eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Economy

Notices

Economy Fiscally fit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Napolean Napolean is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,995
Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Stocks discussion

From Apple iPhone thread, I see there are many stock enthusiasts. I am sure others would like to learn from them.

1.) Is Apple stock going to be flat after the new launch? Last year it had gone up after launch. This year not so much.

2.) Why is GOOGLE going down?

3.) Will Amazon split? Will it be good if it does?

4.) What are some good stocks to buy right now?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:48 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,449
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Tesla is going down after this report.

Last month, following Elon's announcement that he was considering taking the company private, Tesla received a voluntary request for documents from the DOJ and has been cooperative in responding to it," said a Tesla spokesman. "We have not received a subpoena, a request for testimony, or any other formal process. We respect the DOJ's desire to get information about this and believe that the matter should be quickly resolved as they review the information they have received.

Is it a good time to Buy Tesla then??
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 19th, 2018, 02:36 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,659
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Tesla is going down after this report.

Last month, following Elon's announcement that he was considering taking the company private, Tesla received a voluntary request for documents from the DOJ and has been cooperative in responding to it," said a Tesla spokesman. "We have not received a subpoena, a request for testimony, or any other formal process. We respect the DOJ's desire to get information about this and believe that the matter should be quickly resolved as they review the information they have received.

Is it a good time to Buy Tesla then??
seems Tesla is the most shorted stock... more people are betting on it failing than it succeeding.
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Sane Less's Avatar
Sane Less Sane Less is offline
Dead On Arrival is back
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,426
Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

When a stock is shorted (not that I understand this term), who exactly loses I understand the person shorting can either win or lose. The question is for when the shorter wins. Conversely, if the shorter loses, who stands to gain
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:55 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,449
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

^^
If the stock falls, the “shorter” wins. Else the shorter loses.

BTW, the Tesla stock was up today.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Sane Less's Avatar
Sane Less Sane Less is offline
Dead On Arrival is back
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,426
Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Doesn't explain my question. If somebody wins then correspondingly there should be someone who loses. In your explanation, you say if the stocks fall then "shorter" wins. Who is losing here? Where/who is the winner getting his money from
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 20th, 2018, 05:15 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,659
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

BTW, the Tesla stock was up today.
huh? Why? Still under cloud about Musk's take-over tweets, musk still being sued... is this because the billionaire has come forward about his trip to moon?
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:20 PM
dirty's Avatar
dirty dirty is offline
Super eCharchan
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SoCal USA
Posts: 11,392
dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
When a stock is shorted (not that I understand this term), who exactly loses I understand the person shorting can either win or lose. The question is for when the shorter wins. Conversely, if the shorter loses, who stands to gain
Shorting, or short-selling, is when an investor borrows shares and immediately sells them, hoping he or she can scoop them up later at a lower price, return them to the lender and pocket the difference. But shorting is much riskier than buying stocks, or what's known as taking a long position.
So I am shorting Tesla at $220 . It takes 3 days to trade to confirm and in 3 days the stock falls to $210 . I will buy at $210 and deliver at $220 pocketing the difference of $10 per share.

If in 3 days stock goes to $250 ...... Meri gaand lag gayi......
__________________
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:37 PM
ashdoc ashdoc is offline
senior echarchan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,489
ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

investors lose rs 3.62 lakh crore in 3 days in indian stock market---

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65872678.cms
__________________
-----
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 19th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Sane Less's Avatar
Sane Less Sane Less is offline
Dead On Arrival is back
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,426
Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Shorting, or short-selling, is when an investor borrows shares and immediately sells them, hoping he or she can scoop them up later at a lower price, return them to the lender and pocket the difference. But shorting is much riskier than buying stocks, or what's known as taking a long position.
So I am shorting Tesla at $220 . It takes 3 days to trade to confirm and in 3 days the stock falls to $210 . I will buy at $210 and deliver at $220 pocketing the difference of $10 per share.

If in 3 days stock goes to $250 ...... Meri gaand lag gayi......
Thanks... thoda samajh gaya but has given rise to more questions. So, the lender is not aware? Like, can anyone borrow my stocks without my knowledge and sell them? Or is it with full knowledge of all parties involved
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 20th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Charchila's Avatar
Charchila Charchila is offline
Temporarily Unbanned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ahmedabad, CA
Posts: 7,770
Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
From Apple iPhone thread, I see there are many stock enthusiasts. I am sure others would like to learn from them.
My take:

1.) Is Apple stock going to be flat after the new launch? Last year it had gone up after launch. This year not so much.

Only time will tell. If we're speculating, then it will probably go up at a slow and steady pace given that they've consistently beat the earnings predictions (with rare exceptions) quarter after quarter.

2.) Why is GOOGLE going down?

Is it really? Every stock goes up and down, but the trend line over a longer period seems to suggest it's moving in the upward direction.

