eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Economy

Notices

Economy Fiscally fit?

Old September 20th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stocks discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
From Apple iPhone thread, I see there are many stock enthusiasts. I am sure others would like to learn from them.
My take:

1.) Is Apple stock going to be flat after the new launch? Last year it had gone up after launch. This year not so much.

Only time will tell. If we're speculating, then it will probably go up at a slow and steady pace given that they've consistently beat the earnings predictions (with rare exceptions) quarter after quarter.

2.) Why is GOOGLE going down?

Is it really? Every stock goes up and down, but the trend line over a longer period seems to suggest it's moving in the upward direction.

3.) Will Amazon split? Will it be good if it does?

Speculations again, but there are no indicators. We won't really know if their BODs are talking about it behind the closed doors. It's generally good in a sense that smaller investors can join the party, but overall effect is still the same. If they split, say 10-for-1, then you'll only get 1/10th of the share compared to today; conversely, your current stocks will be multiplied by 10, but the $investment remains the same. As an investor, there is no direct benefit of a split.

4.) What are some good stocks to buy right now?

Hehe... I'm not telling

S&P 500 is the benchmark of how the market is performing. Any stock that has done as well as S&P or better yet, exceeded it, is a good stock. It's worth taking into consideration the company's long term performance to filter out the stocks driven by the "hype" factor. I also like to keep up with negative press and bad ethical practices that might drive the price down.

As stated above, this is just my take and, like like past performances, it does not guarantee future results

Sent from my iPhone.
Old September 20th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
My take:

1.) Is Apple stock going to be flat after the new launch? Last year it had gone up after launch. This year not so much.

Only time will tell. If we're speculating, then it will probably go up at a slow and steady pace given that they've consistently beat the earnings predictions (with rare exceptions) quarter after quarter.

2.) Why is GOOGLE going down?

Is it really? Every stock goes up and down, but the trend line over a longer period seems to suggest it's moving in the upward direction.

3.) Will Amazon split? Will it be good if it does?

Speculations again, but there are no indicators. We won't really know if their BODs are talking about it behind the closed doors. It's generally good in a sense that smaller investors can join the party, but overall effect is still the same. If they split, say 10-for-1, then you'll only get 1/10th of the share compared to today; conversely, your current stocks will be multiplied by 10, but the $investment remains the same. As an investor, there is no direct benefit of a split.

4.) What are some good stocks to buy right now?

Hehe... I'm not telling

S&P 500 is the benchmark of how the market is performing. Any stock that has done as well as S&P or better yet, exceeded it, is a good stock. It's worth taking into consideration the company's long term performance to filter out the stocks driven by the "hype" factor. I also like to keep up with negative press and bad ethical practices that might drive the price down.

As stated above, this is just my take and, like like past performances, it does not guarantee future results
Thanks man.

Tell me one thing - if Amazon splits and smaller investors start buying, then won't it increase the demand of the stock thereby increasing the stock price?

Although once can still buy a portion of the stock but do many people know about that?
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzrhino View Post
You are what they call a half glass full optimist.. In financial markets this is never the case.. when someone wins someone is always losing.. it is a zero sum game.
hahaha sure.... you half-glass-empty-cynic? always considering opportunity cost and how much could have been made?

not considering specifics, if it was zero sum game, we shouldn't be seeing share prices and various indices rising. every profit would cancel every loss as zero sum, hence no expansion... people would only sell if they are making a profit, which according to your theory would mean that buyers are making a loss, so they wouldn't buy even if someone was selling, reducing demand, crashing prices, turning profits of sellers into loss, so they wouldn't sell either and everything would come to a stop.

maybe, maybe, both of us look at it in their own way and both of us are right like Schrodinger's cat who was dead as well as alive at the same time.
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks man.

Tell me one thing - if Amazon splits and smaller investors start buying, then won't it increase the demand of the stock thereby increasing the stock price?
that would be the aim of splitting the stock. too high a price and transactions would start to stall. split them into smaller manageable chunks and give a boost to trade - which then results into stock prices of split stock increasing...
Old September 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Stock market has many strategies for preserving wealth. Simple buying and selling of stocks is not the only thing. The big boys are usually hedged using positions in derivatives.

Also, there is something called "loss harvesting" which a lot of investors use.

In India, Reliance came to be called a "wealth destroyer" for many years from 2008. Then it took off, and has quadrupled in the last 2 years.

Of late, TataMotors (formerly TELCO) has been giving major headaches to the investors.

I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old September 26th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Stock market has many strategies for preserving wealth. Simple buying and selling of stocks is not the only thing. The big boys are usually hedged using positions in derivatives.

In India, Reliance came to be called a "wealth destroyer" for many years from 2008. Then it took off, and has quadrupled in the last 2 years.

Of late, TataMotors (formerly TELCO) has been giving major headaches to the investors.

Is it Modi factor?

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old September 26th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks man.

Although once can still buy a portion of the stock but do many people know about that?

I think that's a motivating factor for companies to split -- to create more demand. However, I don't think it is necessary for the price to go up, as the value of a stock largely depends on the company's financials. It definitely increases the volatility though: more trades causing more ups and downs in it's price.

This is not true for stocks. You can only buy fractions of a mutual fund (which is a collection of stocks).

Sent from my iPhone.
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:14 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone play in Indian market? I started in IPOs in 1992. Most of what i got are junk stocks including Timex India. And i found Infy IPO in 1994 at 120 too expensive
I still have my ICICIdirect account and access it once in a while. Last i got a put option in Nifty with strike price if 10K. Obviously my pessimism was misplaced. Even after media reports of stock market plunging, it is 10,300+.
And to put it in perspective, it is still more than what it was in April (10k).
Do not go by media exaggerations. Interpret the numbers yourself.
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:16 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post

So much Jargon for free
BTW, sidhi si bhasha me samjhaoge?
Old October 8th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Does anyone play in Indian market? I started in IPOs in 1992. Most of what i got are junk stocks including Timex India. And i found Infy IPO in 1994 at 120 too expensive
I still have my ICICIdirect account and access it once in a while. Last i got a put option in Nifty with strike price if 10K. Obviously my pessimism was misplaced. Even after media reports of stock market plunging, it is 10,300+.
And to put it in perspective, it is still more than what it was in April (10k).
Do not go by media exaggerations. Interpret the numbers yourself.
I find share dealing in India both easy and complicated at the same time. ICICI direct is good to open but I have never been able to figure out their charges.
There are also complications with respect to how NRIs can do share trading - I thought I will not risk it and close my account.
for closing the account, ICICI made me run from pillar to post, from retail bank to ICICI direct branches
and still my account is not closed. it does not have a trading account associated though, so I cannot even trade.