eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

Cancer is on a distinguished road
Bread Kheerka

I assume all of us here know how to make kheer.

Now either deep fry some slices of bread or you could toast them.

Place the toasted/fried bread on a plate and pour some kheer over it. Add some saffron as garnishing.

Tastes good.And an easy desert to make.

PS: if anyone doesnt know how to make kheer please let me know
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of
Re: Bread Kheerka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer
Place the toasted/fried bread on a plate and pour some kheer over it. Add some saffron as garnishing.

Tastes good.And an easy desert to make.

Cancer Tai...something new style. Is it your own innovation ? "Bread Kheerka" good name pick up. Do you mean regular rava/shevaya/rice kheer with milk or rice kheer with jaggery?
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

i think this thing is called "double ka meetha"... famous in Andhra...

Ingredients:
1 loaf bread (small)
1 litre milk
500 gms sugar
250 gms double cream
250 gms clarified butter
100 gms chopped and roasted cashewnuts
100 gms almonds (soaked and chopped fine)
100 gms raisins
10 gm saffron
5 cardamoms, powdered

Method:
1. Cut each bread slice into four pieces. Fry them in clarified butter till golden brown.
2. Make a sugar syrup by adding half a litre of water to the sugar and boil it for 15 minutes. Add the powdered cardamom and the saffron dissolved in milk to the sugar syrup. Boil milk until it is thickened.
3. Arrange the fried bread pieces on a flat tray and sprinkle the chopped nuts on them. Pour the sugar syrup, double cream and milk alternately over the bread pieces while they are still hot.
4. Refrigerate and serve as dessert.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; June 25th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

Cancer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_to_surf
Cancer Tai...something new style. Is it your own innovation ? "Bread Kheerka" good name pick up. Do you mean regular rava/shevaya/rice kheer with milk or rice kheer with jaggery?
Yeah my own innovation. Couldnt think of a name and hence came up wit this one. Yes regular shevaya kheer.

Thanx sarv bhai for the entire recipe.

Last edited by Cancer; May 24th, 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan

Ingredients:
1 loaf bread (small)
1 litre milk
500 gms sugar
250 gms double cream
250 gms clarified butter
100 gms raisins
10 gm saffron
5 cardamoms, powdered

Method:
1. Cut each bread slice into four pieces. Fry them in clarified butter till golden brown.
2. Make a sugar syrup by adding half a litre of water to the sugar and boil it for 15 minutes. Add the powdered cardamom and the saffron dissolved in milk to the sugar syrup. Boil milk until it is thickened.
3. Arrange the fried bread pieces on a flat tray and sprinkle the chopped nuts on them. Pour the sugar syrup, double cream and milk alternately over the bread pieces while they are still hot.
We used to call this Shahi Tukda/Tukdi .. recipes are available on the web for it too... Double ka meetha is probably in Andhra only
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post

Ingredients:
1 loaf bread (small)
1 litre milk
500 gms sugar
250 gms double cream
250 gms clarified butter
100 gms raisins
10 gm saffron
5 cardamoms, powdered

Method:
Hey Sarv, where are you lately? Didn't see you around, got married?

BTW, I made this dessert this morning. I kinda cheated though. I did not deep dry the bread. I just used little ghee to toast the bread in a pan. It took a long time. After finishing the bread this way I started wondering why I didnt use the toaster instead .

I think I put too much milk and too little cream or dont know where I went wrong. The bread was way too soft, so i didnt even bother layering (its supposed to be crisp) but taste was OK. I guess the real trick is to deep fry. Oh well, next time...

Old September 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Hey Sarv, where are you lately? Didn't see you around, got married?

BTW, I made this dessert this morning. I kinda cheated though. I did not deep dry the bread. I just used little ghee to toast the bread in a pan. It took a long time. After finishing the bread this way I started wondering why I didnt use the toaster instead .

I think I put too much milk and too little cream or dont know where I went wrong. The bread was way too soft, so i didnt even bother layering (its supposed to be crisp) but taste was OK. I guess the real trick is to deep fry. Oh well, next time...

if i cook this , i will have to eat it alone. so that i dont have to throw it.
sorry too sweet too gooey too buttery

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old September 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
if i cook this , i will have to eat it alone. so that i dont have to throw it.
sorry too sweet too gooey too buttery
It wasnt supposed to be this buttery though . i just didnt get this right Dolly. I really wish some one gives me a proper recipe for me to try.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wasnt supposed to be this buttery though . i just didnt get this right Dolly. I really wish some one gives me a proper recipe for me to try.
You had the proper recipe ..... FRY the damn bread!!

Thats what gives it a little bit of bite even after soaking in the rabri. If you dont fry the bread, it will turn into mush!
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
You had the proper recipe ..... FRY the damn bread!!

Thats what gives it a little bit of bite even after soaking in the rabri. If you dont fry the bread, it will turn into mush!
deep frying is precisely what I was trying to avoid. But i guess I dont have a choice but to deep fry. Also, is it true that bread takes up too much ghee while deep frying it? I never tried it....
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
deep frying is precisely what I was trying to avoid. But i guess I dont have a choice but to deep fry. Also, is it true that bread takes up too much ghee while deep frying it? I never tried it....
yeah when u deep fry bread you do get deep fried bread.
Same reason i eat jalebi once in a while instead of baking it , imagine baked jalebis stuck on aluminium foil.

j/k

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old September 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
You can choose not to fry in ghee if you dont want to. Use clean vegetable oil, you wont lose too much in flavor, because of all the other "heavy" stuff in there.

The way we made it at home was to deep fry the bread, dip in the sugar syrup and then pour rabri on top of it. So less water content.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
yeah when u deep fry bread you do get deep fried bread.
Same reason i eat jalebi once in a while instead of baking it , imagine baked jalebis stuck on aluminium foil.

j/k
ya, lesson learned the hard way . next time maybe....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
You can choose not to fry in ghee if you dont want to. Use clean vegetable oil, you wont lose too much in flavor, because of all the other "heavy" stuff in there.

The way we made it at home was to deep fry the bread, dip in the sugar syrup and then pour rabri on top of it. So less water content.
ok, this poring on rabri means I have to make rabri also before I make this dessert! :sigh: this is too much work.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...ok, this poring on rabri means I have to make rabri also before I make this dessert! :sigh: this is too much work.
Not for laloo. Laloo has rabri ready-made

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
ya, lesson learned the hard way . next time maybe....

ok, this poring on rabri means I have to make rabri also before I make this dessert! :sigh: this is too much work.
You can buy rabri ready made