3.) Will Amazon split? Will it be good if it does?

Speculations again, but there are no indicators. We won't really know if their BODs are talking about it behind the closed doors. It's generally good in a sense that smaller investors can join the party, but overall effect is still the same. If they split, say 10-for-1, then you'll only get 1/10th of the share compared to today; conversely, your current stocks will be multiplied by 10, but the $investment remains the same. As an investor, there is no direct benefit of a split.

4.) What are some good stocks to buy right now?

Hehe... I'm not telling

S&P 500 is the benchmark of how the market is performing. Any stock that has done as well as S&P or better yet, exceeded it, is a good stock. It's worth taking into consideration the company's long term performance to filter out the stocks driven by the "hype" factor. I also like to keep up with negative press and bad ethical practices that might drive the price down.

As stated above, this is just my take and, like like past performances, it does not guarantee future results
__________________
.
March 16, 2012: Sachin Tendulkar scores his 100th century in Inter-fucking-national cricket

Sent from my iPhone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 20th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Napolean Napolean is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,995
Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
My take:

1.) Is Apple stock going to be flat after the new launch? Last year it had gone up after launch. This year not so much.

Only time will tell. If we're speculating, then it will probably go up at a slow and steady pace given that they've consistently beat the earnings predictions (with rare exceptions) quarter after quarter.

2.) Why is GOOGLE going down?

Is it really? Every stock goes up and down, but the trend line over a longer period seems to suggest it's moving in the upward direction.

3.) Will Amazon split? Will it be good if it does?

Speculations again, but there are no indicators. We won't really know if their BODs are talking about it behind the closed doors. It's generally good in a sense that smaller investors can join the party, but overall effect is still the same. If they split, say 10-for-1, then you'll only get 1/10th of the share compared to today; conversely, your current stocks will be multiplied by 10, but the $investment remains the same. As an investor, there is no direct benefit of a split.

4.) What are some good stocks to buy right now?

Hehe... I'm not telling

S&P 500 is the benchmark of how the market is performing. Any stock that has done as well as S&P or better yet, exceeded it, is a good stock. It's worth taking into consideration the company's long term performance to filter out the stocks driven by the "hype" factor. I also like to keep up with negative press and bad ethical practices that might drive the price down.

As stated above, this is just my take and, like like past performances, it does not guarantee future results
Thanks man.

Tell me one thing - if Amazon splits and smaller investors start buying, then won't it increase the demand of the stock thereby increasing the stock price?

Although once can still buy a portion of the stock but do many people know about that?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:14 AM
kkkk kkkk is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,659
kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
Thanks man.

Tell me one thing - if Amazon splits and smaller investors start buying, then won't it increase the demand of the stock thereby increasing the stock price?
that would be the aim of splitting the stock. too high a price and transactions would start to stall. split them into smaller manageable chunks and give a boost to trade - which then results into stock prices of split stock increasing...
__________________
Winner of the Signature Contest 2013!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 26th, 2018, 11:29 AM
raniraja's Avatar
raniraja raniraja is offline
The Y A W N E S T zzzz
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Surat
Posts: 9,847
raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Stock market has many strategies for preserving wealth. Simple buying and selling of stocks is not the only thing. The big boys are usually hedged using positions in derivatives.

Also, there is something called "loss harvesting" which a lot of investors use.

In India, Reliance came to be called a "wealth destroyer" for many years from 2008. Then it took off, and has quadrupled in the last 2 years.

Of late, TataMotors (formerly TELCO) has been giving major headaches to the investors.

__________________
Nietzsche (1887) : God is dead
God (1900) : Nietzsche is dead
-----------------------------------------
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 26th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Gr8_Hindustani's Avatar
Gr8_Hindustani Gr8_Hindustani is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,895
Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Stock market has many strategies for preserving wealth. Simple buying and selling of stocks is not the only thing. The big boys are usually hedged using positions in derivatives.

Also, there is something called "loss harvesting" which a lot of investors use.

In India, Reliance came to be called a "wealth destroyer" for many years from 2008. Then it took off, and has quadrupled in the last 2 years.

Of late, TataMotors (formerly TELCO) has been giving major headaches to the investors.

Is it Modi factor?
__________________
HINDUSTANI

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are social networking stocks in a bubble? kalidas Economy 13 February 26th, 2014 02:46 PM
Stocks crash, economy to follow? CumuloNimbus Economy 4 April 17th, 2010 06:41 AM
Anybody in Mutual funds / stocks Rahul Life Abroad 6 March 10th, 2004 07:25 PM
Is it a good time to buy stocks in India? YedaAnna Economy 2 July 21st, 2003 12:51 PM
Stocks rally as war nears echarcha Economy 3 March 17th, 2003 01:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.