eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old November 11th, 2013, 03:27 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SHRAD - to honor ancestors and departed elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzva View Post
Done with the epilogue...baaki pm mails may but time lagaygaa.....guru ki zaroorat nahin paraygee hopefully....

A picture speaks a thousand words.My epilogue would be a simple ordinary photograph.

I just hope and wish your friend has atleast one photograph of his dearest deceased...if not dont worry we will work an effective way out...may be with any of their nishaanis....even if its the spoke of some bike......
YES, he has pics as well as few keepsakes ... I have seen in his house, when I visited him ... small tin box of chocolates, all rusty now, where his father kept days' earnings. And a very small purse from which his mother will find few coins, before he left for school. And a small metal katori ... she used for storing ghee ...
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Gpel, yes it's chaturdasi! This auto correct must have messed it up!
BTW, why this sudden respect?? Ji and all?
Women always deserve and get respect. Believe it or not, I used to call my late wife (her name) ji.. not just by her name.. say for example her name is abc.. I would call her abcji.. not hey abc come here. it would be always abcji mind coming here please. Just cos she is my wife does not mean I have the right to disrespect her.. and I was given the same respect. Never can remember her ONCE calling me by my first name.
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute

Tanteshwar majaraj.. there is nothing to find about.. TIL represents a) Sri Devi i.e vishnu's wife and since it is believed moksha is achieved by reaching vaikuntha, having sridevi with you forces vishnu to take the person along with them. It therefore represents immortality i.e post death.. which means moksha.

Mahalya amavasaya is called sarva pitra moksha amavasya and is considered very auspicious. And rakhi ji, I stand corrected.. not only suicide, but violent death also gets that caturdasi day.. war/calamities/accidents. There are other days for childern below 1 year, women who did not attain widow hood i.e passed away before their hubby. etc etc.

The main reason (logical one) is..all crops are iffy and fail miserably when in drought but til is very drought resistant and very high in nutitious content including amino acids and in olden days, if there were sever drought only rice and til survived usually and so rice and til pindas were precribed for such MUST rituals. In hinduism, all poojas are optional.. ganashe chatrurti etc et.. but sharda and tarpans were must.

Also any thithi over 10.. ekadashi thru amavasya are all considered apt for rituals that are sharada kinds.. there are exceptions like duadashi but most of them are that.
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
BTW, why this sudden respect?? Ji and all?
Come to think of it, I don't call my own daughter by her name.. I call her the following naalayak, gadhi, badmash, shaitan ki amma, tumma, tummuda, e-pilla, beta, bitiya, betu.. and useage of Di or re is a strict no no. abe, kyaa bey, chal bey etc are ok onlyunder exceptional case where their attention is required immediatly like say they are going to step on/over fire/parapet.. i.e in effect stepping into danger/getting hurt will I call her by he name. I only called her by her name once and she immediatly knew I was disapproving what she was doing and went about a song and dance sequence to passify my (put on) anger. I never get angry on my two tails.. but sometimes pretending to be angry is required.. but fortunately they can see through this acting of mine and so it does not hurt their tender hearts and mind.
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking about "tarpan" that is done every year? Or it should be done once and for all by going to Gaya(near Bodhgaya, Bihar) - is that the one we are discussing?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Pelu Pelu

nappie pitru tarpan has to be done every amavasya and eclipses. Moon which is a full moon day, it has to be done twice.. when ecliplse begins and when it ends take shower again and do it. Solar eclipse too same on the eclipse day a new moon day, once the regular new moon one, one on the onset and one on exit. The once in life time one is called sarvapitru akhanda pinda daana tarpan and is done at kashi. one done it relieves you of the responsibility of tarpan/sharadda once and for all but cannot be done if any of the parent i.e mom or dad is still alive.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Banned

zyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond reputezyzzva has a reputation beyond repute

Badri those things he has are more than sufficient....wasnt at the platform...daaru peeing in the bed with suttas ...watching discovery channel in the background...programme was wild sex...animals may...during the adds doing echarcha... wasnt in a state of mind to type what was required hence kept it all wrapped in cryptic so that none except you can decipher my acknowledgement with a genuine and sincere interest to the stuff related...In pm later...I owe you...

Just convey to your friend to take whatever comfort he may from the thought that you happen to know a die hard conceited Narcissistic asshole who sends super salutations to his thoughts over the internet miles....
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:26 AM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
After Ganpati visarjan and a day before navratri is the shrad period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
2013 it was on 4th oct which was a friday.. start of navaratri I thunk not sure.
Quote:
nappie pitru tarpan has to be done every amavasya
BhaYa ... this is getting a bit confusing ... two posts quoted above your above quoted post above ... so is it once a year or every month? His parents died natural death due to sickness. Does it make a difference (shrad procedure) if they died with many wishes unfulfilled?

I googled ... found nothing except websites offering online Shrad services for a fee ... money to be sent by Nigerian method ... WSTRN UNIN. Which reminds me ... I haven't yet heard from sick old lady from Nigeria ... she was so kind as to promise to leave her USD 50 million in my care. All she needs is USD 5000 to cover postage ... unfortunately there is no west union office where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzva View Post
conceited .
Oh no ... budape mei dimag sathiya gaya mera ... Hey Ram.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Pelu Pelu

Tant maha prabho..
Pitru tarpan to be done every amavsya.. no pundit required.. it is just a few mantras that sorta pay homage to.. the father (it is done only if father is dead.. mother dead no issue both dead again yes).. his father and if the name of great grand dad is not yet forgotten him.. i.e. 3 steps above himself. 4th step is considered visarjit and joined the elite group of rishis. Rishi tarpanam is mandatory anyways whenever father is given his due admiration.. the mantras for rishi and deva tarpanam and the gestures are different and are done even if the father is alive on the day upanayam is changed.. then the ones with father still alive ajourn the sessions for pitru tarpan to continue.. etc.. deva tarpan hand position is palms pointing down with the upanayanam worn left to right and the upanayan held between thumb and index finger.. brahma rishi tarpanam is upanayan in same position with the thumb pointing upwards and pritru tarpan is with thumb pointing down with upanayan worn right to left.. meaning the upanayan is on the right shoulder and diagonaly down towards left..

