl kartay hain apnay maa baap kaa kuch is tarah kishto may ki kabhi khanjar badaltay hain toh kabhi kaatil...zindaa maa baap ko log yaad nahin rakhtay ....and here we have some good fellas who are remembering their parents and feeling that they arent remembering as much they need to...bhagwaan aisaa betaa hur maa baap ko day..

Zindaa andhay maa baap ko toh koi bhee teerath karaa kay Shravan kumar bun saktaa hai but aankh hamesha kay liye band honay kay baad jo beta apnay maa baap ko hur teerath hur swarg hur bhagwaan say oopar lay jaaye voh hai asli Shravan Kumar....voh hai Brahmaa ki sarvashreshth rachnaa.

Done with the epilogue...baaki pm mails may but time lagaygaa.....guru ki zaroorat nahin paraygee hopefully....

A picture speaks a thousand words.My epilogue would be a simple ordinary photograph.

I just hope and wish your friend has atleast one photograph of his dearest deceased...if not dont worry we will work an effective way out...may be with any of their nishaanis....even if its the spoke of some bike......
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Gpel, yes it's chaturdasi! This auto correct must have messed it up!
BTW, why this sudden respect?? Ji and all?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

Chivalry is Gpels way of flirting on echarcha.Be cautious.You have been forwarned.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

In my case, we just make some goodies, and put that "thali" full of goodies for the crows to feast on it. It is believed that the crow is our ancestor.

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
After Ganpati visarjan and a day before navratri is the shrad period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
2013 it was on 4th oct which was a friday..
Yes, it was 4th of October.

Pitru paksha
He went to a very holy city in India to perform pind daan ... that was few years ago. There was nothing pious or solemn about the occasion. Crowds ... dirty filthy holy river ... greedy pandits ... noise ... long queues ... more like assembly line in a crowded filthy factory.

Is the reason he wishes to find a way to perform on his own, in his own home, in his own way. He has called upon couple of us friends to help him find the right way to perform the ritual ...

So far this is all I have forwarded to him ...
1. One particular day of the year ... understood.
2. On this particular day, go to nearest river/pond and offer tulsi leaves alongwith TIL, is that right? And late morning (?), prepare some veg meal and leave handful out for birds to feed on. Understood. Someone from Banaras University suggested to him to leave fresh water in a clean metal bowl as well ... (even though, he said, he does it everyday before going to work. Leave few slices of multi-grain bread out in the open ... hundreds of fruit trees around but birds do still feed on the bread, he said ... )

3. Is this it?

Gpelbhai ... can you kindly find more about significance of TIL, you mentioned earlier?

Last edited by badriprasad; November 11th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Gpel certainly seems to know more. Follow what he said Badriji.

Yes, Rakhiji he does and not hesitant to share when he can.

From the limited knowledge I have, I will try to answer. Shrad is performed on chatursadi, if the person died of any poison/ accident or any sudden death. If not, then on amavasya.

Yes. Amavasya ... one jjust before Dassehra. It has to be this particulr day ... he doesn't remember dates his parents were born or died. I asked him ... his grand parents died long before he was born.

Not sure if this is followed through out the country or if it's different for different cultures.

Each region has different way to offer homage ... I think. Sentiments are the same.

It is done once every year.

Yes.

You don't have to be a Brahmin or need a Brahmin to do this.
Understood ... thanks.

Since I grew up, I started performing this (with encouragement from mom) on his birthday.
Great ... so his wife can on her own ... just in case both cannot be absent from work on same day.

Just make some food which he liked
and feed to birds cause

and donate to my favorite charitable trust (of late sick kids foundation). We also donate cloths in his name during every major function.
Grandma says this is more than enough.
this may not be possible given his current place of residence. Some foreign city in overseas country. You wouldn't dare do in Canada ... right? ... poor and hungry, if you can find one, will sue you if he got belly ache eating strange Indian food ... you know what I mean?

Hope this helps.
Yes. He wouldn't mind combining few as long as intentions are to offer respects and homage in memory of them, who are no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
In my case, we just make some goodies, and put that "thali" full of goodies for the crows to feast on it. It is believed that the crow is our ancestor.
I told him. All he sees are parrots and other birds ... crows, seldom if ever. Crows are smart you see ... unlike the rest ... crows know, cats wait behind the bushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzva View Post
Badri bhaiya gone through the first post of yours in this thread.
Were you at railway platform waiting for fast train? Go easy bhai.