Sharad is done on the thithi and the procedure involves a pundit feeding brahmins etc.. long one.

Sarvapitru tarpan is on mahalaya.. and the one that frees you of the obligation is done at kashi.. pind danam.

ALL are different.

so tarpan != shraad.
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Pelu Pelu

Rishi tarpanam rishis vary.. say your gotra is aatreya.. it will be atreya, archananisha, saavasva rishi (trayarisheya pravaranvitaaha (decendant of)).. if your gotra is Srivathsa it will be Bhargava Chyavana Apnavana Aurva Jamadhaknya(pancharisheya pravaranvitaha).. etc etc.. so it will be different.. the mantras.

Last edited by GpeL; November 12th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Yes. He wouldn't mind combining few as long as intentions are to offer respects and homage in memory of them, who are no more.

Badriji, I should have been clear...when I said I donate, I didnt mean food. I donate in cash. The food I prepare for my late grandpa goes down the drain as I was told not to eat that and that i need to feed it to birds. Where am I going to find birds in January here?

Quote:
Women always deserve and get respect. Believe it or not, I used to call my late wife (her name) ji.. not just by her name.. say for example her name is abc.. I would call her abcji.. not hey abc come here. it would be always abcji mind coming here please. Just cos she is my wife does not mean I have the right to disrespect her.. and I was given the same respect. Never can remember her ONCE calling me by my first name.
good...we dont call each other by first name either.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
good...we dont call each other by first name either.
y'all are weird.. how do you call then? munnu ke papa, chunnu ki mummy, Mr. ABC, Mrs. ABC? or nicknames Bunty, Babli? or by relation.. husband come here.. wife I'm home.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
y'all are weird.. how do you call then? munnu ke papa, chunnu ki mummy, Mr. ABC, Mrs. ABC? or nicknames Bunty, Babli? or by relation.. husband come here.. wife I'm home.
we call each other "hun"...now dont derail the thread
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
goes down the drain as I was told not to eat that and that i need to feed it to birds. Where am I going to find birds in January here?
Rakhiji ... all that we are is follow our religious dictates and beliefs of our ancestors ... this while trying our best to avoid falling in to the endless pit of superstitions. Its food ... biodegradable. Cant you drop in nearest pond or river? ... or leave it some where near park and nature reserve for ants and insects to feed on it? Better option ... don't you think.

Quote:
Tant maha prabho..
Pitru tarpan to be done every amavsya.. no pundit required.. it is just a few mantras that sorta pay homage to.. the father (it is done only if father is dead.. mother dead no issue both dead again yes).. his father and if the name of great grand dad is not yet forgotten him.. i.e. 3 steps above himself. 4th step is considered visarjit and joined the elite group of rishis. Rishi tarpanam is mandatory anyways whenever father is given his due admiration.. the mantras for rishi and deva tarpanam and the gestures are different and are done even if the father is alive on the day upanayam is changed.. then the ones with father still alive ajourn the sessions for pitru tarpan to continue.. etc.. deva tarpan hand position is palms pointing down with the upanayanam worn left to right and the upanayan held between thumb and index finger.. brahma rishi tarpanam is upanayan in same position with the thumb pointing upwards and pritru tarpan is with thumb pointing down with upanayan worn right to left.. meaning the upanayan is on the right shoulder and diagonaly down towards left..

Sharad is done on the thithi and the procedure involves a pundit feeding brahmins etc.. long one.

Sarvapitru tarpan is on mahalaya.. and the one that frees you of the obligation is done at kashi.. pind danam.

ALL are different. so tarpan != shraad.
Bhai Saheb, I am have problematic English skill as it is and now you burdening to me Malayalam, Telugu, and Sanskrit. Can you please help out simplistically thread original intention? Ceremony? Its purpose? Its procedure? No foreign wordings?

Old November 12th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Pelu Pelu

Cerimony: None required and that as per vedas.. simple go to a river bank, remember them fondly, miss them with no pretense, just deposit a grain of til and tulsi patta in the river as a token of appreciation you are done.

Purpose: Simply fondly remember them.. yaar mera baap aisa karta thaa. kyaa great aadmi thaa naa kinds. May be want to tell kids some of his virtues as an example.. and some nostagic funny memories/stories to kids.

Procedure: None prescribed. Just assume the person is with you and relive their legacy if possible. All the rest are pundits chonchle. You may want to give a day to folks at old age homes or try to go about educating people about something that was passionate to the dead person et. al but that is all not compulsary and you are free to do/not do any such thing.

Fact to consider.. if reincarntaion is indeed true, what you are pretending to send them as "food" cannot reach them as they are already living in this very world in another body..say barak obama could be your dad/granddads atma reincarnation. No way of finding and even if verified, I doubt he will be excited to get masala filled Indian food.

If reincarnation is not true, then the whole concept of atma is a big fat ambuk..and needs rethought.. it cannot be hangng around in thin air doing nothing right.. and even then what you pretend to feed is not reaching them and if they are lingering around as aatma clearly your procedures are either fake, not sincere or ineffective.. so no point continuing right?

So it is all a big fat way for pundits to make money.. none of those mantras help it is just fake. So use your brain and do accordingly.. doh.